SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joel_bc

Matured blueberry-bush care?

joel_bc
4 years ago

We have a dozen highbush blueberry plants that I planted about 20 years ago. They vary in size, but the largest now produce canes/branches about seven-feet tall, and would bush out to five feet across except that I've contained them a fence arrangement with wooden stakes and bands of polypropylene webbing. By the way, I'm careful to keep soil pH low. Questions related to fruit production:

1. I've noticed that the bushes on the west side of my blueberry patch have been producing far fewer berries than those in the middle or west side of the patch. I suspect it's because we have some hazelnut trees some yards away from the west edge, and they've now grown big enough to be casting a shadow on the nearest blueberry bushes. They seem to limit sunlight to the tees on that side for some hours of the day in the summer. Is this likely the problem?

2. I've made a habit of pruning out oldest canes, stubby shoots, broken branchlets and somewhat limiting the number of canes in each bush. But I wonder whether cutting down the tall canes (say, those over maybe 65"... or maybe even shorter?) might itself result in encouraging flowering and fruit production, rather than tall wood production?

Thanks for info and opinions.

Comments (2)