SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_39177052745

Need Refg. ASAP

Jora
4 years ago

After giving us a SOLID - ZERO issues - almost 16 years, our Kenmore Elite refrigerator finally died a few days ago.

We'd assumed that we wouldn't have much time left with him, but figured we'd find his replacement before we HAD to!

Been going crazy trying to find the right refrigerator.

We thought we'd picked 'THE' one - Kitchen Aid five door Platinum Series - but after looking at it again earlier today, and reading the negative reviews, we are back to square one.

Wants:

French door as opposed to side by side

Longevity

Max. cubic feet

Under 3 K

Don't need:

Water dispenser

Any advice/help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (76)

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Look at Bosch.

Jora thanked cpartist
  • mnzinnia
    4 years ago

No matter what brand it is somewhat of a crap shoot!

My son got this one and really liked it. When my old one died I looked at many brands and models and reviews but ended up with the same Whirlpool. I really liked the deli drawer and the 3 levels in the pull out freezer. Couldn't take it with us when we moved, unfortunantly, as I dont like the configuration of the current one as much. His is about 5 yrs old and no problems. They make this for a little less $ without the sliding freezer levels. Might be worth a look.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-26-2-cu-ft-4-Door-French-Door-Refrigerator-with-Ice-Maker-Fingerprint-Resistant-Stainless-Steel/1000318967

• Related Discussions

Need help ASAP! Exterior update needed before loss of insurance

Q

Comments (18)
    My spouse has been in insurance for over 13 years and knows the laws and regulations and is licensed in 45 states. But the exterior was up to code other than a panel along the bottom on the side of the driveway and it was that way when we moved in and so we did not change it. in 2017 the 10 month notice was to difficult to have all the work done as we lost my spouses income completely and the medical treatment bill was $500,000.00 and that was top priority to save my spouse's life. So yes the home got put second. Our state told we do not qualify for any assistance as they would take my spouse's prior income into account. I was able to find a family member that is willing to help with the siding, but said we will have to buy the materials and his crew can handle the installation for labor the cost is $5500.00 I am hoping that is not too steep. We will now just have to figure what supplies for the exterior we will want to upgrade the home as if we are going to put money in, we want to make it worth it.
    ...See More

Help! Need to pick floor for this lovely house asap

Q

Comments (14)
    There are some very good options you could choose, even w/renters. This is an engineered wood, click and lock from HomeDepot. It's "Malibu". if you go to JenWoodhouse blog/page, she shows how she installed it and the final look. it's not that expensive but looks pretty good. Somerset White Oak natural, engineered. also on the cheaper end. Perhaps you could invest in some area rugs while the tenants are in place? the rugs are much more cost effective. In fact, if you choose to do the engineered wood floors, you could do carpet over them buy getting a neutral color remnant (usually a few hundred or so) and having the edges bound in order to make your own 'area rug'. what I'd do is measure your living space floor area and get the rug sized so that it just comes off the walls. for example,,,,if the room is 14x14, get a remnant (they are usually 12' or 13') around 12x12 or so. this way only a few feet of the flooring is actually exposed. The 'rug' actually looks like carpet. Basically it would look like these pictures, except the rug would actually go wall to wall, more or less You can have it custom cut to fit the areas. for the kitchen, think about going w/a solid marmoleum or linoleum! super easy to care for and fits the style of the home here's a mid century look kitchen w/the wood floors and "tile-look" kitchen. perfect for your style. these are also marmoleum. they come in tons of colors/sizes. But the carpet idea, perfect for tenants as it can be steamed cleaned. When they leave, take it up and you'll have your perfect floors! if you do go w/laminate, here's one that looks like an oak, and isn't that expensive. home depot has this
    ...See More

identification needed ASAP!

Q

Comments (15)
    AARGH! I just wrote a post - and it disappeared....! Trying again.... sah67 and others with experience with these plants - We are now in our late 60s with increasing physical limitations, so I am trying to think of an efficient way to control these plants with the least amount of physical effort by us... Currently brunnera is our worst spreading reseeder. BUT it is short, has attractive foliage after the flowers finish, and grows well with other perennials and shrubs and trees. The helleborines don't seem to meet this profile... No-bare-ground is a basic operating philosophy here as pesty weed and other seeds tend to germinate better on bare ground. So we dig out any brunnera seedlings that appear on paths (bare ground other than bark mulch applied every 3 years or so) and leave the rest alone. If you look at the pictures I posted at the beginning of the thread, the first one has multiple stems in a fairly straight line (arising from a fleshy root...?) and is growing on the bare-ground of a path; the second picture shows a stem in a bed where it has to compete with other plants for space to germinate and grow. So... I am considering a modification of our approach to controlling brunera - i.e. dig out any helleborines that appear on a path but cut back to ground level (repeatedly if necessary) any that appear in a bed once they get 6" tall or so. By not letting them flower and set seed and reducing their ability to feed those fleshy roots, I'd hope to limit their ability to take over the garden while minimizing the physical effort required by us. Do you think that would work for us?
    ...See More

PLEASE Decorating Help needed asap!!

Q

Comments (10)
    Turquoise and pink is a "young" palette. If you love it, you love it. In fact...... together, those colors are a palette that can come off as bit "home store"/less expensive than other combinations. But again, color is personal. If the butterfly speaks to you ..... it speaks! I think eliminating the turquoise chair, and pulling in more of the blush tones would elevate the space, look richer. But that's me and my opinion. A blush quilt folded foot of the bed would give it an ending point , more interest..... The butterfly? Other things seem richer or softer, or even more grown up..... but again, not my room
    ...See More
  • Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jan - I always enjoy your comments. Hubby purchased the K.A. KitchenAid 25.8 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator in Stainless Steel with Platinum Interior Model# KRMF706ESS on Friday, but having read scary reviews about this particular model, I asked that we go out and look to see if we can find one that is both more roomy and simple (no water dispenser, etc.).

Cholebud - You crack me up! We purchased a Kenmore Elite washer & dryer same time we did the fridge 16 years ago. It lasted 12 years, flawlessly - Until some idiot (talking about myself) - overstuffed the washer, causing the bowl to break off. Both the washer & dryer were in FANTASTIC condition inside and out.

We went shopping for a new, identical, set and immediately ruled Kenmore out as the tag inside said "Made in China". We eventually purchased a Whirlpool set.

Suzebell - Def. the more gadgets ANYTHING has, the most likely it will fail. Unfortunately we've become a disposable Country.

Anglophilia - That's what we are gearing towards. We don't need the water dispenser, but I am VERY migraine prone, and my only grace is icing my neck and sleep...so I can't do without an ice maker, although we are looking to purchase one with a 'turn on - off' feature!

Diana - Don't even get me started! :)

cpartist - Funny you should mention Bosch! From what I understand, although almost every Bosch (fridge) is "made in China" and incredibly unreliable, incredibly they have just come out (due out in September) which is supposed to be a very reliable, dual compressor, American made unit, at a very low starting price to both prove themselves and reel customers back in. It's a rather simple three door - bottom freezer.

Hubby and I are EXHAUSTED. Spent ALL day (over 12 hours) cleaning the whole downstairs. Planning on Fridge shopping tomorrow!

Happy Labor Day Everyone. ENJOY.

• Shannon_WI
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Please note that Kenmore does not manufacture anything. Sears takes other manufacturers' appliances - any of the Whirlpool companies, Samsung, LG, GE, and then puts the Kenmore badge on them. There have been several mentions in this thread of Kenmore appliances as if Kenmore is or was the manufacturer, so I wanted to make sure you're aware.

Jora thanked Shannon_WI
  • salonva
    4 years ago

I believe the Kenmore we had at our last house was made by LG and we really liked it. (bought within last 5 years). The only brand I seem to hear consistently "stay away" from is Samsung for fridge. I think the issue is more a question of authorized repair and parts availability rather than reliability- so not a greater likelihood of problems, but IF there is a problem it's harder to get corrected.

So surprised to read negatives on Bosch. oy

Jora thanked salonva
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    4 years ago

You don't say what size you need, but I'll assume a 36" wide model that isn't counter-depth. Take a look at Bosch french door fridges. They're a good brand and reasonably priced. A quick search shows they get 4-5 star reviews. I spec them a lot in the kitchens I design. Good luck!

Jora thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • acm
    4 years ago

I was worried about the water lines too, and had them put in with household-level equipment. But then we had an electrical outage/restart and it was the compressor that went. Just gotta get one and move on.

Jora thanked acm
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

"...Until some idiot (talking about myself) - overstuffed the washer..."

LOL, Jora...probably a good idea not to over stuff almost anything!

Jora thanked chloebud
  • cpartist
    4 years ago

Jora, I wouldn't be worried about them being made in China as the parts used are Turkish parts. They are just assembled there. Well some of them are. Their integrated fridges I believe are made here in the US.

I have their integrated fridge and I love it.

Jora thanked cpartist
  • dadoes
    4 years ago

Overstuffing a washer may cause an item (if a toploader) to go over the rim of the inner drum into the outer tub and clog the pump or cause a jam, or result in the overloaded clothes not getting properly cleaned & rinsed ... but it will not cause anything to "break off." Some related part was already weakened in some way and coincidentally broke at that point.

• ljptwt7
    4 years ago

Check out Thor. Sold online at Home Depot. I feel your pain. Just had to replace our 20 yr old Whirlpool Refrigerator. Went with Thor counter depth due to our kitchen layout.

• Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Shannon - Yes, you are correct. Our Kenmore was made by Whirlpool then...it is made by LG now. :)

Salonva - We really like the aesthetics of LG, but was told to stay away from them as well. Like Samsung, LG is a Korean company, and just like Samsung, it's very difficult to get parts/customer service WHEN (not if) it breaks down.

Didn't realize the negatives about Bosch either, until we were advised against it by professionals. Apparently, refrigerators are not their strong suits! :)

Sabrina, yes you are right. We are looking for a 36" wide fridge.

Thank you for letting me know about Bosch...we'll take another look, since you are the pro.

but I'm afraid they're just not big enough. We are going out in a few to look at fridges, and although I want a French door, can't do a side by side (need the fridge room)!I find that the 4 star reviews (not Bosch but others) are actually paid reviews.

act - I wish it was that easy for us to just buy one, but although I understand it's basically the 'luck of the draw', we still want to make a 'semi' educated decision.

Chloe - I was in a rush and looking to save time. Learned my lesson!

cpartist - Which model do you have? Yes, I know they may be assembled in China, but I believe some of the units also have parts that are from there. Thank you!

dadoes - Ours was a front load (sigh), and trust me, it wasn't on it's way out...I practically KICKED it out! :)

liptwt7- Will do so right after I hit the send button on this reply. THANK YOU for the recommendation. :)

We are off to go do the searching in half an hour. Will keep you guys posted. Thank you all again, and again HAPPY Labor Day!

• Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

liptwt7 - Is Thor made by Samsung? Just checked out their models and they look awfully identical to Samsung fridges...have to check that out.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

• jsewell78
    4 years ago

Do NOT buy a bottom freezer refrigerator! I had an LG only 4 1/2 years old and the freezer wouldnt cool past 10-20 degreees Fahrenheit. I spent over $2000 on it. I decided to replace since I was told it would be $1200 to fix it. So, a month ago Lowes delivered my Brand NEW Samsung bottom freezer refrigerator. I spent almost $3000 with extended warranty. I’ve already had to switch breaker twice because my freezer got back over 20 degrees. However, the thermostat inside the refrigerator says 0 degrees. I keep separate temperature thermometer in both the fridge and freezer to check every time I open t myself. It’s because the stupid computer has to be reset because we’ve had some bad weather in the south so you have to unplug or switch breaker and wait and reset the stupid stupid stupid computer inside the refrigerator. I won’t even put food in the freezer anymore. I have a cheap top freezer no fancy refrigerator in my garage that I love. I wish I hadn’t even bought this garbage from Samsung. An electrician told me to buy a surge protector so I am. Please remember this new refrigerator is barely a month old!!!!!!!!! Never again. I will buy me a cheap one. This stresses me out because I’m having to check my thermometers every day. It did it again today. It says -1 degrees but my thermometer said 10 degrees and climbed to 29 degrees. You can’t tell if the stupid computer needs to be reset. No warning. Don’t buy!!!!!!! Get a cheap refrigerator. You’ll be so much happier. They don’t make them like they used to.

• ljptwt7
    4 years ago

Jora, I do not think Thor is made by Samsung. Thor is an American company BUT appliances are made in China (I thought they were made in USA). I almost ruled it out when I found that out but reviews I read were good. And Samsung and Lg scared me with their problems. Nothing seems reliable anymore. Planned obsolescence. I almost wonder if part of the problem is so many want to upgrade appliances not because they are bad but "outdated"??
    I would like to buy a new stove since my 20 year old one heats the house so much in the summer, a burner sometimes lights and sometimes I have to use a lighter, takes forever to preheat, blah blah blah...but what to get that is reliable?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

" like to buy a new stove since my 20 year old one heats the house so much in the summer, a burner sometimes lights and sometimes I have to use a lighter, takes forever to preheat, blah blah blah...but what to get that is reliable?"

What is the definition of reliability? You kick it. and bang the thing with a pot ? : )

Have you been driving the same car for twenty years? !!!?

Come on folks. ...........ditch the malfunctioning beasts. You wouldn't drive a car that left you stranded every week.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 years ago

In my experience, GE makes very good cooking appliances. Their Cafe line is reasonably priced--I have the electric range and it's fine for the everyday cook. It also comes in gas.

• ljptwt7
    4 years ago

Actually we drove our car for 19 years. Unfortunately it failed emissions and would be too expensive to fix (more than the car was worth) so we had to kiss it goodbye. It never left us stranded.
    My definition of reliable is it doesn't break after 2 -3 years. When something costs around $1000 or more (like most major appliances) I think it should last awhile. I think it should last for at least 15 years. Unrealistic I know....

• Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

ljptwt7 - Unfortunately we live in a time where nothing is quite that reliable anymore.

Personally, I'd be happy if a fridge I bought for a little over 3K lasts me 4-5 solid years! :)

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 years ago

In my vacation rental home I have a KitchenAid French door freezer-on-the-bottom, counter depth refrigerator, bought in 2012. On delivery it had a cracked pan and leaked water, we had it repaired under warranty. Haven't had a problem until this summer (2019), when the ice maker has not worked consistently. We'll probably need a repair, but knowing how ice makers work (or don't) we may need to revert back to ice trays :( But as far as keeping food cool and safe, it's fine.

In my primary residence I splurged on a SubZero when renovating the kitchen in 2014. I am hoping it lasts as long as the first one I had--27 years! Worth the $$$$ if you can swing it!

Jora thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

Jora, when I was shopping for a new washer a salesman told me to expect 5-10 years from a new one. Then he said to keep my fingers tightly crossed once it hit 5 years.

Jora thanked chloebud
  • A E
    4 years ago

IMHO, the more hoopla, the more issues. I would refuse to spent $3,000, but I'm old and defiant. I was appalled when I saw the prices! It's organized to death. My fridge has too many drawers to the point that not one fits a head of lettuce or cabbage, due to it's full meat drawer that is useless to me. So make sure the drawers are useful. My advice is make sure what you buy fits the fridge! And fwiw, I've replaced the ice maker 4 times in 6 years.

Jora thanked A E
  • Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Diana - We purchased the five drawer one, but called and returned it today as the store had not yet placed the order with K.A. I know through the years so many companies have purchased one another, and so many things have changed that I'm not surprised to read that the 'once' reliable K.A. brand is no longer getting the same rave reviews.

I did tell my husband that if we were rich - I'd invest in a SubZero in a heart beat. When fridge shopping, saw one for 17 K (yes, you read correctly, SEVENTEEN THOUSAND) that melted my heart.

Chloe - I believe you sales guy - and personally think that if you do hit the 5 year mark, you should consider yourself lucky! What did you end up purchasing? Did I ask that before?

A E - YES, the more features a fridge has, the more things can go wrong with it. I have noticed that the fridges are now made mostly for aesthetics, than function. Which brand did you purchase? K.A.?

• dadoes
    4 years ago

Whirlpool has owned KitchenAid since 1986. Nothing new about that.

Jora thanked dadoes
  • A E
    4 years ago

Yes, Jora. More made for aesthetics than function. We have an LG bottom freezer. I hate it. I've looked at oodles of others and truly despise them along with their price. I can't fathom trying to figure out which drawer the food is in. My ultimate favorite was one I had to leave with a house we sold. A 25cuft Amana, top freezer. It was awesome and I'd take that back in a heartbeat! But that was back in 1997. Just like dishwashers and washers - more so-called energy savings and gadgety, than function. And frankly, I don't find having to wash my washer energy efficient, but that would be a different thread. LOL.

Jora thanked A E
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

Jora, we bought an LG washer and dryer. I got so frustrated after seeing bad reviews for anything I came close to getting. I finally decided to just focus on something with features I liked and ignore brand names. There was a Maytag set I also liked, but the Whirlpool-Maytag connection pushed me to the LG set. As I mentioned, our Whirlpool Cabrio washer only lasted 4 years. It was so loud before it died that my neighbor called me one day to ask what the noise was coming from our house. Seriously sounded like a jet taking off! Then it started spitted out oil from underneath before leaking water all over the laundry room. Nicely done, Whirlpool!

Jora thanked chloebud
  • katinparadise
    4 years ago

Chloebud, I had terrible issues with a Whirlpool Cabrio top loader washer as well. Things would slide between the drum and the body of the washer and I'd have to call repair people to take everything apart and retrieve whatever it was (usually something like a dime or nickel my son didn't take out of his pocket). I had the thing repaired more times than the number of years I owned it. It was horrible. I finally got rid of it and bought a front loader. Ironically, it was Whirlpool as well and I never had a problem with it. Then I moved and my husband bought the washer and dryer in the new house because I was still up north for 6 months working. He purchased a Maytag top loader extra large commercial style washer and it's held up quite well for 7 years now.

I also just went through a 3 year nightmare with my Whirlpool double french door refrigerator. 6 months after I got it, I started having issues with the area in the back of the fridge freezing up and losing cooling capacity. I had it repaired at least 6 times over 3 years and they replaced literally every part of the refrigerator at least once. After it happened the last time about 6 months ago, I got on the phone and told Whirlpool that I was finished fooling with this and wanted a new refrigerator. They offered me a replacement at the low, low, pro-rated price of $939! I told her that wasn't offering me anything but the opportunity to buy the refrigerator at their cost! They tried telling me the refrigerator was 3 years old and they weren't going to replace it like it was new. I told them the only reason it was 3 years old was that they didn't replace it after it broke down 3 times during the 1 year warranty period. She tried to tell me that there were no reported issues with the refrigerator and that was the offer and I could take it or leave it. So I put together a copy of all my service records and wrote a letter to corporate. A week later I got a call from them saying that of course the refrigerator should be replaced and 10 days after that, there was a new refrigerator in my kitchen. The driver from the trucking company that delivered it walked in and said "Freezing up in the refrigerator all the time?" I told him yes, and asked how he knew that. He told me they've delivered hundreds of new ones just in my geographic area to replace the ones with the same issues mine had. So much for customer service telling me there were "no known problems" with the refrigerator! It's only been 3 months now, so we'll see if the they've corrected the design defect or not. It usually likes to wait until the holidays when I have company coming and a fridge full of food before it freezes up, so we'll see if how it goes!

Jora thanked katinparadise
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

"So much for customer service telling me there were "no known problems" with the refrigerator!"

Kat, don't you just love that!? Whirlpool told me the same thing when I called about our washer sounding like a jet engine. Yes, it was 4 years old but geez! The repair guy told me it would be about $650 to fix it. Then he said what I was thinking...just go get a new one. I swear, the world of appliances can drive you NUTS!

Yes, these appliances do like to wait until the holidays to act up!

Jora thanked chloebud
  • katinparadise
    4 years ago

I so wanted to call back and put it on record that I knew she lied to me. Fortunately, the lady at corporate was so sweet, I decided to let it go. They wanted about that to fix my washer the last time. That's when I decided to buy new. It was during the last administration when there were incentives for upgrading to more energy efficient appliances so between all the local and state discounts, I got quite a deal. Oddly enough, the Whirlpool side by side refrigerator I had in the house for 12 years was still going strong when I moved out.

Jora thanked katinparadise
  • jsewell78
    4 years ago

Update: my Samsung freezer went from -10 degrees Fahrenheit last night to 25 degrees by this morning. Again, had to flip breaker to get computer to reset to get freezer to start cooling again. I went immediately to Lowe’s and getting a replacement. I’ve only had fridge for 30 days!!!

Jora thanked jsewell78
  • A E
    4 years ago

My advice would be to go to an appliance repair shop and ask them. They’ll let you know. Also consumer reports magazine is a good option too.

Jora thanked A E
  • sprtphntc7a
    4 years ago

look at Liebherr., much less than SZ but well built. we have had ours over 6 years and nary a problem, fingers crossed as i type!!

no water dispenser, in-freezer ice maker. now that was replaced, covered under warranty but they knew it was faulty and replaced no problem. also repairman said to not leave ice scoop in ice bin, that causes issues with ice dropping into bin.

so incredibly quiet, you only hear the ice dropping.

more than 3K but might be worth it to you in the long run

• Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

dadoes - Yes, they have, but I bet that where the way they make it now has changed.

A E - I don't think it's specifically about Amana, or any other brand...rather things made years past had quality, as where now it's made to NOT last intentionally.

Your advice sounds fantastic, but unfortunately the only repair shops that are around us are vacuum cleaner shops - they say, btw, that the most issues are with Dysons!

Consumer reports Thermador the BEST for fridges, with SubZero and LG being the next in line. Something just seems OFF about the report! ;)

Chloe - You are so funny. I would be SO angry if that happened to me. We have front load W & D, but from my understanding top load Washers are meant to last a lifetime. It's awful to hear all these horror stories about people spending their hard earned money, and not having longevity. NO appliance should have such a brief life span. It's amazing how our previous, both negative and positive, experiences, effect our future choices. I'm curious how you like your LG W & D. I believe I've heard that they actually do great with those.

Katinparadise - AMAZING. I'm never surprised to hear stories like yours. They push back ONLY because many people get tired of fighting. I'm glad that they weren't able to bully you out of getting your replacement. About you contacting the lady to let her know she lied...I'm sorry to say this, but I seriously doubt they care. People care only if they have integrity and character. If they lie, it's obvious they are lacking both!

jsewell78 - OMG, I'm angry for you! I'd be livid. When shopping for fridges, I asked every sales person "What would you sell your sister/Mom/family, and what is the one brand that you guys get yelled at the most after the sale. EVERY sales person told us whatever we do, STAY AWAY from Samsung. Combination of bad product and even worse customer service are the reasons they all gave.

sprtphntc7a - I've heard great things about Liebherr appliances. If I remember correctly, specifically about their washing machines. Unfortunately we are strapped to purchase anything way above 3K. There is a lot going on in our life right now, independent of the minor kitchen remodel, preventing us from stretching our budget. I'm very very conservative, and prefer not to live beyond our means. I really do appreciate the recommendation though.

We bit the bullet, and ordered the LG four door refrigerator. I'm hoping that we get lucky and won't have too many issues with it - at least for a couple of years. :)

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Jora, here's hoping the LG fridge works nicely for you. Our LG washer/dryer have been great but we've only had them 3 years.

FWIW, Consumer Reports hasn't been much help for me. Asking repair shops for advice might be helpful, but you're likely to get different opinions. I might have mentioned the repair tech who came to look at our Whirlpool washer said his choice for kitchen appliances is KitchenAid. When I was shopping for the new washer 3 different places told me they sold more LG and Samsung than anything else. Whatever...I truly believe choosing any appliance is a crap shoot.

Jora thanked chloebud
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

Something else I remembered in case you're not aware. We've never bought extended warranties for appliances until we bought the new washer/dryer. I know extended warranties can be iffy, but they can be better than nothing with the quality of appliances these days. I found out our credit card company will extend the warranty for another 2 years at no cost when we use the card for the purchase...or even part of the purchase. We bought the 5-year warranty so that gave us 7 years. You might check for yourself. No big deal when you pay it off right away.

Jora thanked chloebud
  • salonva
    4 years ago

One tries to make an intelligent, informed decision when purchasing appliances for sure. I feel your pain entirely. I echo what choe said that it kind of comes down to a crapshoot. That said, I still think LG is good. I will let you all know what I end up with when we go appliance shopping soon. It just is not what it used to be, ever with reference to Consumer Reports. No longer the bible and even repair people. Last time I asked a repair person, he said, honestly, they are all so variable- just pick one with the options you want, at a price point you are comfortable and pray for the best. :)

Jora thanked salonva
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

"... just pick one with the options you want, at a price point you are comfortable and pray for the best."

That's about it...with emphasis on the praying! ;-)

Jora thanked chloebud
  • Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Chloe -We were told K.A. is the best, then told that it's not. One repair person told me that what it really comes down to is not the brand you pick, but which model of that particular appliance you pick.

We went to Home Depot, two major - local - appliance stores, and ended up making the purchase through Costco. Reason being, they not only had the price, they automatically double the manufacturers warranty, and then you get an additional 2 years of warranty on top of that if you make the purchase through Visa that does business with Costco.

We were told that 'this' particular LG comes with a 5 year compressor warranty, which covers both part as well as repair, and an additional 5 years for compressor only. But I think it's safe to say we can all assume what level of service a Korean company really offers!

Salonva - Unfortunately, the repair person spoke the truth! I think it goes further than a 'brand', the specific appliance, and the specific mode of that particular appliance...it really comes down to LUCK! :).

Please let me know what you end up with!

I'm sure I'll keep you guys posted on this 'FRIDGE JOURNEY'! I hate purchasing appliance almost as much as I hate purchasing cars!

• chloebud
    4 years ago

"We were told K.A. is the best, then told that it's not."

Ugh...and that's exactly my frustration in the world of appliance shopping! As I said, it's a crapshoot. Buying cars has been easier for me!

Jora thanked chloebud
  • Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So funny.... it's all relative!

I hate buying cars, because it's a MUCH bigger investment. :).

• J Williams
    4 years ago

Our fridge runs fine, has for years, the shelves on the other hand, broke the very first day it was delivered. We have cloth tape holding our shelves together, nothing but class around here. Also there is a huge gap at the back where spills run thru the entire fridge. Our stove was impossible, all I wanted was a solid, white, basic gas stove, without wire pot holders and without the built in griddle in the middle. The last stove had a big plastic knob over one of the burners which melted right off., I can’t remember why it died but the oven just would no longer come on, I think I broke it using the self clean mode. We tried to order a model we liked, and then I think the appliance store forgot about our order. I think it was a discontinued model or something. Dishwashers seem to break every 5years or so.

Jora thanked J Williams
  • Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

J Williams...Aesthetics is what is selling appliances now a days. They figure we are going to be swept off of our feet with all the beautiful gadgets, as opposed to really focus on their functionality.

I'm curious what brand of oven had you purchased?

• mle0782
    4 years ago

Check out the Yale appliance website—it is full of great product information on almost any brand you can think of. They also service anything they sell which means they keep stats on product reliability. Very interesting!

Jora thanked mle0782
  • J Williams
    4 years ago

The last stove we had was probably a kenmore, this one is GE.

Jora thanked J Williams
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

For the love of HEAVEN, please go buy a darn refrigerator. Not one of them will last 15 years, but in the meantime, the milk wlll be cold for as long as it does last. At some point it's absurd. Everything does not last "forever" In fact, almost nothing lasts forever. Go buy a dang fridge. You need a box in the kitchen that is 365/24/7 of cooling and freezing. You don't have one. Go GET one. Today.

• J Williams
    4 years ago

I understand the dilemma, something that costs so much shouldn’t be disposable. It does seem to be a bit of a crap shoot, we’ve had super basic appliances last for a long time and expensive ones die a quick death. We’ve never bought strictly for aesthetics, other than for the colour, and have never had the budget to buy all the bells and whistles, but you’ve got imagine simpler stuff is less likely to go wrong, or you can hope so lol.

Jora thanked J Williams
  • ljptwt7
    4 years ago

Jan, she did. Now we are just commenting on the delema of appliance shopping!

Jora thanked ljptwt7
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Thank the LORD ABOVE LOL

• Jora
    Original Author
    4 years ago

mle0782 - I did check out the Yale site when we were looking to purchase our stove. Initially I thought them to be an information site for appliances, and when I found out they actually sell products, I didn't go any further.

J Williams - I can't speak for a Kenmore stove, but we had a GE - came with our track home - and it lasted us 16 years FLAWLESSLY. I both cook and bake a lot, and it was the most precise range I ever worked with.

I'm not sure why that is, but you are accurate. Seems that the more $$ any appliance is, the shorter life span it has. I personally think that anything with bells and whistles doesn't last as long, simply because when the manufacturer has too many things to concentrate on, they don't actually put quality into the most important part of whatever it is you are buying.

ljptwt7 - Thanks! Glad to know someone is actually reading my posts! :)

Jan - You are so funny! AND impatient like myself. Like ljptwt7 indicated, we have already purchased our fridge - LG 30CuFt 4-Door French Door InstaView Refrigerator with Door-in-Door in Stainless Steel.

FYI - We also have a full upright freezer in the garage, and a small refrigerator (4.1 cubic ft.) in the house. :)