SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

random thoughts on chrysanthemums

Marie Tulin
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I regret not trying more mums this year. I have 3 perennial varieties in full bloom: Sheffield Pink,

Cambodian Queen, Will's Wonderful and an unknown which looks like it will be dark red.

I found a thread from 2009 from "Linnea" whom I don't think posts here any more. I wanted to know how her mum growing experiment had gone.

"prairie moon" you also posted. You had three at the time and just bought 3 more.

Just to pass the time and whet my appetite I looked around the web for awhile and read about Mammouth Mums and the U of Minn. research. The most fun was "King's Mum's" which is in Oklahoma . Their mums are the stuff of fantasies: quills, spoons, buttons, anemones, spiders, gnomes. I started to think "I can do that." Not. Read a little further about disbudding, constant fertilizing, staking; the display and competitive forms are an art that require patience, knowledge and exceptional fine motor skills with a tiny scissors or thumb and forefinger.

I suppose one starts at the beginning. Get them to grow and live then fool around them as skills improve.

Do you have new perennial mums you've tried recently? Is 'advanced' chrysanthemum culture something you can imagine enjoying? Several of the growers on the king's website were at least in their 80's. and I realized a 'specialty' garden niche like this could allow one to enjoy advanced gardening without the strength and stamina needed to maintain a perennial garden.

I can see the benefits of that!

Marie

Comments (43)