SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justashackinthebush

Do quiet alcove bathtubs exist anymore?

justashackinthebush
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

[Eek, apparently a smiley broke the formatting and munched 95% of this post. Retyping without emoji, sorry for newbie error!]

Also hoping for a little reassurance that I haven't lost my ever loving mind. [grin]

I inherited a 50 year old house that was very well built (and immaculately documented - every piece of paper for build/materials/maintenance for its entire existence) but needing a bathroom update.

The existing main floor tub is an alcove 60x32 with sliding glass doors and a 1" tile ceiling height surround. I think the tub is cast iron, because when hit with fingernail or knuckle it sounds like my CI dutch oven and my mother's claw foot tub. It doesn't sound high or ring-y like a steel sauce pan. When you remove the plumbing access panel in the adjacent wall, the unfinished surface of the tub is coarse and nubbly, and mostly dark grey (some small areas are light brown corrosion or casting material?). The invoice for the tub only gave a model name, no brand or materials info.

What I LOVE about this tub is that it's super quiet to shower in. I set my phone on the sliding door rail and listen to podcasts or watch Youtube. I've never been able to do that in any newer construction tub I've met, but that's far from an exhaustive list. They all have this boomy quality, like you're drumming your fingers on a margarine tub. The existing tub sounds like rain hitting a sidewalk - no boom, just minor splashing, easy to hold a conversation without raising your voice.

Talking with local bath contractors have been unnerving and largely unhelpful. I can't figure out if they don't know the answer, honestly aren't aware of acoustic differences, or just aren't focused on matching the solution to the client's actual problem. Two have told me that cast iron is now lower quality than acrylic, and the phrasing used sounded less grounded in fact than a reluctance to move heavy items. (The house was designed to be worked on - access is tailgate height with wide hallways, so this is comparatively easy.)

Taking the question to a friend with acoustics qualifications but no plumbing experience, the input I received was theoretical at best. His best calculation was that if all the stars aligned, there would still be a noticeable difference - but whether it would be in bearable range was up in the air. How much or what types of damping may be available, no idea.

So, time to ask some wise strangers who have no skin in the game.

1. Do simple white 60x32 alcove tubs exist that are QUIET while the shower is running, and widely available in Canada?
  2. Have I been getting poor answers from contractors because I'm using the wrong terms to describe the issue I'd like to solve?
  3. Even a "quiet new tubs exist, I have one!" story would be a big help in feeling less crazy. [grin]

Thanks so much for reading!

Comments (26)