SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

Notching above a bud. Has anyone tried this?

katyajini
4 years ago

I first heard of notching above a bud to start a shoot forming from that bud from a YT video I have linked below. Its short, so do take a look.

The motivation is to have growth where the rose seems naked and leggy.

I had to try it.

(Later, I am reading, fruit growers do this too to create branches where they want on their fruit trees.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5cYbAcguo4

I chose eight buds among 3 of my roses. My no name rambler, Marchesa Bocella and ZD. I chose to notch in the bare leggy areas among really old wood and medium greenish wood.

AND I got two buds out of those eight to start shoots. Of course it could be entirely coincidental, I will share my thoughts below. I dont have a control. I did not think about controls too much at the time. As soon as I saw the video I ran out and did it with only a little bit of reflection, like where would I want to do this? (What would a control be for such an experiment anyway?)

I got a shoot on Marchesa Bocella

The bud:

The notch above the bud, cut on July 24th:

Then on August 3rd and Aug 8th:

There was another bud just below this one this one 90 degrees to it that I notched at the same time but nothing happened there:

I also got a shoot on my rambler:
here is the bud, also cut on July 24:

(I lost the picture of the notched bud right afterwards)

here is the notched bud with the shoot on Aug 9th.

Here are some notched buds that did not do anything:

Two woody area on my rambler:

Two green-wood (if there is such a classification) areas:

2 out of eight, 25% success rate, not bad for about 15 mins of work which includes taking pictures.

Is this real? Could it be better, higher probability? These are my thoughts:

1) Maybe 25% success is just about the odds for this procedure?

2) I did not know a thing about what I was doing, how the notch is supposed to be cut, (very true), and just got lucky with those 2 buds. Could be, and so the odds can be better with practice.

3) Two of the buds were on very old wood and additionally I think those two buds were not notched correctly at all. Both of which took the odds down.

4)The shoots emerging just there could be a total coincidence. But maybe not, for at least these 2 reasons: 1) The area (of the canes) had been resistant to shoots emerging and now there are shoots just at those two notched buds and 2) The buds emerged and grew almost exactly at the same time (see the growth on Aug 8th/9th after being cut on July 24th). Suggests those two shoots maybe temporally from the same physiological trigger and are on the same schedule.

5) I think the hormonal balance in the roses now is leaning toward shoot growth and not bud expansion. Doing this much earlier in the season, when the plant's balance is towards bud expansion, might give more positives even on older wood.

I find this is neat, specially if I can learn to get better odds. Who wouldn't want growth on bare areas?
Now Aug 31, the shoots are over 14 inches long, full of leaves, perfectly normal, not deformed at all if there was a concern that this process could create something funky.

Comments (43)