SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Opinions/experiences on growing roses in pots

sara_ann-z6bok
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

After looking at my roses and making an observation, I really do like growing them in pots, but will admit I need to winterize them better! That’s something I can do, just need to make more effort, which I haven’t done the past couple of seasons.

My grafted roses in pots, especially multiflora grafted ones repeat quickly! Especially Oklahoma, Pope John Paul II, and Dream Come True. I planted quite a few own root Hybrid Teas in pots and while most of them got a slow start, they are looking very good right now and are setting on lots of buds. Last year I noticed the Austins I planted in pots, both grafted and own root did really good, but like I said I didn’t take enough precautions for winter protection. Munstead Wood, which I planted this year in a pot, just got through blooming and is already setting on more buds. My Mystic Beauty is also doing good.

I love growing roses in the ground too, it‘s just a matter of finding the ones that, after they become established that will improve with time, like Poseidon, Beverly, Zaide, Dark Desire, Orchid Romance, Liebeszauber, and Belinda’s Dream that I can think of.

Own root GRANDE AMORE, which has already had several beautiful blooms looks very healthy, as do most of my other own root potted roses.

I would like feedback from others on this topic.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting