SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matthias_lang

Bought a birthday card for 100 y/o

matthias_lang
4 years ago

Today my mate and I bought a birthday card for a family friend who is 100 years old. She plans to come visit us by train from Mexico City to Missouri in October! I think she was around 85 when we met her. She is such a cool person. When she was young, she learned to fly-- uh, airplanes of course. Her father was an itinerant salesman traveling village to village with a cart, but successful enough that he was able to buy his daughters a bicycle, which first started her on the notion that someday she could fly, too. I connected with her over that because as a kid, I loved my bike and felt that riding the bike was the next best thing to flying. Anyway, her first boyfriend told her that she had to stop flying. She told him that she would fly, that he could not tell her what to do. They broke up over her standing up for herself.

She eventually married a man who was a US citizen, but raised her kids mostly with him absent. She opened a tiny stationery shop across the street from a school. She sold kids pencils, ink, pens, tablets, loose paper, little literature booklets, and other odds and ends. Children came to the shop after school every day and she sat them down and helped them with homework.

Her own two kids did very well in school, one of them going into business brokerage, the other going into ballet, dancing in London, Tokyo (I think), and Havana.

She always kept the stationery shop, but eventually leased it out over the decades for other purposes, and expanded the property from adjacent lots when she got the chance. Property acquired so long ago fetches a price nowadays in crowded Mexico City. Last visit here, we were in the car and she asked me to stop in at a Circle K convenience market, because she was negotiating with Circle K to lease her property, and she wanted to see what the stores were like. Here, Circle K is always associated with a gas station, but there, it was to be free-standing. I tell you this woman is so on the ball, and she is always figuring ways to help the family (her grandkids are grown now), and this lease was to be one of them.

To be honest, she told me when she was 94 that she was ready to die. Her health was pretty good, her sense of humor was great, her involvement in the world was exceptional, but she just felt like she had lived long enough. It wasn't morbid at all. But I'm tickled that she has made to 100 years old! I hope she doesn't mind the glitter on the card.

Comments (17)