SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pseudochef

New here...looking for input with kitchen...island hood

pseudochef
11 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm new here and have been reading through all the posts on the kitchen forum. There's so much good information. We are in the beginning stages of a kitchen remodel and I could use some help. Functionally my kitchen works very well for me. I like my work space/work triangle and I am able to store everything I need. That being said, the house is from 1973 and the cabinets are getting rather old and gunky. Also, they hang lower than standard so I only have 13 inches of clearance from countertop to upper cabinet which means I can't store some things below the upper cabinets. I have met with a few different contractors and will likely be going the route of all new cabinets. I am hoping for new flooring, countertops, appliances, recessed lighting, removing the fur downs, etc. My biggest problem is with what to do with the island hood. Would leaving it in place and having it faux finished to match the new cabinets still leave my kitchen feeling heavy? I am not super fond of all of the stainless island hoods as they look quite modern and I have more traditional taste. The kitchen I like best so far in terms of design ideas is this one, https://www.houzz.com/photos/tudor-kitchen-remodel-traditional-kitchen-minneapolis-phvw-vp~325818-Kitchen-Remodel-traditional-kitchen-minneapolis so you can see my taste. So if you have any suggestions for the island hood or ways to improve my kitchen please let me know. I've been so impressed with what is presented on this forum I'd be happy to have some feedback and inspiration.

I'll also add that whatever I do needs to be super easy to clean as I'm due to have my 5th child this summer and there's lots of dirt floating around with all of these kids. Also, the eating area is cramped with just the 6 of us but I haven't been able to figure out a good solution for fitting in more chairs.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Kitchen inspiration photo[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/tudor-kitchen-remodel-traditional-kitchen-minneapolis-phvw-vp~325818)

Comments (29)