SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patricia_bell

Calling All Travertine Floor Homeowners & Experts

Patricia Bell
4 years ago

Would love to get some input from people who own travertine floors in high traffic areas and of course any “Pros“ out there. We purchased a home in May that we are currently renovating. It is time to do the kitchen area. When we purchased the home the first thing we did was get rid of the old, dated Berber carpeting and replace it with beautiful dark wood floors (real wood). We did the dark wood everywhere except for some of the high traffic areas where the home currently has beige porcelain tile. Those areas are: the kitchen and open concept family room right off the kitchen, as well as the hallway that leads into the kitchen from the garage. I love continuity in flooring in an open concept floor plan (which is what we basically have) but when we put the wood floors in, we decided not to bust out the existing tile due to expense and the mess of pulling tile out.

We are now ready to update the kitchen and have discovered that many of the tiles in this area are missing grout and have come loose. After talking to our contractor it sounds like we might just need to put new flooring in in this area after all.

Our home has a beautiful “Santa Barbara” feel to it and that is the look I am going with inside the home as well. I prefer natural, elegant, and rustic as my design elements. I now have 3 choices: continue with the wood flooring into the family room, kitchen, and hallway; go with with travertine (which I love); or choose something more durable but maybe less stylish like a porcelain tile.

Taking the wood flooring into these areas is a no brainer from an aesthetic standpoint, but I am worried about putting wood in my kitchen for all the obvious reasons. I love the look of travertine, but I am aware of how porous it is and I’m wondering if anyone out there has used it in high traffic areas, and has real life experience with whether or not it really does stain that easily if it is properly sealed? How often does it have to be sealed, etc?

We are mostly empty-nesters, but I do have two adorable twin grandsons who are two years old and are into everything LOL. I don’t want to have a home that I have to treat as a “museum“ when they are over. We have one small dog who doesn’t require too much maintenance. That’s about it. Even though I don’t love the current porcelain tiles that we are looking to replace, one thing I will say is that it’s nice to not have to worry when my dog drips water all over etc.

Sorry for the long post, wanted to give as much info as possible. Thanks for anybody who is willing to give input!

Comments (14)