SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

What are the pitfalls of selling without an agent.

My house has been on the market for over a year. It’s a unique property in that it is 12 acres in a fairly pricey area. We get a lot of traffic, but usually it’s a builder who wants to turn it into a subdivision but as the frontage is 48 feet on the road it can never be developed in that way. So it will have to be a buyer who wants a gentleman‘s estate so to speak. The area is zoned for livestock so there can be horses or cattle, etc.

I have a group of wonderful girlfriends who know how desperate we are to sell and have actively been trying to help in any way possible. Recently one of my girlfriends was at a dinner and met a guy who was looking to move into the area and mentioned wanting a place where his daughters could keep their horses. She has the key code for the house so she met up with him and showed him around as they were right up the road, Anyway the guy is going to talk to the city about the logistics of building a barn and such. The listing with my agent is due to run out in January and he said he’d rather wait and buy without the agent and be able to save some money on the transaction, meaning we would split the savings.

I‘m nervous about issues doing that, meaning I’m not aware of all that could go wrong so it probably will. Or will a good real estate attorney be what we need, and the agent is superfluous at that point?

I told the guy that I was going to let the contract run it’s course and if the agent got a sale then I was going to go with it assuming it’s a good offer, but if not we could talk at that point.

I would never want to deny the agent their commission as long as they brought the sale, but in this case I don’t feel bad as my girlfriend is the one who found this guy.

My real hope is that his wife doesn’t want to wait and they just make the offer to our agent.

Comments (9)