SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fb02

New windows & natural light, input on VT values please

fb02
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I'm going to be purchasing new windows and am concerned about how much natural light I may lose.

My house is in zone 5. I have decent natural light. A couple windows will get a little direct sun in late afternoon through evening but the rest just get indirect light. In the winter on the north side because the sofa sits against two windows I can feel the cold even with plastic over them. But I also know the windows are not properly insulated around the framing which will be fixed when the new ones go in.

Of course I want my new windows to insulate better but honestly I'm more concerned with losing the natural light I get. It was actually one of the "must haves" when I was house hunting. Because I get such little direct sun and we get more than our share of cloudy days I do not want my house to be any darker than it is. Nor do I want a green tint cast on my interior. It is hard to picture the VT values and how much I may or may not notice a difference.

I've gone down the rabbit hole of research and feel I am making things harder than I need. I wanted to get opinions especially when it comes to the VT numbers with what people have and whether they noticed a difference or not. And if Low-E is really necessary for everyone? I don't know if I'm allowed to request the coating be left off. I know what the values stand for but not sure how to apply them in choosing what is best for my situation.

Double Pane

(High Performance Low-E, Argon Gas. Energy Star certified Northern/North Central)
U-Factor: .27
SHGC: .27
VT: .50
CR: 60

Triple Pane
(High Performance Low-E applied to 2 panes, Argon Gas. Energy Star certified all states)
U-Factor: .19
SHGC: 23
VT: .37
CR: 71

Comments (14)