Anyone still use bath mats?

always1stepbehind

The towel type. I have a couple I've picked up probably at Ross or TJ Maxx years ago... but I don't seem to see towel type bath mats much anymore. I happened to come across some at Ikea. Was so surprised to them. I picked up a couple and very happy with them. Next time I go, I'll grab a couple more.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/alstern-bath-mat-beige-30449239/

SaveComment23Like2
Comments (23)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DawnInCal

The only place I see that type of mat anymore is in hotel rooms.

We use a bathroom rug (without rubber backing) that gets washed once a week. There are three of them currently in circulation; when one is in the laundry, a clean one comes out of the closet. That allows me to alternate colors and means less wear and tear on the rugs over time.

The last ones I bought were from Costco. They are super thick and make feet feel very well cushioned. I think they were a one time thing as I haven't seen those rugs there since. I wish I had bought a couple more than I did.

1 Like Save    
kris_zone6

We use them and I see them whenever I buy towels.

1 Like Save    
DawnInCal

Returning to add that I had to return one out of three as it started to unravel, but the other two are holding up great.

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

That's all we use. We buy ours along with our towels.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

We use bath mats, some are towel-like and others are cotton small rug-like.

I'll have to take a look at the one you linked to next time I'm at Ikea. It looks to be typical of Ikea's product line, very functional and good value for money.

Save    
morz8

Always the towel weight. Yes, I use them in three baths. I appreciate that they are towel weight and can be washed (white in hot water) and dried with towels...they are often listed as tub mat not bath mat at that weight, with no backing. We don't find them slippery on tile floors. So far ;0)

I'll have to look at the Ikea line. I think the last I bought were Lands Ends Supima cotton but about $25 ea.

Save    
Rose Pekelnicky

Thank you for sharing. I will have to look at them. My daughter and I are planning an IKEA trip on Columbus day - 2hr drive each way for us.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I have seen nice ones at Tuesday Morning and the At Home store.

1 Like Save    
Lindsey_CA

Cuddledown has bath mats.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I def. use them, and they have not been so easy to find at dept. stores in the past, that's for sure. Maybe that's changing?

Last time I was looking, I found some nice 100% cotton ones on ebay - or maybe it was Amazon - and they were not very expensive either. I've learned to use the search term 'tub mat' instead of 'bathmat' for better results. Macy's carries Martha Stewart's lines of towels and there are matching tub mats.

ETA: Wow! I just checked Macy's and they have a whole bunch now.

2 Likes Save    
littlebug zone 5 Missouri

We use a towel mat in our master bath. It’s white, nice and fluffy, and I bought it when I bought nice new thick white towels at Kohl’s (on sale plus a % off coupon).

Save    
terilyn

We use thick mats from Restoration Hardware. They are so soft and have lasted for about 15 years with weekly washing. Bought them and their bath sheets on sale cause regular prices are ridiculous.

Save    
wantoretire_did

Yes, and only 100% cotton.

Save    
OutsidePlaying

Yes we use them. I recently bought a cotton towel type at BB&B for the lake and have a similar one at home in our guest bath. I have one from (I think) Frontgate that is very thick, reversible and more like a rug. They have an array of colors, or did when I purchased a few years ago.

Save    
Debby

I have two pink ones. No idea where I got them from, I've had them forever. They're the size of a hand towel.

Save    
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I really like this LAND'S END bath mat and have several to rotate out for two of my bathrooms. The other bath is smaller and I use a smaller, but similar mat in there.

Save    
marylmi

I like the thicker towel like mats. When the Kmart in my area closed I picked up 6 of the white mats. Two years ago while at The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, I bought two white mats in their gift shop with "Grand Hotel"on them. They are nice with just the right amount of weight so they don't bunch up and I think they are just a little heavier than the ones from Kmart, but both kinds are nice.

Save    
PRO
Anglophilia

That's all I use, too. I don't like bath rugs - far more difficult to wash than a mat. I bought the ones I have now in the towel dept at Bed, Bath & Beyond. I like them as if I cut my leg shaving and a bit of blood gets on them, I can just soak them with a bit of bleach and it comes right out. I always buy white ones so they can be bleached. Mine are kept folded over the side of the tub.

Save    
grapefruit1_ar

That is all we have used forever.

Save    
Condo Home

I only use towel type bath mats and I'm grateful for this thread.

rhizo, Thanks for posting that Lands End bath mat. I needed a new one and I was able to get 40% off and free shipping with code: PINECONE and pin: 1122. It's good through Sept. 30.

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

I used to purchase them at Tuesday Morning and BB&B. The ones from Tuesday Morning I liked better. However a hand towel would work the same way. Being older it has been suggested that there should be nothing rug like in the bathroom to prevent slips and falls.

Save    
cherryfizz

I have loads of hand towels and I use them for bath mats

Save    
cynic

I use a towel. I gave up on the idea of a separate "bath mat" decades ago. Nothing more than a towel anyway. I take the hand towel and use that, then get a fresh towel for washing hands. One less "gadget" around. I'm a person who opposes one-trick ponies and avoid them when possible, especially when a multi-function item does as well. Likewise I've thrown away my Crock-pots, never got caught up in the rice cooker fad and other items.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Bathroom Color Bathed in Color: How to Get White Right in the Bath
Get the pure look you want without going institutional by paying attention to tone, texture and sheen in an all-white bathroom
Full Story
Bathroom Color Bathed in Color: When to Use Pink in the Bath
Even a sophisticated master bath deserves a rosy outlook. Here's how to do pink with a grown-up edge
Full Story
David Small Designs is an award winning custom home design firm that specializes designing the perfect home for... Read More