SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Design advice needed

4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

This lilac tree was an overgrown shrub when I moved it, I limbed it up into a nice-looking clump standard. Unfortunately, large sections of it have died this summer -- I broke off a branch of the dead part to take a close look, thought maybe there's a chance it set buds for next year (i.e. leaf loss but branches are alive), but nope, they're dead. So, it has to go -- I'll have it removed when I get some tree trimming done in the late winter (including a major limbing-up of the maple to the side of it).

Anyway, my decision now is whether to replace it with another multi-trunk specimen. I really like the architectural element the trunks lend to the bed, and it gives me a bit more privacy from the neighbor, but I'm undecided whether to just put a regular shrub there vs something taller trained into a multi-trunk standard. If I go for the same look, I'm considering a native serviceberry (Amelanchier). What do you think -- clumping standard look or regular shrub? Any suggestions as to what type of woody? (small multi-trunk tree or large shrub I can prune to form)

Oh, I should also mention my goal is to have this butt-ugly deck replaced with a stone patio within 5 years, so another reason I'm considering the small clumping standard is I think it will be nice to have a shady area on the patio to sit under. But main reason is I just like how it looks LOL!

(pics in next post)

Comments (6)