SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cadant

Help me minimize my family room barn effect

Catherine
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

My house is a traditional colonial with a weird family room/kitchen addition at the back, which is not in keeping with the rest of the house. I love symmetry, balance, and appropriate scale/proportions. Unfortunately our family room is anything but that. It was very dingy and dark. We already replaced the old sliding glass door with higher French doors, painted everything a bright white, and are in process of installing wood floors to match the flooring in the rest of the house. I will be painting the bricks this week-end. It already looks much better but I have now reached a stumping block with our fireplace brick wall. I want to install bookshelves on both sides of the fireplace but I am not sure how to design them. I want them be scale-appropriate, and I want to minimize the "barn" ceiling. The blue tape shows what I am thinking, but I am not sure. Do I take the bookcases all the way to the ceiling with the slant, or do I stop before the ceiling slants. Also, do join both sets of built-ins over the fireplace, or do I leave the center wall empty (I have seen a very pretty long and narrow antique gold leaf mirror that I think may look good there) I have been looking at this for months and my husband is losing his patience. Please help.

Comments (7)