SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladybug9a

Need suggestions for compact evergreen to replace gardenia

ladybug A 9a Houston area
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I had posted this on the fragrant flowers and texas gardening forumn and although I got some suggestions to try and revive my gardenias, I am still struggling to find suitable plants for this area.This is a slightly raised bed, and the plantings are additionally raised. My gardenia (radicans, dwarf trailing type) were planted late last fall, they did great until two weeks ago and suddenly started declining. We had a lot of rain, no additional water, but the bed is moist. My camellias in the same bed are doing fine, one succumbed to whiteflies earlier this year, rest do good with hundreds of flowers. I am looking for small, naturally rounded or so evergreen shrubs with fragrant flowers with the longest bloom time I can get away with. While the area drains ok, we do get copious amounts of rainfall and they need to be able to shrug that off...I believe my gardenias are not able to handle this. Area remains bright all day with a few hours of direct sun and is protected on two sides by the house. I would love some alternatives to my beloved soon to be late gardenias...Added complication is that I have/had three in a curve, the middle one is definitely dead, the one to the left imo will die soon but the one to the right looks great, as of now. I know that means nothing and it may decide to kill itself anytime, but if it does live, is there anything that would have a similar look? Very much appreciate any suggestions ..

Comments (4)