SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texas_gem

What to include in Thanksgiving basket?

Texas_Gem
4 years ago

I'm on the PTA board at my local elementary school. We are a Title 1 school, meaning the majority of our students come from low income families.
The position I've taken on this year includes discreetly delivering snack paks (Google Snack Pak 4 kids to learn more) every week as well as arranging the donations and putting together Thanksgiving baskets.
The Thanksgiving baskets are all of the ingredients the family would need for a Thanksgiving meal. A turkey, potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, cornbread mix, stuffing, pie makings, etc. Basically each family gets a bunch of groceries to provide their family with a nice Thanksgiving meal.
I've been thinking and wondering what else I could include that would make it a truly memorable gift?
Most of the people who donate, and frankly most of the PTA board itself, has never been poor. Their focus is solely on food food and more food.
While I'm certain the families ARE very grateful for the groceries and the ability to have a nice Thanksgiving meal with their family without breaking their bank, I would like to elevate it somehow. Provide something more. I'm just not sure what.
A nice cloth tablecloth? A bouquet of flowers?
Some candles and candleholders to set the table? Some new kitchen towels or maybe some utensils? SOMETHING that will make the meal MORE than just a meal, something that will perhaps last after the meal is done?
Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments (38)