SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
overhear

Any recs for triple-track storm windows for historic house?

overhear
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We restored the original wood windows on our 1880's house a few years ago and would now like to replace some of the old exterior triple-track storm windows. I've done a bunch of reading on what to look for when buying a “less ugly” triple-track, but I'm finding it hard to get any sense of what the units actually look like from the manufacturer websites. Would anyone be able to provide good sources, or a method of locating one?

Ideally I'd like the windows to match our beige window frames.

Comments (38)

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

Larsen and Pro-Via have triple tracks. The Pro-Via has the traditional true triple track with 1/2 screen on the inward track. Larsen is more like a traditional 2-track with a full screen only that is imobile and mounted on the outside of the frame. Pro-Via may have this option, I’d have to check. The Pro-Via is better built IMO since this option is only available in Larsen’s lower series. This is a pic of the Larsen.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

I know they call it there Best series but the Premium is better than the best.

• Related Discussions

Need help figuring out how to clean my triple track windows

Q

Comments (8)
    So just to follow up, (so many posters never post the final answer) I figured out how to get the windows out! And now I feel like an idiot... Turns out that all you need to do is push all three panels up to the top. At that point, the bottom half of the track comes right out. A good scrubbing with Bar Keeper's Friend took off most of the oxidation on the frame and the hard water scale on the window panes. Tonight I'm going to rub the whole thing down with Mother's mag polish and add a few drops of penetrating oil to the tracks to allow for a smoother slide. I figure if I can knock out 1 or more window a night for the grand price of free, that'll keep my busy for the next week or so.
    ...See More

1910 neoColonial single-pane 6x9 with ugly triple-track storms

Q

Comments (2)
    Thank you for these ideas. I wonder whether there is a high=quality, attractive low-E/high-R exterior fixed storm window, ideally wooden but clad for low maintenance, that has a removable panel to switch in a screen panel in summer? That would have the advantage of protecting the (restored) old wooden 6x9 sash, and on lower floors would enhance security -- it might be possible to specify whether an upper or lower panel is removable in the fixed storm, for security reasons, too. Then downstairs windows could be opened from the top for better ventilation of hotter air.
    ...See More

Storm Windows and Repair vs Replacing Old Wood Windows

Q

Comments (18)
    The provia storms are very good. Price is fine, maybe a hair high if it does not include wrapping, but its a great price if it does. I agree overall with the advice provided so far on replacements vs storms, it really depends on the individual circumstances. It can be hard to justify spending that much without getting he other added benefits of replacements ( ease of cleaning, lower maintenance , potentially enhanced property value, better energy efficiency, etc), however if your existing windows can be reconditioned to the point of operating smoothly and looking good, adding the storm to that can definitely get you pretty close in those areas but with cost savings and maintaining the original integrity of the home. As wow alluded to, you could certainly take those dollars that you save and put them to air sealing , insulation , etc in other areas of he home and increase your energy savings exponentially.
    ...See More

Vinyl windows on a historic home? Opinions please!

Q

Comments (51)
    I would look into thermally-broken aluminum windows. They are more expensive than vinyl but less expensive than wood or wood-aluminum windows, around 5-10% (depending on the brand). Aluminum is far more durable than vinyl, plus more energy-efficient (depending on the brand). They are powder-coated so they are more resistant to fading, chipping, and scratching as well. Generally, you can also get dual-color options with one exterior color and one interior color (this is something we offer with no upcharge but not sure regarding other brands). Here's a historic-retro fit we did with wood-aluminum windows (full gallery here), to provide you with more examples while you deliberate on which route to take. Hope this helps!
    ...See More
  • PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

Larsen’s Best series is now called Performance series BTW.

• overhear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the information, @toddinmn! I spent some time chatting with a rep from Larson this morning and learned a great deal. They are going to send me a sample of the premium color in almond so that I can see if it's close to our beige window paint color. Now I'll check with Pro Via. Thanks so much again.

• overhear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I just spoke to the Provia rep. They offer double-hung models in both 2- and 3-track, and in 2 different styles -- all at the same price. They also offer 17 colors and custom colors as an add-on. The brochure here is helpful for getting a sense of how the styles vary.

According to the rep, the differences between all their models are cosmetic and don't really impact performance. (The Provia Town & Country has mitered frame corners, whereas their Concord has butt corners.)

I'd love input on which would look better on a restored 1880's brick house.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

I think butted corners look better.

I prefer flush mount storms in the historics but Larsen only has them in their premium 2 tracks and Pro-Via doesn’t offfer one.

• overhear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@toddinmn - Does flush mount mean that the storm window glass is flush with the exterior window frame, rather than recessed into the frame? I'm still trying to get up-to-speed on this.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

The storm window frame is flush with the exterior trim.

overhear thanked toddinmn
  • overhear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

" I prefer flush mount storms in the historics but Larsen only has them in their premium 2 tracks and Pro-Via doesn’t offer one. "

Interesting. Larson's rep indicated that their 2 models look similar with respect to how deeply they're recessed. (See chat transcript, below.) That's one reason it's so hard to assess these things without seeing them yourself.

CHAT TRANSCRIPT

Me: I see. So that difference is in color and insulation. Do the performance and premium models look identical, apart from color?

Rep: For the most part, yes. The joints on the unit are different. The premium has a butt joint where the performance has a mitered joint

Me: For both models, can you tell me how much they protrude or are recessed from the window frame when installed?

Rep: It is generally about 1" that the frame sticks out

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

The flush mount has a flat frame profile that would come flush with you’re existing casing. The others are contoured and do not. This a Larson L203 Flush mount.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

• overhear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow. That looks great!

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

• overhear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks @toddinmn. Very helpful!

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

I think the top picture makes them look bulkier than they are but they they definitely have a wider frame than the other Larsen and the Pro-Via. I think they are better built than both, operate easier and seal tighter . Are you installing these yourself?

• siemar
    4 years ago

Have you considered replacing the old aluminum storms with wooden storm windows? They are considerably more attractive and period-appropriate, can be painted any colour you want, and if maintained, will outlast anything new in vinyl. Many traditional companies have switched to using accoya wood, which undergoes a process to make it rot-resistant and structurally stable. They don't need to be removed the way old wooden storms did - they are usually hinged and can be opened and closed from inside. Our house is early 1880s and has arched windows, which most vinyl window manufacturers won't even attempt, and if they do, the cost is prohibitive. We took off the ugly rectangular aluminum storms and the wood that filled in the arch, and a local window manufacturing company has just finished making storm windows that match the arches and align perfectly with the rails on the sashes. We're just waiting for our carpenter to fit them so that they can be painted and glazed, and then I can share pictures.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

Storms of that type are nice but tend to be quite pricey and manufacturers are few. What does a typical double hung ( I’d say a around 90 united inches) cost ? The ones around here seemto run in the $500 plus range.

Who made. Or what is the brand you used?

The ones around here are not made with acoyya And are built around a 2 track aluminum insert.

(SP windows if you want to know, not an endorsement).

• overhear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@siemar They sound beautiful! Who is the manufacturer? I'd appreciate info on any sources you found.

If it's not too much trouble, I'd also be very interested in more info (or an image) on how they are hinged.

• siemar
    4 years ago

@toddinmn I have no idea what a typical wooden storm would cost - I don't think there is such a thing anymore - these are all custom made. I have 7 arched windows that are 72" by 28" (approx.) including the arch; 4 rectangular windows that are slightly narrower (in a bay); and 2 transoms that I'm having winter storms and summer screens made for on the outside. They all have weatherstripping fitted into grooves in the sides, glazing is included, and I opted for wooden stops instead of putty, which increased the price slightly. Before taxes, they come to $3870; painting is an additional $720 including priming and 3 spray coats; they are matching my exterior window jamb colour. It works out to less than $400 per window. In comparison, I had a vinyl double hung window installed in our newly renovated bathroom, again, custom made to fit our old house; no arch because it was covered with siding when a kitchen addition was put on 50 years ago. That window was $900 before tax! My original fixed sash wavy glass windows are in excellent condition (probably thanks to the ugly aluminum storms!) so the wooden storms seemed the best route to protect them and restore the appearance of the house.

• siemar
    4 years ago

@overhear I'm in southern Ontario, so you'd probably need to find local craftspeople, but I'm sure they are out there! My windows are being made by Webwood Windows & Doors, RR#1 Newton Ont. Because they are a Mennonite company, they don't have a website, but this link showcases some of their work:Regency Rebuild

Another southern Ontario that makes wooden windows is Hoffmeyer's Mill in Sebringville. They still use the original historic equipment and methods. Check out their website: Hoffmeyers Mill

They ship all over Canada and the United States.

As for hanging our storms, that has been a bit of an adventure! Normally storm windows are hung on hooks - the hardware is readily available, especially in the US ( SRS Hardware for example). The arches on ours made this impractical, so between the manufacturer, my carpenter and myself, we decided on using 3 removable pin hinges per window and having them open like a casement window; 12" gate hooks will secure them when they are open, and casement window latches will secure them from the inside. The transoms will be held in place with turn buttons.

Following are photos with the old storms and after they were removed. Once the wooden ones are installed, I will post "after" pictures :)

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

I would call a typical storm a double-hung unit at about 90 United inches , I have done many and most are in this range.

Do you have a brand name of the Windows you used? Are the stormsnfornthe double hungs selfnstiring combination units orbdo you need separate glass and screen units?

• siemar
    4 years ago

@toddinmn There is no brand name - it's a local Mennonite woodworking company that does custom work. They make them "from scratch," lol! No, there is no self-storing screen - definitely not historic (although I did get storm doors with self-storing screens for my two front doors! but they aren't wood). The glass storm windows will swing open like a casement or shutter, and we put removable screens or window fans in/under the lower sash. The storms are removable for cleaning/maintenance purposes only. Historically our house probably didn't have either storm windows or shutters - they just opened the sash and used lace curtains to keep the bugs out :) These are as close as we can get to staying historically appropriate while keeping out the drafts.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

Ok, that makes sense on pricing. Most houses originally had those type of storms and started replacing them with steel and Aluminium storms. Growing up I always dreaded changing out the storms for the screens. I made some repairs on old original wood storms and screens jus today!

• overhear
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@siemar Thanks so much for supplying info on how you went about getting these made. I'm looking forward to seeing the "after" pictures! If you have any pictures of how they open on the interior side, that would be helpful. I think I understand from your description, but I'm curious to see how it all actually fits together.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Do yourself a favor and join the American Bungalow forum on Facebook and the Old House Journal forum too and ask there.

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    4 years ago

The top-end wood storm with interchangeable screen inserts for mild weather. https://adamsarch.com/wood-storm-windows/combination-plus-stormscreen/

• overhear
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm just circling back to this project after being stymied by indecision last year.

@siemar, do you happen to have any pictures of how your new storms operate? I'm also curious about how you situated your window fans. Did you end up just placing the fans inside your screens?

• siemar
    3 years ago

From the inside - secured closed with a casement latch. The hook lies flat between the storm and sash. We tried traditional casement hardware but it wouldn't fit.

• siemar
    3 years ago

The outer window secured in place with the hook. The way the windows open is optimized to catch the prevailing breeze and circulate air throughout the house.

• siemar
    3 years ago

A box window fan or adjustable screen is held in place with the sash. The screens work great, and they're available in several different sizes. I only have a few because when it gets too hot, we run an air conditioner. If your windows are rectangular, you can use more traditional storm window hardware, which will simplify installation. I'm very happy with my windows, and they improve the appearance of the house immensely. I'm slowly working away at re-puttying the sashes, and replacing broken panes with old wavy glass I managed to find. It's an ongoing project!

• overhear
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

WOW-- Thanks for posting the pictures, @siemar. They're gorgeous!

Even though it's hot here (in the NYC suburbs) in the summer, we're big on fresh air and rely a lot on window fans to keep the house cool. I think that's why we're so hesitant to ditch the triple-tracks even though they look awful. Do you feel that you get as much air circulation when your storms are open as you would by opening the bottom sash with a conventional storm-screen combination?

I'm also wondering ... Are you concerned that the storm windows will need a lot of maintenance because of exposure to the elements? I love that they can stay on all year round because we close ours occasionally in the summer if a big storm comes in.

Thanks again for the great pics and ideas!

• siemar
    3 years ago

@overhear Before the last two summers' restoration work, many of the sashes were painted shut, and a lot of the aluminum storms didn't open more than 20 cm (8"), so we have a lot more air movement in the house now. Most of the summer, we're able to keep the house cool by closing everything up during the day, and then opening windows and putting window fans in the bedrooms at night. Considering that the house has no insulation in the walls, this is no small feat! I was initially concerned about whether enough breeze would get in because of the way the casements open, but it wasn't an issue last summer.

As for maintenance - the house is covered in original, 140-year-old wood trim, including a lot of "gingerbread" that I've been stripping and restoring over the last two years. The old growth wood is in amazing condition, (other than a few areas with rot that I repaired with Rhino wood repair - an amazing product!) In general, new growth wood doesn't last nearly as long, but when primed and painted, new wood windows will last longer than vinyl replacement windows, which are rarely guaranteed for more than 10 years. Mine are made of accoya, which is a specially treated wood product that is supposed to last up to 50 years! I'm estimating that touch-ups to paint will be necessary every 5 years or so, but the trick is to keep up with touch-ups so that a major repainting isn't necessary. Putty should be replaced every 20 years (mine have gone too long!) but my storms have wood stops so they won't need to be redone.

This website has a lot of good information about wood windows:

https://www.oldhouseguy.com/windows/

• overhear
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It sounds like we've been on similar odysseys. Before restoring our antique wood windows at least one pane was broken in almost every window and only a few opened at all.

Thanks for the tip about accoya and Rhino wood repair. I'm now determined to come up with a solution for the screens and storms!

• overhear
    Original Author
    last year

OK! This is embarrassing. I still haven't completed this project, but I swear this is the season to get it done.

@toddinmn, I hope you don't mind a few more questions:

1) I never seriously considered going with a traditional 2-track with a full immobile screen because I generally prefer to minimize the amount of window that's covered by a screen. Am I wrong to be leaning toward triple tracks?

2) Do you still prefer the Pro-Via premium triple tracks for the best quality? Is anything new or better available in the way of a triple track, especially flush mounted?

Thanks so much again for all the input!

• HU-461380089
    4 months ago

Found this thread while searching for something related. In case you are still on the fence, I can recommend the ProVia triple track aluminum storms as we put them on our Victorian house nearly 18 years ago, replacing ill-fitting, pitted mill-finish triple tracks. We also did not want full screens. They are not flush with the exterior casing (mimicking a historic wood storm) but are mounted to the exterior stop, recessed into window opening somewhat. They are the same color as the wood sashes, and although the aluminum frame and sashes are narrow, they conceal the wood sashes. (Maybe less so if your wood sashes are a light color.) Anyway, they are still operating perfectly. A few screens have pulled out of their track, but we had them replaced at our local glass co. with screening to match. We've been very happy with their performance both for heat loss and sound reduction.

• overhear
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thanks for weighing in, HU-461380089. Unfortunately, ProVia stopped manufacturing storm windows last year. :-(

I started a new thread when I re-started my search for storm windows last year which has updated info on what's currently available:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6366076/which-storm-window-brands-are-still-available-in-2023

We finally put in an order with QuantaPanel this fall and are now awaiting delivery.

• Ellen Mahony
    3 months ago

Interested to hear how it goes!!