SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_f1647

Help! Garage removal dilemma

Kristin F.
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Our house was built in the 1930s and moved to it's current location after a major flood. Originally the house had a garage, but it was detached so it was left at the original building site. The owners poured a new foundation with a small attached basement garage at the new location. They had problems with snow drifts, so they covered the rock retaining wall and concrete steps with what we call the "curved garage." That was 35 years ago, and now it's rotting and infested with snakes and wasps, not to mention unsightly.I want to take it down but my husband likes the functionality (keeps things out of the weather and he may someday need a garage with electricity for a work motorcycle). This is our only "garage" although it's too narrow to park our cars. We do have other outbuildings to re-home things, just not vehicles. My husband's wood shop is now where the original attached garage is, and there's a man door where the garage door used to be.If we do take it down he also wants to dismantle the wall, regrade the yard, and add a garage door and short straight retaining wall off of the shop garage.Should we take it down? If so, what would you do after it's down? Any advice?

Comments (10)