SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdtsu04

Help! Gap between countertop and wall

Michael T
6 years ago

I recently had a handyman re-install a vanity/countertop combo in my small bathroom. There used to be a rather large gap between the countertop and the wall. The gap is much smaller now. The handyman cut into the wall, I believe. But there's still a gap that's filled with caulk.

The pictures below show the situation. There definitely needs more caulk because it's messy. But I'm wondering what I could do to improve the appearance? I have been unable to find any side splashes the size of my vanity, which is a Style Selections out-of-the-box thing from Lowe's. Do you think the appearance could be improved with just better caulking or maybe some drywall mud?

As you can see, he made the countertop flush on the left side to fit it as close to the wall. On the right side, there's a piece of wood painted the wall color that was installed years ago. The handyman kept that in. Should I paint it the cabinet color or keep it the wall color?

Unfortunately, I don't know the exact wall issue or how much he cut it. I think it was minimal. I am also wondering if'd be better off having a pedestal sink to avoid this issue.

Comments (8)