SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

A New (Yellow) Direction! Would love input!

2LittleFishies
12 years ago

Well, I began thinking about paints and accent colors for the kitchen, LR, DR in my 1950 Cape.

(Huge trees against house are gone now...)

When working through it I realized my cabinet ideas weren't working with what I really wanted to do. It got me thinking about what colors I want to work with. I thought my inspiration cabinets were cream but realized they were more ivory/beige. I should mention that several of YOU helped me pull all this info together!! : ) SO, I figured I'd start a new discussion since my others are now very long and have evolved...

I LOVE pale yellow and variations of it and think I want to kitchen to be brighter/lighter- a breath of fresh air!

I really love THESE:

which isn't perfect with THIS- I'm mostly referring to the light cabinet...

I still love the BELOW inspiration photo but think I want to veer away from it by either changing the lighter cabinetry to more of a real cream or very very pale yellow- which may work better with black accent cabinetry than the espresso brown above. No glaze. I would still like to do a walnut island top most likely and keep marble on the perimeter. Also, we were going to town down all of the embellishments to make it less over the top. (many expressed it doesn't go with the house, I know...)

The other obvious option is to make the cabinetry more WHITE, but since I really didn't want a white kitchen I probably won't do that.

My 2nd option, which I REALLY think I may go for is to do something more like THIS:

(quite a change, I know...) OR THIS! Which I really love! I see many yellow kitchens online but we think adding lots of white with it makes the yellow more enjoyable!

I think I would adjust the pic above by making it a bit more formal (but not too much) by still having the white arch window and pendants that are in my original inspiration pic. (Now that I bought them I hope I can make them work! I think with the walnut top island and possible some black they will be okay) I don't know about the open cabinetry but maybe some glass cabinets would work. Love the wallpaper too! The kitchen was designed by Betsy Speert- I'd love to get more views of this kitchen! (I emailed her)

Well, that's where I'm at today. Any suggestions as to whether I should just change my ivory cabinets to cream or a really pale yellow???

OR, just FLAT OUT use yellow with white- & maybe some black- like my last two photos? I planned on Imperial Danby marble which is gray and gold but wonder if I would just use gray with the yellows...

I'm gathering paint swatches and fabric samples and meet with my decorator next week. I'm very excited!

Comments (138)