SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_423183922

Getting paint under poly / in stain out of hardwood floors

Joe Blow
4 years ago

I recently purchased a new construction home. It looks like while the floors were not yet dry they let painters come in who got paint trapped in the stain or poly/top coat. The builer's floor guys had originally said they needed to go all the way down and fully refinish to fix the issue. We moved out and they did a screen and recoat instead of the full job. Now they are saying there was no point in doing the full refinishing because the paint would not have come out anyway - "it's deep in there and will seep its way back up no matter what". It's hard to tell if they are trying to get out of work or actually trying to save me time. Seem's like they changed the story.

They got rid of paint in a few places, but in a lot of places you still see paint. There are some places I do not remember there being paint, and I asked if instead maybe this was an area where they didn't do a good job refinishing, they said no of course.

Would it be worth the effort to force the builder to find someone else to do a full job or am I hoping for something that will never be fixed and refinishing might not be worth the time / result in other issues?

Currently, the flooring company said they will try to stain over the white spot - is that a normal method for this problem is there a risk it will make things worse? If they do this do they do it ontop of the poly or can they spot screen and recoat (and if they can is there a risk that will make the area look bad and I should skip them trying this?)

Here is a small area with a lot of these white splotches under the top coat. Most of the other ones are more spread our and individualized.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH