SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megkantar

Help picking a countertop!

megkantar
4 years ago

I am building a new home and can’t decide on countertops. I love the look of qaurtzite but it is unfortunately not in the budget. I have narrowed it down to the lightest granite I can find and to a quartz with some marbling. My cabinets are white dove (or dove white) and my floors are a medium toned maple with some distressing. Planning on doing a white subway tile or light grey subway backsplash. Please help!

Left is the quartz and right is the granite

Comments (59)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

the usual answer is No. but again, if you're dealing with cheap knock offs, you may have issues. That's why i'm surprised that your budget allows for quartz, but not the other. unless you're looking at an exotic, they're usually the same price.

• megkantar
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes I did see those options.
    Now you have me wondering if I should be concerned about the quality of the quartz. I even priced out a Caesarstone quartz and it was still similar in price to granite (maybe slightly more) and the quartzite was significantly more.

• Related Discussions

Help Pick Counter Stools for my Kitchen

Q

Comments (24)
    Thank you everyone for your confirmation of what I knew already. I just needed a push to make the decision. I am so bad at making decisions. I waffle back and forth and go over and over it in my head, and it is nice to have found you all to help me and give me food for thought. I have been on the kitchen forum for over a year, but I never posted much, was mostly a lurker. Many there just plain out intimidated me with their knowledge of the tiniest details of kitchen design and planning and the opinions to go with it. I did learn many things there and it helped me immensely in planning my kitchen, but I have to say I feel much more comfortable on this forum and I see myself spending much more time here now. Thanks again!
    ...See More

Need help picking countertop/Silgranit sink color

Q

Comments (11)
    So my husband and I looked at the samples again and decided we only want the Mojave countertop (which will also be our backsplash) (http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces/en_US/assets/flash/gallery_colors/colors.html?product=corian&chipname=Mojave). So there will be a lot of Mojave going on. Now that we've decided on that, there are fewer options/combos for the sink. We have all black appliances. Cabinets are maple with praline stain. Here are our options. Which would you go with, given color and function? 1. Sink in Silgranit-biscuit (to match countertop) 2. Sink in Silgranit-cafe brown (to match countertop & cabinets) 3. Sink in Silgranit-anthracite (to match appliances) 4. Sink in Stainless steel Thanks in advance for your input!
    ...See More

Needing help picking out counter tops!!

Q

Comments (1)
    I would go for a solid gray, I think, lighter than your floors. also, switch location of dishwasher and sink -- you need a landing spot for hot pans next to the stove, as well as prep space between sink and stove.
    ...See More

help picking my countertop

Q

Comments (19)
    regina, I was just showing you the tiles, not the marble. Encore Ceramics make these gorgeous tiles in different glazes. (matte, crackle, glossy, and all sorts of colors) plus, they have different size subways, as well as other shapes. if you're having white cabinets, then I think doing something w/a bit of color contrast would like nice against those dark veins of the quartzite. that's why I posted the black and white one, just to show you the color options. the last one w/the silvery gray glaze would be very pretty w/your stone.
    ...See More
  • lindacottonwood
    4 years ago

Take the suggestions Beth has given you. We went to a stone yard with quite a few remnants and found 1/2 slab of Sea Pearl Quartzite for our Master bathroom. It was way less than the Ultra white Quartz.

• megkantar
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I will definitely look around. I just went back to my original quote to make sure and the super white quartzite was 8000 more than the quartz. Not sure why

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

what?? 8000 for super white? so i'm clear, how many slabs do you need, where do you live, and what kind of fabricating are we talking about? (do you have two levels, or one extra wide spot?)

I can get you a slab of super white for 1500 bucks. no problem. to fabricate it, that one slab, shouldn't be more than 3K.

this was mine that I got for 700, and that included fabrication for my vanity!

• megkantar
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I would need about 100 square feet so 2 slabs for the kitchen. I believe I was quoted for the kitchen, bathrooms and laundry room. Not sure exactly how many slabs that would be but the quote was 18000 (Canadian dollars) for kitchen, butlers pantry, 3 bathrooms and laundry. I wasn’t going to do the same quartzite everywhere but was just trying to get an idea of pricing. Quartz was 10,000 for the same areas.

• megkantar
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow great deal Beth!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

ok,,so you need 2 slabs and all of the fabricating. that makes more sense. maybe Super White is more difficult to get in Canada. I know it's pretty reasonable here. (and it's also a Dolomite, not a quartzite, regardless of what they tell you!)

I just got the Eternal Serena quartz, 1 slab, and it came to a little over 4.5 for cost and fabrication. But I got a calacatta marble for the island with a special sealer from the factory, and that thing was pricey. over 8

• megkantar
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Haha ya must be! And yes I did read that it was a dolomite which is also why I was hesitant to spend the money on quartzite that could be mislabeled.

• kariyava
    4 years ago

I like that alaska white counter. I don't think it will be too busy, especially since you are planning on a white splash anyway.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

well, i have had zero issues with it, so I must have gotten one with more quartz deposits in it!

Alaska White can be nice, but it is a bit busier looking. it all depends on how you want your kitchen to look. the two countertops you've picked are quite different looking.

• megkantar
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Not sure if this makes a difference or helps but we will have a fireplace with built ins (open concept floor plan) with a brick veneer similar the one shown and stained mantle. The mantle will be thicker than the one pictured.

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

Around here (Metro NYC area), many stone yards are trying to sell Dolomite as Quartzite, which is another reason I wouldn't go that route. It's so hard to be sure of what you're getting. As long as the quartz comes from a reputable company (you had mentioned Caesarstone), LG Viatara, Silestone, Cambria, I would be pretty sure I was getting the real thing.

• megkantar
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The slab I sent a picture of is from a company called CQS. I haven’t been able to find any reviews so I am hesitating a bit. Could anyone recommend a similar quartz from a more reputable company?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

I just saw this Alaska Calacatta white quartz. kind of cool looking. similar to Brittanica

• megkantar
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I don’t love the veining in that one, maybe a little too pronounced for me

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

yes, they do. but some people like the more modern, marble look quartz. In the right kitchen, they work. If you're more traditional, it won't. I like the real stuff, but it comes at a cost.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

did you look at Shadow Storm quartzite? that should be a reasonable price. and it would work great w/your fireplace

• megkantar
    Original Author
    4 years ago

No I did not. I went to the stone supplier and just picked options they had in stock there.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

it's not an exotic. try going to another stone yard.

Cambria has this one that works w/your fireplace

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

This site is horrendous tonight w/adding photos.

look at Princess White Granite too.

or maybe this gray one

• megkantar
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks so much will contact some fabricators tomorrow for other options.

• crystalpea
    4 years ago

The quartzite in my area is usually priced much higher than quartz too. We were looking at Calacatta Quartzite and the slabs were about $3k-$4k more than quartz.

If you have a Daltile in your area they are a larger company and have two different quartz colors that are close-ish to the picture you shared. One is Carrara Aura and the other is Carrara Veil.

• megkantar
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I also like demasco white quartzite but not sure if I love this particular slab. Is it too cool? I have white dove cabinets, BM silver satin walls and have already ordered a gold faucet.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Yes, the granite yard and the stone fabricator’s shop are good places to find broken or partial slabs for much less money. With your measurements in hand, plus a sample of your cabinet paint, go looking for counters. Whites can clash, so study how any white in counter material looks next to your cabinet color.

• Trish Walter
    4 years ago

i personally like granite for the indestructible qualities. Beth has shown some beauties.

Meg...love your floors. What brand color etc? Thanks.

Trish

• megs1030
    4 years ago

@megkantar, I like that demasco white quartzite you showed and I think it would look gorgeous with brass fixtures! Did you bring a cabinet door or sample with you? Whites can look funny together.

• muskokascp
    4 years ago

I think granite and quartzite are more durable and less prone to chipping than quartz. In my kitchen area I have soapstone, quartzite and quartz. I'm in Canada too. What province are you in?

• megkantar
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@trishwalter the floors are kentwood elements hard maple lemur.

• megkantar
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@muskokascp I am in Ontario

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

I like the Alaska White and White Ice granites the best so far, too. Lots more interesting than the other suggestions, AFAIC. Busier, yes but not 'too' busy.

• mvcanada
    4 years ago

Hi megkantar, you said Ontario, but I don't know if you are nearby to Toronto. If so, I would recommend coming to the city on a business day and go visit Silestone and Caesarstone showrooms. Silestone is just south of Yorkdale mall - in a design district - you could spend all day there. Nearby is Saltillo Tiles so stop in there to see some backsplash tile ideas (You'll recognize the place if you watch Sarah Richardson on HGTV). Elte is also nearby - bring your pocketbook and browse - Oh my - so many beautiful things. And Gingers for Kitchen and bath stuff.

The Caesarstone showroom is up just nearby to Vaughan Mills Mall (hello shopping!). And that area is full of stone and tile places.

Ciot is there as well and they have a LOT of stone to choose from. It is absolutely worth going for a walk through. They also have a "surplus" stone area - I don't know if you'll find what you are looking for in the surplus area but there might be some options for washrooms or powder room counters.

Silestone and Caesarstone are only open on business days but Ciot is open at the weekend.

For fabrication - there are many to choose from. I can recommend Marble & Marble, which is nearby to Ciot and Caesarstone. We've had very good service from them.

Stop into some of the tile shops up there too - they are full of ideas.

Enjoy the hunt!

• megkantar
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you. I am about 4 hours away from Toronto so I don’t think I will have a chance to get up there anytime soon.

• megkantar
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@ Beth H what do you think about the quartzite I posted. It’s still more than the quartz but not as much of a difference as the superwhite.

• megkantar
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@ Beth H what do you think about the quartzite I posted. It’s still more than the quartz but not as much of a difference as the superwhite.

• megkantar
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sorry meant to post pics for comparison

• Vicki Magee
    4 years ago

I didn't want the business of the look of granite or upkeep of some of the natural stones so I went with CORIAN. Take a look at it before you decide. It is so easy to care for and is absolutely gorgeous. I have never had a second thought about this decision. It is worth a look. Everyone who comes over asks about it. It is softer than the stone and not as cold.

• Yesica Jure
    4 years ago

I went with quartz. However if I would have had to gone with granite the only one I didn't dislike was the image you posted which over here is called thunder white.

• megs1030
    4 years ago

I'm not a pro... but the look of quartz can never compete with the beauty of a natural stone, in my opinion. The slabs you posted are gorgeous!! You stated in your initial post that quartzite was out of the question due to cost. But it seems like you've found a quartzite that you LOVE that I'm assuming is in the budget...? I don't believe you've stated that you love the quartz.

What do you love?

Is it in your budget?

Do you know the pros and cons of quartz and quartzite?

Do you understand the upkeep of quartzite?

Has anyone explained the drawbacks of quartz?

Do the slabs go with your cabinets and other finishes?

If you purchase quartz, will you see the same pattern?

Have you laid out your counter templates on any of the slabs?

• megkantar
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes this quartzite is still a bit higher priced than we would like but we can make it work. I have done some research about the pros and cons of both types of stone. I like things about both. I have a sample of quartz (they didn’t have a sample of the one I picked but it’s the same company) I tested a few things on it and it seemed to stain pretty easily which I am concerned about. I am also concerned because I read a lot about quartz scratching and chipping easily.

Should I be concerned about the same things with the quartzite? Does anyone know is this one tends to be a true quartzite? It’s called demasco white. I know I will have to seal it regularly. They don’t have a sample that I can take home and test. I do know someone who has had the same stone and hasn’t had any issues with it so far.

I have not laid out a template on the slabs. Not sure if I would be able to do that.

I hope I answered all your questions megs lol

• ulisdone
    4 years ago

Your floors and walls look very warm, so ( as others have said ) please take samples of your finishes while shopping. My experience is that most stones and quartzes lean more to the cool side ( blue/ grey ). And bring samples into your house for verification.

• megkantar
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I posted this photo to show the sample of my floor and cabinet colour against the bottom of the slab. Unfortunately I won’t be able to bring a sample home to see.

• Lisa Laird
    4 years ago

I was told quartzite stains too easily for a kitchen. Does it stain easier than quartz?

• megkantar
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I don’t know about the staining. I am
    Not able to bring home a sample unfortunately.

• crystalpea
    4 years ago

I’ve seen quite a few instances of quartzite being “soft” and as prone to staining and etching as marble. For me, being able to test the quartzite would be necessary. It’s a lot of money to spend without knowledge of how the stone will perform/hold up to use in your kitchen.

• sondramartina
    4 years ago

We installed white subway tiles and Ceasarstone Frosty Carrina quartz countertop. If you are in the GTA check this place. We bought it there and they installed it as well. Their prices are fair and their quality of workmanship is excellent. https://www.dreamstonekitchen.ca/

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

Just make sure the quartzite is actually that. Many times it's actually Dolomite (a form of marble), and will not hold up any better than marble. You'd be very unhappy in the end. Test the stone before you buy. You many not get what you're paying for. This link will tell you how. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2438427/countertop-geology-part-5-marble-quartzite-and-other-favorites - I've never heard of quartz staining. That's one of the reasons it is so popular today. What did you put on it that stained? Was it a name brand quartz. There seem to be cheaper knock-offs of that as well. Do you homework thoroughly as you seem to be. I have no skin in the game as I don't like either quartz or quartzite. I'm a marble girl despite it's drawbacks.

• megs1030
    4 years ago

Haha @megkantar! They were rhetorical questions, but I'm glad you answered.

There are some issues reported about quartzite staining, many threads on here, just do a search. We purchased a quartzite called White Lux and it stained during fabrication. I'm not sure why. Neither the distributor or fabricator would give me any answers. The distributor swore it was in fact a quartzite and the fabricator claimed he had never seen that happen before on any stone. Both are highly reputable and highly respected vendors in my area. We had to select another stone and I did choose a different quartzite that should be installed this week or next. I love the look of quartzite and marble, not a fan of quartz whatsoever. I will be asking for a small sample of the stone we chose and I will do my own tests on it to determine how soft it is.

All that being said, I know you cannot put a hot pot directly on quartz, I have seen issues about chipping and scratching, etc. At this point for you I think it comes down to looks and cost.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

meg, I've never heard of that name, but it looks like White Python. should have large crystal deposits. I like it, but like all the other quartzite, you'll want to test it for etching and such. lemon juice test and the scratch test, (take a glass tile and see if the corner of the stone will scratch the glass. if it does, you have quartzite. if it doesn't and leaves powder, you have a piece of marble)