Blast From the Past is Back in the Stores

ritaweeda

Can't believe macrame is coming back - I've seen it in 3 stores already. Of course I threw out all that stuff I made back in the 70's. Who knew??

SaveComment37Like2
Comments (37)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanwv

I made them too, Rita. Had hanging plants in them everywhere!

1 Like Save    
Granny J

I have several of them. Some of them hold one plant, some two and some three.

1 Like Save    
sushipup1

Shudder. I hated it back then, no reason to change my mind now.

1 Like Save    
schoolhouse_gwagain

The good ole' macrame owl wall hanging! Those were everywhere,too.

1 Like Save    
blfenton

Dust and grease magnets.

3 Likes Save    
PRO
Anglophilia

Oh gawd...can bell bottoms be far behind...

Save    
janey_alabama

Oh my I use to love to macramé. All my friends had plant holders & owls-even frogs.

1 Like Save    
Marilyn_Sue

I had a daughter that did macramé, I never did.

Sue

Save    
arcy_gw

WHAT!?!? Ya'll don't still have yours?!! hahaah When your MIL dies--the owl DH made in high school comes back to roost!!

8 Likes Save    
Debby

I started macrame again a year ago.

2 Likes Save    
Granny J

My macrame plant hangers are neither dusty nor greasy. I vacuum the hangers when needed and they aren't anywhere close to the cooking area.

2 Likes Save    
chisue

Not my thing, then or now.

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Been 'trendy' among the young'uns for some time, actually.

Save    
Feathers11

Yes, it's been around now a while. Houseplants specialty stores are cropping up. I'm working with one now, and macrame plant hangers are popular. So is incense, 70s-inspired pillows, crystals... and, yes, bell-bottoms.

If anyone needs a side hustle, I know some plant stores who'd love your macrame!

Save    
salonva

I am with chisue- while I was comfortable seeing it all around me, I never had it (even the planters I remember so many people having for the hanging spider plants lol) - never loved it and still don't . But to each his own so enjoy.

Save    
Rusty

Macrame is one of the few crafts I've never tried ro do personally. But I have a few pieces that were made for me by a former step DIL, and I love them! Macrame can be a beautiful art form, I'm glad it's coming back!

Rusty

3 Likes Save    
arcy_gw

I used it for making bracelets in junior high. Never attempted larger projects.

Save    
DawnInCal

What's old is new again!

I always (still do) thought macrame looked cool. Sometimes I wonder if that's because I never learned how to macrame, which makes it this mysterious art that others have the talent for, but that I'm lacking.

Because macrame is trending, I've been teaching myself this skill (thank you, youtube!) and have started incorporating it into jewelry designs. It's an nice alternative to beads, chain or leather cord.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I think there was a burnout factor for many. It became too ubiquitous, seen everywhere for too many things, so as to be no longer attractive or interesting. I'm not over the burnout myself.

Save    
ritaweeda

Yes I agree, if something is done and done to death it becomes no longer attractive. Way long before the angel craze I started collecting them. I didn't know another person who did. Then it became a fad and I was not happy about that. I stopped getting new ones. The macrame thing happened at the same time that decorating the house with live plants was a huge thing. So it worked well with the macrame plant holders. I didn't know this had made a comeback for awhile now. This just shows that I'm not one for frequent shopping trips. The only reason why I had seen it recently in 3 different stores is because I was actually looking for something else specific. I need to get out more. I'm just not one who spends my spare time aimlessly wandering around in stores.

1 Like Save    
FlamingO in AR

I loved it, I made belts, keychains, purses, plant hangers, even a hanging table. I made a miniature owl a few years ago just for fun, using string. It’s about 1.5” tall.

1 Like Save    
jemdandy

Ohh, I can't wait! Maybe those little weaving frames to make hot pads will come back; How about 'paint by numbers'. The best part of those paint-by-number kits were the oak frames. We had several of those frames laying around and I have repurposed most of those.

1 Like Save    
ritaweeda

Hey - if you're going to go to that extreme with the paint by number you might as well go all the way to the ones of Elvis on black velvet! - LOL!!!

3 Likes Save    
Louiseab Ibbotson

I made horse bridles out of macrame

Save    
DawnInCal

Well, one thing is for sure. Anyone with macrame skills and a roll of cord will be able to make many useful things if they ever end up stranded on a desert island. I'm thinking hammocks, fishing nets, clothing, bug netting and on the list goes!

I love the idea of macrame horse bridles.

1 Like Save    
FlamingO in AR

Survival bracelets, those are big with outdoorsmen, cops, first responders, etc. They are macramé. I think the hobby stores have a dedicated section for them.

2 Likes Save    
chisue

Survival bracelets? What survives, other than the macrame that we can't seem to eradicate?

1 Like Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Had a pretty purse that was macrame. Other than that, no thanks? If I remember correctly.

Save    
FlamingO in AR

https://survivallife.com/make-paracord-survival-bracelets/

They can come in real handy in emergency situations. An active person never knows when he/she might need a long piece of cord.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

My kids all like hiking/backpacking and adventuresome exploring in the boondocks. All are well equipped with appropriate and pricey REI gear. One bought an expensive global satellite emergency rescue beacon.

None has any macrame in their gear bags, to my knowledge. I don't think they're missing something essential. Do you?

Save    
FlamingO in AR

https://www.paracordpaul.com/paracord-bracelet/

I think a lot of people receive them as gifts of love. I imagine you’re safe, Elmer.

2 Likes Save    
foggyj2

i went crazy with macrame. Made a big angel that hung above the fireplace at Christmas. Made a window covering, plant hangers, the owl pictured above, a frog, and a six foot giraffe, that my daughter still has. If I started doing it again, it would take me right back to the seventies! Not sure I could do it anymore. It was fun at the time though.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"I think a lot of people receive them as gifts of love."

I think the good intentions of the gift givers not withstanding, I suspect a lot of people would view receiving a macrame gift as a white elephant. The comments by others suggest that views of macrame are mixed.

" I imagine you’re safe, Elmer."

I hope so and I'm discounting to zero the desert island possibility dawn mentions.

Save    
ritaweeda

It took me many years to realize that not everyone loves what I love and I wonder how many times I gave someone something that they later gave or threw away. We who do arts and crafts think our creativity, cost of supplies and time spent are priceless but not so much do others agree. I've stopped giving unless there is a genuine interest shown by someone. Even then I hesitate since they might be just trying to be nice. I make quilts and I think they are just wonderful but others would look at them and wonder what kind of a complete idiot takes perfectly good (and expensive by the way) fabric and cut it up into all kinds and sizes of shapes and sew it back together again. I would rather that people just be honest about what they like and dislike so that we don't waste our "priceless" gifts on them in the first place.

5 Likes Save    
FlamingO in AR

I’m a quilter, too, Ritaweeda, and yes, you do need to be discriminating about who you give your expensive creations to. Expensive in time and materials. It’s a great feeling though, to give a gift that you know is appreciated.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"We who do arts and crafts think our creativity, cost of supplies and time spent are priceless but not so much do others agree."

So very, very true. Not only may others not so much agree, they will frequently strongly disagree.

One way to minimize such problems with crafts or other gifts is to give more thought or investigation into learning what the recipient would like to get, not simply acting on what the giver wants to give.

Save    
cat_ky

I love macramé hangers. I have two very carefully packed away, that were made by one of my sons in school. One is a table. I also have the original table top packed away. I dont have a place to hang them in this house, but, I have always had them hanging until we moved here 10 yrs ago.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Makeovers Before and After: Modern Update Blasts a '70s Kitchen Out of the Past
A massive island and a neutral color palette turn a retro kitchen into a modern space full of function and storage
Full Story
Organizing Is Clutter Holding You Back From Living Your Ideal Life?
Here are 7 ways clutter can bog you down, and 7 ways you can benefit from decluttering
Full Story
Inspiring Gardens Sit Back and Enjoy the View From This Brooklyn Rooftop Garden
A landscaper transforms his apartment building’s rooftop into a lush retreat where he and his friends relax and sometimes take in a movie
Full Story