SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeanjeanremodelmachine

Cleaning concrete slab prior to hardwood floor installation?

4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Curious to hear advice on how best to clean the concrete before our hardwood floors are installed. Unfortunately, I don't think our old school G.C. did a great job of containing dust the past 9 months. The crew seemed to clean up at the end of every day for the first few months, but that seems to have curtailed the past couple of months, with the deadline frenzy to get things done. When I ask about it, I get that look that says, "You worry too much!"

With the hardwood being installed this week (it'll be floated over concrete slab), I am wondering if simply vacuuming with get the excess drywall dust off the slab or ? I was thinking of wet mopping or just damp mopping, but the floor warranty specifically states the concrete has to be perfectly dry prior to floor install. I am concerned that having lots of drywall dust etc. under the floors might be a potential health hazard. Should I rent a HEPA air filter or ?

For what it's worth, we are using an underlayment between slab and hardwood, but I expect that doesn't contain the dust very well either.

Thanks

Comments (9)