SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_354506190

Buyer wants me to repair after closing & recorded - should I?

Chris B
4 years ago

We listed our house, got an offer after 3 weeks. The inspection came, the buyer simply took every single item the inspector found and put it on their repairs request in the BINSR. We did not agree to fix everything, but fixed some things, one of which was the water pressure regulator. They came through to check out all of the repairs the day before closing. They found two things that they requested to be repaired, neither of which was on the inspection report: A handle came off of the downstairs bathroom sink, and there was a leak on the left master bathroom sink.

I went over, found the handle, put it back on and tightened the screw.

I went to the master bath, ran the water, but could not find the leak. There was a congealed, yellow water drop on the hot water hose, but I could not find any actual leak. The water pressure regulator had just been changed out that morning, so I figured the high water pressure may have caused a drip or something, I could not find a leak.

The next day (closing) they reported both issues still existed, they had pulled the handle off again and were reporting the leak still happening. My realtor and I went over, and I inspected the handle while my realtor went upstairs with the buyers broker to look at the leak. I found that the screw had stripped out, and although would tighten, would easily loosen. I went to Home Depot, bought an entirely new kit for the part I needed to replace, and replaced it, leaving the rest of the kit as extra parts for them.

Upon going upstairs, we found that if the water was left on for 4-5 minutes, it did start to leak out of the hot water connection. I had only run the water for 30 seconds or so, now water had come out. Their broker and my realtor agreed that the issue was the hot water connection, so I agreed to replace that. I did so, ran the water for 3-4 minutes, found no leaks. The sale closed and was recorded Friday afternoon.

Saturday I get a text, they are saying the sink is still leaking. We asked for details, they said out of the black pipe. We paid for a 2 year home warranty as part of the closing, I don't know what to do.

My wife and I find it troubling that we used this sink for years without ever finding a leak, the inspector did not find a leak, but upon their final inspection, the buyer suddenly finds a leak. We fixed what we both agreed upon was the issue - and now they find another issue. This buyer has been very difficult, their expectation is like they are buying a new house, they wanted every little thing fixed. My concern is that if I go over there and try to fix something - it is not my house anymore, I don't want suddenly for them to claim that I did something wrong and blame me for further issues. My wife think that during their inspection, they pulled or yanked on plumbing and caused the issue in the first place, since we never had any problem of the sort.

Any advice? Should I even go back over and try to fix the issue? Even if it is leaking, we fixed what everyone agreed on was the problem, and this is something other than that. It was not requested to be repaired in the BINSR, it was not found to be leaking by the inspector.

Comments (31)