SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andreadittmer

BARE Entryway DILEMMA

Andrea
4 years ago

I am stumped what I should put above our entry bench. ANY ADVICE/IDEAS very much APPRECIATED. Ideas where to put some hooks or even coat rack? Thank you!

Comments (90)

• calidesign
    4 years ago

If you want to use a mirror above the pew, look for a large horizontal rectangular one, slightly smaller than the length of the pew.

• Andrea
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>So place a big piece of art above the pew? I love the gallery wall idea but I'm not good at knowing what color frames to buy, what to put them etc.....
    then how do I even begin with placing them up on the wall
  • Related Discussions

HELP! Entryway rug placement dilemma...

Q

Comments (14)
    Thanks everyone 😊 I really appreciate your feedback! I moved my current rug and added some photos. How’s this? (Please excuse my little photobomber 😂) I love Turkish/oushak style rugs like this one but I think I want to get a different one with different colors (not a fan of the orange in my current rug for some reason). That being said, how is the size of my current rug - should I look for longer or wider? Do y’all think it looks odd leading into living room since it doesn’t align with doorway/doorframe? Thanks!!
    ...See More

Bare Wall Dilemma

Q

Comments (1)
    I’d do a gallery wall with a mix of organic things including planters.
    ...See More

entryway dilemma

Q

Comments (23)
    You mentioned you will be buying new furniture, so that would be my first step, as it‘s a major decision affecting all other decisions. Given two major factors: front door location and staircase proximity, a good layout will be really important and if you would like advice, provide the layout/dimensions and even better, plans for room’s use, ie: tv viewing, amount of seating, etc. Then move to decisions on style/decor, staircase, accessories and color of door. Pour through lots of inspiration pictures for help before adding anything.
    ...See More

Entryway Dilemma

Q

Comments (9)
    I'd say 30&quot; diameter max, add a lamp. Looking in &quot;bistro&quot; category, will give you correct height. of 30&quot; https://www.westelm.com/products/round-faux-marble-restaurant-table-orbit-base-h7883/?cm_src=WsiPip1&amp;recstrat=View-View-1-CHLG%7CVCB-GRP-AFF-QNT-CHLG&amp;cm_sp=ossa_id_1_shown_6_v2 https://www.potterybarn.com/products/round-pedestal-dining-table/?catalogId=84&amp;sku=8106200&amp;cm_ven=PLA&amp;cm_cat=Google&amp;cm_pla=Furniture%20%3E%20Dining%20Tables&amp;region_id=813180&amp;cm_ite=8106200_12950060138&amp;gclid=Cj0KCQjw0bunBhD9ARIsAAZl0E069nANP2JE5FKnb68FF-QQHa-NVh49XM5AXqhRNL7zKQjv0UE7i2EaAqQGEALw_wcB https://www.potterybarn.com/products/round-pedestal-dining-table/?catalogId=84&amp;sku=3003904&amp;cm_ven=PLA&amp;cm_cat=Google&amp;cm_pla=Furniture%20%3E%20Dining%20Tables&amp;region_id=813180&amp;cm_ite=3003904_12950060138&amp;gclid=Cj0KCQjw0bunBhD9ARIsAAZl0E212LnKE1RIoeYQazbxdu1xrovtXZkNvT1fuqaZm0PCWl5URLT1hdQaAvaAEALw_wcB
    ...See More
  • Andrea
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have 2 same sized white windows 28 x 24, can I put those above pew? Right beside eachother?

• Karenmo
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

For gallery walls, here is how I do it. ( But if I didn't feel confident, I would invite my most artsy-craftsy friend over to help!) I gather up the things I might want to include and lay

everything out on the floor first. I have an idea of how big I want the collection to be when I put it on the wall and mentally put those boundaries on the floor, tho you could mark them with string or some strips of wood or something. Then I start laying out the pieces I want, usually beginning with a big-ish thing just below what would be the center. I work my way out from there, placing pieces around the big boy in harmonious relationships, keeping the spacing about the same between the various things. Once you have worked out the arrangement on the floor, then take a photo so you don't get off track later, and then start to hang the pieces. I typically start with that big-ish thing and then hang the others in relationship to that, just as I worked it out on the floor.

But as far as what to include....it doesn't have to be things in frames. The collection can be a mixture of textures and media -- a decorative ceramic plate, a metal tray, an old license plate, a small but flat-ish sculpture of some kind, a decoupage panel by your arty friend, a relatively flat basket, even a cool-looking metal tool....google and see what you see in gallery walls others have posted. If you or your family members don't have suitable stuff sitting around, a trip to a thrift shop, flea market, or the right estate sale would fix that!

For things in frames, I default to the plain black wood or metal ones from the craft stores when the thing doesn't already come with a workable frame.

It's ideal to include some personally meaningful things in this collection -- such as a sheet of music for a favorite tune or a black & white photo print of a favorite place (since black & white tends to "elevate" our travel snapshots!) or the menu from your favorite restaurant or even your printed wedding invitation (altho I probably limit myself to just one thing printed mainly with words).

I would include a couple of small mirrors to add some bling to the hallway. Maybe a small vintage one from an antique/thrift shop, if it's just the large ones their customers are snapping up. And then you can economically make a second one easily enough with materials from the craft store, ideally in a different shape from the antique one you buy. The craft stores sell small mirror pieces (many with beveled edges!) which you can glue on to a wooden plaques that you paint in a color harmonious with your decor. For example, this tile on this plaque:

https://www.michaels.com/beveled-square-mirror-by-artminds/10313223.html

https://www.michaels.com/square-mosaic-wood-plaque-artminds-/10111373.html

Then you asked about the map.....I would put it on the dining room wall with no furniture under it so people can easily walk up to it and point to things, to maximize its educational utility. While a vintage look can be restful, the best teaching tool would incorporate 21st century country boundaries (no USSR!) and go for the colors that seem pleasant in the space.

I would NOT put a gallery type collection on that long dining room wall since there is a TV in the corner which could make a gallery wall look cluttered. A big thing like the map would be simpler there.

• pat1250
    4 years ago

Following

• Andrea
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Karenmo!! So helpful!!

• riverscox25
    4 years ago

For now I would move the chair from under the window and put it next to the other chair with the wall lamp between them. A rug under your coffee table and your mirrors over the bench. At some point when you have more money to spend you can go with new smaller furniture.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Save the gallery wall of family pictures for a hallway, office, or bedroom. Use artwork or mirrors for your entry and dining room.

• Andrea
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Would this be ok above pew? Or would this be better in the dining room?
    After Christmas plan to change out the sign to something .....

• Karenmo
    4 years ago

Go for it! I am always impressed when people can get any Christmas decorations in place before Thanksgiving!

• Andrea
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Plan to leave the actual frame up, and take the "merry Christmas" down and switch out with something else. so it's heavy and will be a bit permanent once in place. Dining room or Above pew? here are the options again:

• Andrea
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is the other option above the pew, can leave them plain or use mirror spray paint.

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

Following

• calidesign
    4 years ago

The Merry Christmas sign is okay for the holidays above the pew since it is sized right, but the frame is very rustic and I'm not sure how you could use it the rest of the year. You could try the window frames horizontally, maybe with a colorful wallpaper type backing, but you already have window panes in your door nearby. I would use one large framed mirror in the dining room and one large, horizontal, colorful piece of art above the bench, to switch out with the sign after the holidays.

• Andrea
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well, this is eye awakening.....haven't analyzed my decor style before, but I think everything I have in the house is repetitive rustic, and whatever style is thrown in there...if I could make an emoji on here it would be a monkey with hands over face lol. The pics shown are prob huge no nos in design world. It seems like 1 long running never ending sentence. With no area ever feeling done :( As usual, all your advice/thoughts are appreciated :)

• margaret T
    4 years ago

In looking at your entry and the nice line through to the stair and the kitchen, another option is to move the bench from the right hand wall of the entryway and flip it to the left side of the entryway with a console table behind it. This would provide the visual barrier between the living space and the entryway and put a place for some tall lamps or a hanging fixture over the chair. Then the entryway blank wall can become gallery, maps, hooks, or a combination without competing with the bench. With small children, I would opt for a round coffee table in an indestructible top (stone, hammered copper) with a storage shelf below.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Your style looks casua/eclectic, but not all rustic. The bath is beautiful, and has lots of personality. Love the wood tray and tiles in the kitchen. Great playroom with the beams and natural light. It looks like most of your house is done! All you need is some art in the entry and dining room.

• doods
    4 years ago

I agree with cali, your home is beautiful, love your bathroom, once you get the entry done you can relax and enjoy your lovely home and family!

• Karenmo
    4 years ago

Your home is totally charming (and the children & pooch adorable) and it's clear that you have great instincts, so trust them! I'd recommend that you do a personal photo gallery wall in your bedroom/some private space (partly to get the hand of creating a gallery wall) and then maybe try it in the hallway, if you feel like it's right for you. Or you rework the Christmas frame for the meantime while you are waiting for the other things to come your way.....

I still want the kids to have that world map in the dining room. Maybe Santa will bring it!!

• amherstcottage
    4 years ago

The map in the photo is from IKEA. My friend has one up in her eating area, it's stunning!

• User
    4 years ago

Oh I think that wall is screaming for a treatment like this: link

• Andrea
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That's a very impressive wall leslieap10!!

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

I agree with leslieap10!

• Andrea
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I got rid of chairs, the couch is going next.
    Any more replacement rug and furniture suggestions?

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Choose your sofa first, and then the rug.

• dianabythelocks
    4 years ago

follow...

• Andrea
    Original Author
    4 years ago

sofa recommendations?

• Andrea
    Original Author
    4 years ago

what about a sectional in the space?

• Karenmo
    4 years ago

It's a small room, so I'd look at smaller sofas. If it isn't important for someone to be able to stretch out full length on the sofa, I'd probably look at the two seater types. After all, when visitors come, they usually avoid that center seat even if you have a three seater!

• calidesign
    4 years ago

You could use a sectional if it is a small one, with just a chaise end that runs on the short side under your window. Otherwise, stick with a sofa.

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

I would do a small frame 3 seat sofa and maybe a small footprint chair by the window. A small chaise sofa may work too (look at the Barrett Lounger at Crate and Barrel). You could get 2 small poufs that can fit on the lower shelf of the TV console- pull out for foot rests when watching TV. How many people typically sit in this space?

• Andrea
    Original Author
    4 years ago

lt varies from 5 people to 6 people on average that consistently are in the space at the same time.

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

Hmm, I can see comfortably seating 4 for a long period. 1-2 extra would be poufs or dining room style chairs (like what you have next to TV now). Otherwise I think a chair would encroach on the entry

• Andrea
    Original Author
    4 years ago

what do you think about a small sectional with bottom L part being next to the front door facing the window?

• Andrea
    Original Author
    4 years ago

then a small chair angled in front of window without curtains

• pat1250
    4 years ago

Just wanna say your daughter & doggie just brought a smile to my face. Do you have funds to build a knee wall at the front door to create a pseudo foyer? It would create a visual separation from entry to living space.

• Andrea
    Original Author
    4 years ago

we want to stain the oak floor the same gray color as the maple, so want to wait until we do that. The idea of a half wall has come up, but not sure if it would reduce the size of the room off more?

• LDJHouston
    4 years ago

I haven't read the whole thread, but returning to the bench/pew in the entry - try folding a

quilt over the back and add a seat cushion in a color from the quilt. It will add color to the room, and when you have a crowd it would be more comfortable for extra seating. A reversible quilt with a pattern you like on both sides will give you options to change it up , and if the cushion color is flexible enough, you could swap to a seasonal quilt like fall colors or Christmas. Or, it looks like you have some more traditional style quilts on a rack - put a favorite on display on the bench!

• ptreckel
    4 years ago

Consider placing photos and art and maybe even some pressed flowers behind the glass of the two window frames that you salvaged and hang them above the pew. You can vary what you place there by season. Just a thought. And it won’t cost you a cent!

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

A short L sectional will not really give you more seating, unless it has a back in which case a kid may take the corner.

• Andrea
    Original Author
    4 years ago

yes would definitely want a back on the bottom L part. then a table where the current ladder is?

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

Just make sure you measure everything 3x and even lay it out with blue tape (or on graph paper). I still think it needs to gr streamlined piece, whatever you get. I think the pony wall idea would give some separation. You could simulate with a narrow short bookcase. Would be good for shoe storage and a drop zone (like a sofa table but functional)

• Karenmo
    4 years ago

I didn't follow the comment about staining the floor -- the same gray color as the maple what??? (Must have missed something!!)) I think the living room floor looks really nice the way it is! Nicely complements the rush seated chair, fits well with the exposed stair treads, etc. It is classic as is. Light and happy! If you stain it gray it will be REALLY hard to change down the line when the obsession for decorating with gray wanes, which it will, just like the Tuscan colors that reigned for years became something everyone wanted to undo.....

• Andrea
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thank you for your comment about the living room floor. we will keep it as is if you think it's ok!

• calidesign
    4 years ago

The floors are beautiful and classic. No need to change that at all.

• Karenmo
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

One thing I would change (eventually) is the grommet drapes on the front window. Maybe after you settle the colors and other pieces in the room; take your time finding something that complements the rest of the space. While this grommet style of drapery has the advantage of moving easily on the rods (due to little friction with a metal grommet on a metal rod), which is a bonus if you are opening and closing them often, I am not so sure the mechanical metal look of them fits that well in a home like yours where the vibe is more organic, personal, homey, antique, handicraft, etc. Just my two cents worth!

• Andrea
    Original Author
    4 years ago

something like this?

• calidesign
    4 years ago

The woven wood shades could work, but you would need three for the larger window because they are heavy.

• Karenmo
    4 years ago

I'd wait to finalize the window stuff until you have all the other pieces in place the way you want them. And then if you do anything for the windows, it could be the icing on the cake, so to speak, if they will simply be decorative. If they will be both decorative and functional (such as you want privacy at the front window at night, so need something that can close), then you should still take you time figuring out what will work aesthetically with the rest of the room and still be convenient for opening and closing, provide the privacy you want, etc.