SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mossy44_z7bwa

Regan's is open

mossy44_z7bwa
4 years ago

It seems to be up and running, quite a different format on the website.

Comments (67)

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    4 years ago

Thank you, Helen. Huey does fine here. Just before I clicked the order button, good sense prevailed and I didn't make the order. I still have roses that didn't get in the ground this year, and I must get those taken care of before I order more. Passing up a Delbard and a Tantau is killing me.

mossy44_z7bwa thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

Flowers you’re my hero! Good job-maybe next year I’ll be strong too!

mossy44_z7bwa thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • Related Discussions

Regans is Taking Bareroot Orders for 2010

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks terryjean! Now, another problem I am facing is I bought a Maria Stern this spring and received a nice rose, but infected with RMV! I am thinking of replacing her with Easy does it, but I'm not sure I should plant another rose there. Even if I manage to get the roots out, I can't be sure I've gotten ALL the roots. So, I am still thinking about it for now.
    ...See More

Regan is Open...

Q

Comments (3)
    Warning, Will Robinson, Warning, Warning. If I lived in CA, they'd be my one stop shopping place for all the roses that I'd want from faraway producers. But, and this is or at least was a biggie, the handling and shipping charges did all but kill my bank account one time. I ordered 'must have' roses. I sort of added the shipping costs, but they still came as a shock when the shipping and handling more than doubled the total cost of the order. If money doesn't matter, ignore this. But if you are counting money, check from the beginning what kind of shipping charges you're going to get, especially when you are on the other side of the country. (This applies to all sellers.) Of the shippers, the Postal Service doesn't charge for wherer they are delivering to, although that might have changed. UPS and FedEx charge based on how far it is from shipper to destination. And shipping charges can be shockingly high.
    ...See More

Regan's is finally open for bare root orders online!

Q

Comments (1)
    Thanks for the heads up
    ...See More

Regan online bare root ordering will end soon (Jan 31st)

Q

Comments (29)
    I got 'Cherry Frost', 'The Pilgrim' (to replace one I lost to RRD), and 'Good Day Sunshine'. Can't find GDS anywhere else (yet) - thanks for the warning to get these ordered, Bayarea_girl! I'm confident 'Cherry Frost' will show up at own-root vendors like Northland, High Country, and Roses Unlimited in the next few years, but a 2-year old bareroot is a good jumpstart for climbers. GDS is grafted - I'd prefer own-root like the other two, but I don't know if/when we'll see this one hit other vendors. May the roses you want be in stock, and good luck with your bare-roots Gardenweb!
    ...See More
    4 years ago

Oursteelers, I may have made a big mistake not grabbing that Tantau rose while I could. I did the same thing when Ludwigs briefly made some European roses available and I didn't act on it.

mossy44_z7bwa thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Flowersaremusic, life is short, if you really love some roses, go for it. There are some roses in your garden that you only like could always go to friends/family/churches/temples. If you only like the new roses and don’t have room for them, then it’s better just to skip them and wait for some roses you really love. For me, Marc Chagall is the rose in my “love” category. Helen

mossy44_z7bwa thanked bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
  • Amanda Zone10Socal
    4 years ago

oh no! I just ordered a bunch of things I shouldn’t have!

mossy44_z7bwa thanked Amanda Zone10Socal
  • BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    4 years ago

I ordered:

Julie Andrews

Queen of Elegance

Sundowner (for a friend)

California Dreamin

Green Romantica and Marc Chagall were both sold out fast! :(

mossy44_z7bwa thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    4 years ago

Ben, didn’t you have Green Romantica and Marc Chagall on your list? Helen

4 years ago

Helen,

Yes, both Green Romantica and Marc Chagall sold out before I placed my order. I didn’t realize they’d sell out as fast as Palatine. I might drive to Certified‘s offices and demand they sell me a Marc Chagall! I actually have some chance of getting that one, Certified’s roses show up in the stranges places and times around my area. I also noticed Regan only stocks like 8-16 of many varieties, so there has to more somewhere else! If you hear about a Certified Rose Truck getting hijacked, pretend you don’t know me!

Katya reported on another thread that Lavender Crush is sold out too, of course I already have 2 of those.

• Ken Wilkinson
    4 years ago

I got my order in yesterday and got what I wanted:

4 Sunstruck

1 Marc Chagall

1 Burst of Joy

mossy44_z7bwa thanked Ken Wilkinson
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    4 years ago

Ben, sorry to hear that you couldn't get Marc Chagall. Many of us in the forums have been waiting for that rose to be available to order at Regan. Have you thought about calling Certified's Roses and see if they can put one on reserve for you so you can drive there and pick it up? I don't have room for a climber but Lavender Crush is so beautiful that I think I can squeeze it in some where or I can always trim it hard and turn it into a bush instead of a climber. Where there's a will, there's a way :)

Ken, I'm glad you get Marc Chagall. I can't wait to see its blooms in my garden and others. Helen

• Oliver (SF 9A)
    4 years ago

Wow lavender crush is out of stock. And no lady in red in the catalog..,

mossy44_z7bwa thanked Oliver (SF 9A)
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    4 years ago

Besides Regan, Certified Roses also does whole sale to other nurseries. Here is the link to look for the nurseries near you carrying Certified Roses http://certifiedrose.com/where.html . You can call these nurseries and see if you can find the roses that you are looking for. Good luck. Helen

• Oliver (SF 9A)
    4 years ago

Thanks Helen. I just called and regan released extra lavender crush roses for me. A very stressful morning lol

mossy44_z7bwa thanked Oliver (SF 9A)
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    4 years ago

I really had a heck of a time also getting in my order ! But I got scentuous , Marc Chagall , Marie ( totally unnecessary impulse buy ) and state of Grace . It was hard making a small order but I’m proud of myself for going small !

mossy44_z7bwa thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • Rose Lai (9b)
    4 years ago

For those of you in the San Francisco Bay, Alden Lane Nursery in Livermore has Lavender Crush, Lady in Red and Marc Chagall among their 2020 rose list. I don't recall they ship to other states though...

See this link for their catalog: https://www.aldenlane.com/m/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/2020-alden-lane-rose-List-order-form.pdf

mossy44_z7bwa thanked Rose Lai (9b)
  • alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    4 years ago

I had problems too but called them this morning. I got 8:

Burst of Joy, Queen of Elegance, Julie Andrews, Distant Drums, Elle, Hollywood Star, Rainbow Sorbet and Singin in the Rain.

Also ordered from Northland Rosarian: Jump for Joy, Aunt Honey, Virginia Reel and Mother of Pearl. Just got 3 from Heirloom yesterday, including the long coveted Windsor Castle Wedding, Abbey de Cluny and Flamenco Rosita. Think I better quit for awhile! Tell myself - just celebrating the drought being over - Imelda gave us 6" of rain last nite!

Judith

mossy44_z7bwa thanked alameda/zone 8/East Texas
  • oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

Lilyfinch, did you see the pictures on Instagram of State of Grace? Boy was my mouth watering!!!!!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    4 years ago

Yes I did tina!!! That’s how I ended up with that! My original order had that new pink hybrid tea too and didn’t have Marie . But I fell for those pictures and now here we are ! Haha :)

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

Ugh, that’s how I got the Marie one also! I was just saying I’m gonna need another white since apparently White Licorice is gonna be yellow and there it was!

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    4 years ago

I saw that Regan has 9 Marc Chagall roses in stock right now. If you missed your chance to order it last time then you should order it now. Helen

4 years ago

Helen,

Thank you, you’re the best! I have added 2 Marc Chagall to my order. Looks like they know its in-demand, they have added 30 to their inventory.

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    4 years ago

Ben, I'm glad you finally got your Marc Chagall. On the Marc Chagall page it shows 30 but I don't think that is the correct number. If you go to the quick order page https://www.regannursery.com/Order-Bare-Root-Roses , which had 9 last night and now shows 7 because you have ordered 2. Helen

4 years ago

I nearly ordered Marc Chagall but ordered Paul Gauguin from Palatine and they looked similar except Marc is newer and a floribunda, Paul is older and a shrub. Colors look very similar - does anyone see a big difference in the two?

Judith

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    4 years ago

Judith, they have different looks, and I think Marc Chagall is a winner with better colors and more petals. I ordered both just because they are part of Delbard Painters Collection. Helen

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    4 years ago

Helen, thank you so much for posting this!!! I had mistakenly ordered a rose from Regans that had survived my winters after all so I needed to call them anyway with that change. To be able to add Marc Chagall made me very happy. The person on the phone said they ordered more of Marc in response to the demand (so keep up the demand even if it moves back out of availability).

Here's my revised order: Bathsheba, Brite Eyes, Brother Cadfael, Camille Pissarro, Chris Evert, Eyeconic Melon Lemonade, Firecracker, Judy Garland, Julie Andrews, Marc Chagall (!), Novelty, Octoberfest, Polynesian Punch, Pretty in Pink Eden, Queen of Elegance, Roald Dahl, and Sophy's Rose.

Just a few...

Cynthia

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    4 years ago

Cynthia, those are very nice roses. I'm glad you will have Marc Chagall. I have 170+ roses in my garden now, and my garden is small so I'm happy with that amount.

How many roses do you have in your garden? 3000+? I'm very impressed with your ability to take care of many roses in your zone 5. On average, how many roses do you expect not to come back after every winter? Helen

4 years ago

Cynthia and Helen, how does Edgar Degas stack up against Marc Chagall and Paul Gauguin? Cynthia, I remember you saying Edgar D survives your winters pretty well. That stuck with me.

Also, do either of you have Claude Monet? I'm especially drawn to him. I've not been bitten by the stripy bug, but I'm gaining interest. My only one is Raspberry Cream Twirl, so far.

• katyajini
    4 years ago

Is it possible to get regan to add lavender crush?

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    4 years ago

katyaini, you can call them in their business hours and check if they have any Lavender Crush in stock. If they do, I’m sure they will add it for you. They always adjust orders for customers. Helen

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    4 years ago

Flowersaremusic, I don’t have Edgar Degas yet. So, I have to wait for it to be delivered. Claude Monet is a very hard to find rose for US gardeners, so I haven’t found any nursery that sells it.

I wonder if the San Jose rose garden has it. This reminds me there was a time when I was looking for Osiria rose and no nursery carried it. When I saw Osiria at the San Jose rose garden, I was tempted to become a rose rustler, LOL. I didn’t do it because I didn’t want to get into trouble, and the plant looked so pitiful with 2 tiny sticks. When a nursery finally offered it, I ordered 2 because I needed one back up in case one died. I still have 2 in my garden with below average health, but I’m glad to have 2 in my garden because when you see their blooms, it is all worth it. Helen

4 years ago

Oh, I just knew if anyone had Claude Monet, it would be you. Maybe someday it will be easier to find. I'll be waiting to see photos of your Edgar Degas and hear your thoughts. I have heard of Osiria, but couldn't remember what it looks like and had to look it up. Oh, my goodness! Now, that is a regal red rose with personality. Good idea to get a back up since it may never be available again.

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    4 years ago

Flowersaremusic, I love to collect beautiful unique roses. However, I’m considered as a newbie compared to Beth, Cynthia, and others. I’m at a phase where I’m content with what I have and learned to be patient waiting for a rare rose to be available. Marc Chagall is a rose that made me check Regan’s website every day in September because I didn’t want to miss my chance ordering it. I ordered 2 to use one as a backup. Helen

• hugogurll
    4 years ago

Yoohoo! They have Della Reese...big ol' purply pink with fantastic fragrance.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

I always forget about that one!!!

4 years ago

Oh, my word! I'd never heard of the Della Reese rose. Wow, why isn't that one in everybody's garden! Looks like it may be a little too tender for here, but what a beautiful thing. Kristine, are you reading this? This rose is made for you.

4 years ago

Good find on Della Reese, always been on my radar, as the parent of Neil Diamond. Would love to hear others’ experience with her.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 years ago

I just went and checked out the Della Reese rose and you're right it is my kind of rose however I've just ordered and planted buxom beauty and chartreuse de Parme.

Thanks for the heads up

4 years ago

This pretty rose has been around for awhile but I have never seen it offered for sale but always wanted it. Got it coming in the spring - really excited to see if its as pretty as its picture.

Judith

4 years ago

Kristine, those three are very similar. There's also Stephen's Big Purple. Chartreuse de Parme is one I'd like to grow.

4 years ago

I got buxom beauty planted the other night and chartreuse de Parme will be arriving in the Spring I also have the pretty lady rose

I love those pinky purply big bloomed roses

But I am also loving the colors of Easter basket and Qween nefertiti . this never ends does it lol

4 years ago

I’ve also thought about choosing between these 4 big deep purplish pinks. There’s also Miss AAB and Pink Peace.

I’ve not tried Pink Peace or Della Reese.

Miss AAB I think is the standard bearer of this group. Very generous flowering, consistent quality bloom, nice clear true color. I only found it moderately scented and rather short stemmed, but otherwise excellent.

Stephen’s Big Purple: I grew this many years ago, it was a rather coarse plant, I didn’t care for the particular shade of magenta , and fragrance was only medium, I called it Stephens Moderate Magenta. I chalked some of it up to beginner’s inexperience, but my friend grows it currently and has the same complaints.

Chartreuse de Parme: Only had this one a year, so need more time to judge. Color and form are quite unique. Fragrance only slight. Growth lanky, and not especially free blooming. Hopefully it improves next year.

Buxom Beauty: This was everything I wanted , huge deep pink, very fragrant, gorgeous form, healthy plant. I liked it so much I tried tried to move it to a better spot and killed it in the process :(. Started with a new plant this spring, really like this one.

Buxom Beauty:

4 years ago

Seeing your picture of Buxom beauty confirms that my choice was a good one

I would still like All American Beauty

4 years ago

Kristine,

I’d love to grow MissAAB again, and Pink Peace too. K&M has them both on Fortuniana this fall, and I know they’d both look spectacular in my yard.

But this fall I’ve been ordering with abandon, without any regard to where these plants will go once they get big. I just figure I’ll find some place for everyone, even though I’ve got 3-4 roses planned for every available spot. There will be a day of reckoning coming soon, where my lot is just engulfed with roses, no more room for humans or cars or anything else that a house normally shelters.

4 years ago

Ben, I have done the same thing. And now looking at Hortico, their website is open........going to have to enlarge my pot ghetto! Too many pretty ones being offered! Your yard is gorgeous, really enjoy seeing photos - hope you post some of your fall blooms.

Judith

4 years ago

Helen, no use trying to convince us you're a rose newbie - with those exquisite photos and lovely range of roses you're prize winning in our world. As for how many roses I grow, I "only" have 1000, give or take a few each year. I plant about 300 roses each year and stay around 1000, so that equates to anywhere from 25-30% rose loss each year. It sounds like I'm really stupid (though that's arguably true with that many roses) and planting things that I know won't survive, but each year as many as half of the losses are roses that have done fine for years and just didn't come back, or have otherwise failed. This past winter for instance I had at least 40 or so mature grafted roses that seem like the graft just failed- in cold zones as I understand it some roses start losing new places to put out canes every spring if they die to the ground every spring like most HTs do around here. This means that as many as half of the 300 new roses that aren't "supposed" to grow in my zone can do fine, and some take two or three tries to find a place where they settle in happily. I do have some common sense even where roses are concerned, and plant plenty of shrubs and once-bloomers that actually like my zone.

Flowers, I haven't grown either Marc Chagall or Paul
    Cezanne, so I can't compare them to Edgar Degas. In my book, they would
    have to be truly extraordinary roses to even come close to Edgar Degas.
    He's absolutely in the top 10 out of my 1000 roses, and he is a hot
    contender for #1. He blooms all summer, is totally cane hardy, bushes
    out tremendously well, has intriguing variability in his blooms, is
    totally clean and keeps his foliage, and is basically trouble free. In
    contrast among the other painters, Alfred Sisely is definitely in the
    top 10% for me but not as hardy or bushy, and he rests a bit between
    bloom cycles. Henri Matisse doesn't even make the top 50% and he's
    mostly a one-cane wonder with surprisingly little color variation on his
    blooms. In fact I don't think I've seen a bloom from him all season. No
    telling how MC and PC will do but I can't wait to try.

Pictures you say? You only have to ask. Here's Edgar loving to show off

Yes, the above shot is all Edgar. He's at least 6' wide at this point, and maybe 4' tall. Cold zoners in particular really need this rose IMHO.

Cynthia

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    4 years ago

Cynthia, your garden must be like heaven with 1000 roses. Please share as many pics as you can. I have learned that for zone 6 or lower, many rose gardeners often have to treat roses as annual. However, just to maintain them and be able to keep them come back for the next season is a great accomplishment. I tip my hat to you. I'm guessing you have someone help you with planting and taking care of the roses?

When you mentioned Paul Cezanne, I think you meant Paul Gauguin from Palatine Roses :) Your Edgar pic is one of the reasons I want to have him in my garden. Helen

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

Do you need to irrigate Cynthia? Having rain to do all that watering would be lovely.

4 years ago

Cynthia, I appreciate your thoughts and your photos. Love both those shots. Edgar Degas sounds like a rose that likes a cold winter, or at least, tolerates it well. I think he's one of the most beautiful of the roses in that category.

Every time I think of pruning 1000 roses, I admire you even more. You must have a method or system to get it done quickly. It would take me from May to October to prune that many.

4 years ago

Lol, Well I caved and ordered mark Chigall

When I called Reagan's. she laughed and said everybody wants that rose and it is beautiful

4 years ago

Thanks for the comments folks, and Kristine good job getting your order for MC in at Regans before they run out again! It is beautiful and we are really looking forward to it. Thanks for bringing us back to the topic of ordering at Regans for the intent of Mossy's thread.

Helen, the only help I have in pruning and taking care of the roses is when the voles "help" by pruning off some of the branches over the winter. Otherwise it's all me. Rose gardening is fun and it wouldn't be as fun to try to get someone else to understand or do what I want. You'd think with all those roses that it would be rose heaven, but frankly the roses in the garden are pretty unexciting most of the year. The weather is cooling off but at most I have a bloom or two here and there on some of the bushes, with mostly green leaves in between. You're envisioning 1000 roses of California size and splendor, instead of the knee-high wonders that HTs and floris are here. They're not necessarily annuals here, but they're a fraction of what they could be elsewhere.

Ironic that you ask about irrigation at the moment, Sheila. I'm watching torrential rains outside with massive puddles and rivers everywhere and the gutters gurgling frantically to keep up with things. Usually Nebraska is pretty dry and I had to water a fair bit of late August and early September. I only use the lawn sprinklers though, so I have control of things, and it's frankly lazy gardening. Once a week sprinkler coverage if it's dry and otherwise the roses have to put their roots deep and fend for themselves.

Flowers, it's easy to prune most of the roses since it's a matter of "off with their heads" for 90% of their top growth for most roses most years. The truly hardy ones like Darlow's Enigma don't need any pruning, and the HTs and floris take one or two cuts each, so it's pretty fast. I can get everything but the climbers pruned in about 3 long weekends, with the climbers taking at least a day by themselves since they're among the hardy ones that still lose some canes.

To return to the original point of the thread, let's buy Regans out of the rest of their Painters' series so they keep offering more of them!

Cynthia