SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patricia_ubaldo

gap between range and counter help!!!!

Patricia Elbo
4 years ago

The range in the picture is the standard size 30” w but the space is for a commercial range 36”... why?!!!! We cant afford a commercial range! The countertops and backsplash were just updated.. i think they kept the 50s original cabinets and didnt care to fix the huge space.. how can i make this look decent? Help!! Were getting a new range but which one? Cant find a non commercial 36”

Comments (28)

• kudzu9
    4 years ago

I'm afraid, short of replacing the countertops and adding a filler, there's nothing you can do that won't stick out like a sore thumb. I'm not an expert on 36" ranges, but I know there are some made that aren't commercial, so not as expensive. How hard have you Googled this?

• Related Discussions

solution for gap between range and counter

Q

Comments (1)
    I love this idea! I have been needing to do something with my new counter and stove. Thanks for posting this!
    ...See More

Help! Gap between countertop and wall

Q

Comments (8)
    Well, the caulking was forgotten at the front. it's missing. To me it does not look like he cut into the wall. otherwise the caulk would look different. If you do not like the caulk like, try installing tile on that side and remove the backsplash and install the same tile there as well so as to not look choppy. use the below pictures for tile installation ideas, not color or style.
    ...See More

Wide Gap Between Countertops and Range

Q

Comments (16)
    I know that some amount of gap is normal. But usually it is much narrower. And even with a narrow gap, I hate how dirt gets trapped in it. I usually find some heat-resistant caulk and seal it. It's not the manufacturer-recommended procedure, but it has been working fine for me for years. Every couple of years, when the caulk looks grimy, I replace it. With these huge gaps, there is no way caulk can seal things. So, yes, I'd insist on them fixing things. And I'd also insist on them making everything plumb and straight.
    ...See More

Caulk or trim on range gap between counter

Q

Comments (6)
    GreenDesigns - the OP may be replacing a range in an older kitchen, in which the cabinetry has been hung for some time. Let's come up with a solution to help her instead of leaping with eagerness to criticize. To the OP - if that Wolf side trim kit works to solve your problem right away, I would go with that. The alternative is to have a stainless steel piece made to fit, so you could explore that. In the meanwhile, how many thousands did you spend for the Wolf range?? And how much is the ready-to-go trim kit? Oh, $160.
    ...See More
  • Suzanne
    4 years ago

Summit & Premier make inexpensive 36” ranges, check out AJ Madison. Where is s your hood?

• megs1030
    4 years ago

I'm so confused by what's going on here. Tile looks new, I'll agree with you there. But cabinets look original to the house and the lowers look very shallow. You could add a filler on either side of the range, but you'd have to replace the countertops. There are 36" ranges out there that are on the less expensive side, try searching for the Cosmo, ZLine. Not sure what they're like, but it's worth a look. I'd also visit a local appliance store.

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

There were a lot more options before the new counter tops & splash were installed. Pretty much screwed & have to use a 36" range now.

The best that I can suggest is to keep an eye out on Craigslist/ Facebook Mkt Place for a used one...36" will probably be difficult to find, &/or look for a scratch & dent. Also, keep an eye out for one that has been used as a display model...places like kitchen design showrooms, floor displays from Lowes, HomeDepot, Menard's, etc.

On the up side, if you cook much at all, you will appreciate having more cooker top space w/ a 36" model.

One other thought. While you're looking for a replacement range, might want to keep an eye out for some used base cabinets to replace those so you can have standard counter depth. Appears that the old owners painted? the cabinets so you should be able to match the paint color if you find some used cabinets.

If you do that, remove those cabinets carefully (look like they are built in place) and use them somewhere else...basement, garage, pantry, utility room...

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

One other idea....if you can find a 36" base cabinet, you could install a cooktop rather than a range and pick up a used wall oven (those are easy to find) IF you have space to locate it somewhere else in the kitchen. (Counter top ovens work great & will serve fine until you find an oven.)

• Kaylie
    4 years ago

I have an old 36'' range listed on Facebook Marketplace right now for $50. Check there and on Craigslist to see if you can find one to hold you over until you can figure out a longer term option.

• rnonwheels
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Maybe move the range to the right against the standard depth counter, then make a wooden filler out of butcherblock, cut out openings in the top and use it for knife storage. The lower half portion just make a filler panel or leave open for cutting board storage. For cleaning I think I would prefer it be a closed filler, with cuttting boards leaning on your counter's backsplash.

• PRO
    Spirit Classic Homes And Renovations
    4 years ago

This is a 36" range we put in a home. it is made by Verona. It was substantially less than the "commercial" range options.

• apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

Some options here: https://www.ajmadison.com/b.php/36+Inch%3BGas%3BRanges/Ns~price_with_promos02_%7C0%3BN~25+4294965554+4294964456

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

IMO this is not the spot for a range at all since the counters are so shallow on the one side this is truly a weird situation. Did you just move in? You will also need to have venting installed so It hink I would wait to see how the space functions for you before doing anything.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Home Depot has some gas ranges for $1600 range. What is your budget?

Like others have said, I would keep an eye out on Craigslist and FB Marketplace.

• suedonim75
    4 years ago

Make sure you install an outlet behind the stove so you don't have to look at the cord.

• suedonim75
    4 years ago

You will also need to have venting installed

If you look at the picture, there is a vent on the ceiling.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Really and you think that is adequate not in a million yrs

• suedonim75
    4 years ago

Never said it was, just said a vent was already there.

• M
    4 years ago

Just to make this clear. This space is definitely not intended for a commercial range.

A commercial range is significantly deeper than a residential range. This particular space already doesn't fit the depth of a residential range, it will look even more wrong with a commercial range.

Commercial ranges don't have the same amount of insulation that residential ranges do. You cannot place them directly next to wooden cabinets.

Commercial ranges also require a much more elaborate venting system with integrated fire suppression. None of that is in place.

In other words, this space was never intended for a commercial range. It might have been intended for a residential 36" range. But even that's a little odd, as the lower cabinets are the wrong depth. Maybe it was intended for a residential refrigerator and somebody later changed the design and haphazardly installed a range instead?

• zellenpat
    4 years ago

There are more problems than a 6" gap. Those base cabinets are not standard. They look like 18"? wall cabinets, no drawers, some unkind person used as lowers because they are cheaper. And the outlet you have the stove plugged into for it's accessories is not right. It should be behind the stove not next to it. And it is a good idea to have it a dedicated gfi circuit. And you need some sort of hood. Self circulating if you must. Maybe a microwave fan unit. Put an open "bookcase" over it to blend with the cabinets. And those will need a dedicated circuit. Then the space. You could get 3" angled boxed fillers to make the stove look a bit less odd. Tile the tops with a tile like in the back splash. Or make and stain 2, 3" open boxes for cookie sheets. But correct the real problems first. Don't spend alot of time or money on that 6" space because nN a few years you will want to rip those "base" cabinets out and do it correctly. Somebody took you for a ride with this kitchen.

• Shannon_WI
    4 years ago

OP a fly-by.

• PRO
    Creative Design Cabinetry
    4 years ago

I wouldn't spend any money on new appliances other than some cheap used 36" range to get you by. It looks like the whole kitchen is in need of a major overhaul which appears to be your next step.

• Patricia Elbo
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Thanks everyone for all your input. Everything is noted. Yes this kitchen needs to be fixed or ripped out altogether.
  • PRO
    4 years ago

M you are not up to date with commercial ranges I have one it is counter depthdoesn not require special spacing from cabinets and for sure does not require fire suppression but there are many 36” ranges that are not commercial that will work bit the big issue is there is no room for any tupe of range in that space . That si what I say just live with it the way itis until a time comes when you can change this whole layout.

• M
    4 years ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting, interesting. That's very different from the commercial ranges that I have seen in restaurants. Mind telling us which model this is, or maybe even linking to the description. That would be useful to know the next time this question comes up.

• Keith S
    4 years ago

You need standard depth cabinets and countertops. Period. Only Fisher Price makes could make a range that short.....

• PRO
    4 years ago

I have a Bertazzoni it is counter depth and mine is considered a commercial range since it has high BTUs and no self cleaning oven You can getit in different burner layouts mine has a wok burner and a simmer burner. along with the 4 others, IMO though I would just use the one you have save the money from buying a stove to fit the space and unless you actually need 6 burners on a daily basis stay with a 30” but in a good kitchen layout. Really just wait.

• M
    4 years ago

You're mixing different terms, and that's causing confusion. A Bertazzoni is very much a consumer range and most definitely not a commercial range. You would never see it in a restaurant kitchen. The dimensions just wouldn't fit. And it probably also wouldn't stand up to the daily abuse. Also, most professional chefs would be put off by the small amounts of BTU. Professional cooking is all about speed. Most ranges start at about 30kBTU for all of the burners.

What you have is a residential range that has been styled to look more like a commercial range and that has some of the features that would be useful to both a professional and a home chef. But it still has all the safety features and the dimensions of a residential range. That's why you can install it next to kitchen cabinets and why you can get away without a fire suppression system.

And yes, there are plenty of those brands. People frequently refer to them as prosumer, as they want to establish a clear distinction from lower-powered conventional consumer models. But calling them commercial is highly misleading, as that expression is already in use for something very different.

• PRO
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I am a chef I run a catering biz with my Bert and have never had an issue with BTUs I think you have an idea that commercial ranges have more power and are larger the wave of the future in commercial kitchens is less range and more induction .

• M
    4 years ago

Of course, you can use any tool for a business. And your Bertazzoni might even be the right choice, if you are catering rather than running a short order restaurant. But none of that changes how people use these words. When they call something a "commercial appliance" they have a specific idea of how it works and what specs it follows.

This is true for stoves, dishwashers, fridge/freezer, hoods, laundry, ... and all the other appliances that are made both in residential and commercial versions.

Just because your kid's preschool uses a $500 GE gas range doesn't mean this is what people mean by a commercial range. And just because some enterprising Houzz'er uses a True refrigerator doesn't mean all their models are now residential appliances. Please use words the way that people expect them.

In the vast majority of cases, commercial appliances sound attractive, but for one reason or another are altogether unsuitable for home use. A lot of grief will result if you mislead homeowners into buying the wrong product without understanding the implications.