SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancita_gw

Selling an inherited home without agent?

nancita
11 years ago

Hi all,

Well, this is complicated. My beautiful Mother passed away last December, leaving my sister and I both exerutrix 50/50. I live 100 miles away. The house needs updating and I suggested we do the minimal to put it on the market. She spent $9000 painting and doing some odd improvements.

When my Mother was alive, here finances were low. My sister kicked in a bit of money to help her with upkeep of the house. I have a feeling she will want to include that when the house sells.

Also, her husband has his realtor's license but has no clue about FSBO or even how to put the house into MLS. They have a huge HOUSE FOR SALE sign on the front lawn with my brother-in-laws phone number. He has received many calls but it's probably a combination of the price and the fact the house looks a lot smaller than it is.

In any case, I feel I have to go along with the very casual way they have gone about "trying" to sell the house. I forgot to mention my sister was fixing the house up originally to rent it! She casually mentioned it and I told her I never had any intention of going down that road.

So, does anyone have any words of wisdom I might share with my sister regarding how to proceed with selling the house? I would appreciate any thoughts.

Thank you.

Comments (22)