SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petuniafish

Blast from the past

Nancy
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I grew up in a citrus grove in Corona CA in Riverside County. I was well acquainted with the routines of raising citrus- the watering ditches, the weir boxes, fertilizing and smudge pots back then. And the ladders hanging from the limbs of trees like Christmas ornaments at picking time. Our dog never failed to find the workers tortillas until my mom finally learned to make tamales for everyone. There was a Mexican family who lived onsite and helped with the trees, and had kids my brothers and I played baseball with. We learned to speak Spanish from them. Lots of tarantulas and rattlesnakes under the trees where we'd play hide and seek.

This grove my family owned was planted first in 1912, then again in the 1950's and again in 1972. It's now mostly McMansions with just a few rows of trees left from the various eras. A distant cousin still owns a half acre that he keeps in a state of partial neglect. The red grapefruit and Valencia's are all gone. The Eurekas remain and despite their sad state they produce nicely.

I took an evening short walk on it with my grandson when I was visiting down there this week. The picture of him walking is precisely where the Mexican family's home stood, now a row of 20 year old sad trees. The picture with the trunk of tree is one that was planted in in 1953. The diameter is 24". It was all a bittersweet moment. Glad there is something that survives from the stately beauty that used to cover the entirety of Orange and Riverside Counties. (I really sound like the old lady that I am!)

Nancy

Comments (11)