SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joealvord

Fall update. I'll try to post photos.

We are getting into Fall here. Peter Schneider is shipping lilacs and roses tomorrow to me. It has been a great Summer really. My Spring trip to Italy made me miss some Spring flush here. We had 8 days hit 100 F and a few days of smoke at the most. We've had a bit of rain start again in August after June and July with none. We had 28 inches of rain this past rain year (10/1/18 - 9/30/19) which was over our average.

I think the alfalfa hay mulch and arborist wood chip mulch really helped my plants stay cooler. I think my pre Fall fish fertilizer/alfalfa potion helped a few plants. I really have just been doing dormant Winter manure and organic plant Tone and by September some plant's tank had run dry. I might consider adding the pre Fall boost every year.

One negative is the sunburn damage on some rose canes preceded the dreaded flat head apple borer damage on at least 7 large wonderful canes that then had to be pruned off because the cane wilted with the worm in the center. It was very ugly, trust me. I hope the Teas can cope, because they hate pruning. I hope you are heading into Fall in good spirits, all.

Comments (23)