SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_334016793

Not sure what kind of range hood to get

Michelle
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

My entire kitchen is 18'10"x10'x10" for over 200 ft^2, but the L-shaped area where the cabinets and appliances are is only 10x10'5" or so, or just over 100 ft^2. I don't have a ceiling fan but I have a vent on the ceiling between the hallway and the kitchen, plus there are French doors to the yard right next to the refrigerator and near the stove. I have a 30" gas stove/convection oven, a Samsung model NX58H5600SS. Just bought it at Lowe's and haven't even gotten it delivered yet. Whatever range hood I get doesn't need to use LED lights but I'd prefer it since the rest of my home will be all LED.

My local Lowe's has a few different types of range hoods and they have different CFM ratings. I'm confused because the display ranks them as "standard", "advanced", and I think "professional", which I obviously don't need. I'd like one in stainless steel to match my new stove, but I'm confused by the different CFM ratings. Most in the store have a CFM of 250 yet vary a lot in price. The display shows the "advanced" ranking as 300-600 CFM and recommends such for "typical gas & electric ranges, cooktops, higher heat, more steam/aroma", whereas the "standard", or under 250 CFM, is for "electric ranges & cooktops, less steam/aroma, light cooking". I'll be the sole inhabitant of the house and I'm no chef, but I do love to cook, especially spicy food.

Btw, there's no range hood being replaced because I need to basically build my kitchen from scratch, as it had no appliances, cabinets, or even flooring when I bought the house, but at least there is wiring in the wall where the range hood will be so I can hardwire it. I'm not sure if the presence of these wires indicates anything to do with a duct, but I suppose I'd be fine either with ducted or ductless. I have a contractor who can install it if it's too difficult for me to do. It's a little hard to see but in the photo below from before I bought my house, the wires are circled. On the other side of that wall is the outdoors, and directly above the kitchen is the attic, although there is so much insulation up there that it is difficult to go through the attic to where the kitchen would be.

Comment