SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sooz381

Kitchen without a microwave; looking for placement ideas.

4 years ago

We have been looking to buy a home in our current area. However, the market is saturated with old properties, houses in undesirable locations or homes which require extensive work, both inside and out. Yesterday we saw what we thought was THE find. Newer construction, well finished and perfect location, only 2 minutes from our current residence. I spent the morning doing comps for our offer when I realized something: there is no microwave in the kitchen.

Now, the kitchen is already smaller than I would prefer, but it was a compromise I was willing to make considering the rest of the house and location. Worth mentioning that the kitchen is likely small as it was built to be a "desert vacation home" and not a permanent residence, but the lack of a built in microwave is making me reconsider the whole thing...

Excuse the poor quality of the images, they are screen caps from a video:

As you can see, over-the-range is not an option due to the kitchen layout. Counter space is limited, and I really don't like the idea of a countertop microwave. Cabinet space is also limited, which pretty much rules out installing a microwave drawer.

The door opens to a shelved pantry which I did not film, but at this point I think that is the best possible location for a microwave.

Does anyone have any other ideas or thoughts about this? Does anyone have a microwave in a pantry like that? Ease of install doesn't concern me as I'd have it done professionally.

Thank you!

Comments (24)