SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
satine_gw

The best gift you have ever received

satine_gw
4 years ago

Guess Im feeling a little melancholy today but two things came to my mind. The first was a call from my Dad on my birthday 25 years ago. My mother had Alzheimer's at the time and was not in good shape. When I answered the phone my Dad handed the phone to my Mom and she sang Happy Birthday to me. I can still hear her voice (Im tearing up) and will til the day I die.

Next was about 8 years ago and my youngest daughter was living in a sober living house about an hour away from me. I went to take her out for the day and when I got there she handed me a little bag. Inside was a shortbread cookie that she had bought for me. It only cost a dollar (Panera) but she lived on so very little that it felt like a million dollar gift to me. Ok----more tears.

What unforgetable gifts have you received?

Comments (42)

• amylou321
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Sammy the pit bull.

Unconditional love in a cute little package.

Rest his furry little heart.

He was given to me by SO when we first started dating. My first pet ever. I miss him so....

satine_gw thanked amylou321
  • Related Discussions

What's the best gift you ever gave or got?

Q

Comments (9)
    When I was in graduate school I was literally living hand-to-mouth. At the library I discovered a great new poet I knew my father would love, but I couldn't afford the $20 for the book, even if I'd been able to order it somewhere. (This was computer/pre-internet days, at least for me.) So I painstakingly typed out the whole manuscript on my rinky-dinky work processor, printed it out and sewed it into folios, then bound it in a pasteboard cover with handmade paper. He still has it beside his bed, more than 15 years later! My best gift came from my younger sister, when I had my first post-college radio job, working over night at a station 20 miles away. She bought a large cosmetics bag, then bought a sheaf of inexpensive washclothes, little soap, a little bottle of moisturizer, a travel toothbrush and toothpaste. She also bought a case of ramen noodles and cup-o-soups. When I'd leave for work at 2am, I'd get a fresh washcloth and a noodle snack, and be able to have something to eat, and freshen up before the rest of the day staff arrived at 8. I used that little travelling case for nearly ten years!
    ...See More

What's the best advice you ever received?

Q

Comments (45)
    My dad told me the same as Joan's mother did... Fretting that I might make a fool of myself at my 1st dance, Dad said "most people are too busy worrying about what they look like to pay mind about you". And.. On my wedding day my father said "You're making a commitment for life, when times get tough I want you to remember that everybody has dirty laundry and the grass is hardly ever greener across the way".
    ...See More

Have you received any 'In the dog house' gifts from your husband?

Q

Comments (54)
    DH is the last minute shopper, and spends the season grumbling about the lost meaning of Christmas. So shopping is pitifully painful for him. He absolutely abhors it, and wants for nothing from anyone either. ( I know, Bah-Hum-bug) One year, he actually beamed as I was opening the 2 gifts he chose for me! I was so excited for his excitement for me, if that makes sense!!! All the family was gathered around because they all know that my poor DH just is NOT the shopping kinda guy. All eyes were on me as I opened the first gift. It was a seer-sucker bathrobe. That's not so bad, as we are in Florida and I run hot anyway, so don't need a warm, plush, heavy robe. But when I tried it on, something wasn't quite right. It took a few minutes for me to realize...this is a MAN's robe!!! No darts to accommodate the breasts, and no curve at the waist. The belt was hung at my butt-level!!! His response: "Well, the ladies robes were too cutesy-wootsie for you" (I beg your pardon?) Second gift, same Christmas! Perfume, all wrapped in the store paper.... Halston....."Por Homme" "I told them to wrap up the Halston...I thought it was for girls!" (Thanks, I was feeling pretty macho at this festive time of year.) Nevertheless, the greatest occurrence of that precise moment, was my dear brother, who howled with laughter at DH's foibles! We still look back and laugh at that one!!!! And understandably, after that catastrophic embarrassment, DH has reverted back to being bah-hum-bug...he just can't get it right! Poor thing! (I buy my own stuff and say Santa delivered it for me!)
    ...See More

Have you ever forgotten to give a gift?

Q

Comments (18)
    LOL! I forget something every year! This year, I bought DH a cotton throw when we went to VA for the funeral before Thanksgiving. We took the long way and stopped in PA at Horseshoe Curve. While he went up top to watch the trains, I stayed down and looked in the gift shop. I saw the throw hanging on the wall and asked the sales lady if she had something I could hide it in. She only had an office paper box. It worked and DH didn't even know it was in the trunk until the next day when he went to load the suitcases. I hid it when we got home, and remembered it yesterday! He likes it and was snuggled under it last evening. I "think" that's all I forgot this year, tho I have some things that I ordered, were supposed to be here before Christmas, that still haven't arrived. I keep getting a recording that all lines are busy due to heavy holiday volume. I finally got my internet back today, so emailed the company to cancell the order. I ordered the items the day before the cut off date for shipment in time for the holiday. Tami
    ...See More
  • mollycats
    4 years ago

A downy ball, years ago and my washer was in the basement and had no fabric softener dispenser and later on my Kindle.

• blfenton
    4 years ago

Can I say my two sons? Although I guess that's a little self-serving.

My dad phoning me and saying to me that he and my mom would protect me against my MIL and they acted as buffers to their own detriment whenever they could . She is an awful person.

satine_gw thanked blfenton
  • jkayd_il5
    4 years ago

Last year for Christmas my son asked me what I wanted and I told him a Willow Tree nativity set. I expected the a 5 or 6 inch three piece Joseph, Mary and baby Jesus. I received the eleven inch fifteen piece set. It had everything but an angel. That's my want this year. Best gift I even got.

• susie53_gw
    4 years ago

My iPad from my kids for Christmas some years back. My buggy, as I call it from my husband a couple years ago. Makes yard work so much easier..

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    4 years ago

The Go fund me account set up for me after the Harvey flood by Moni. And contributed to by so many wonderful people here, and friends. I am still absolutely amazed and so grateful. I was able to get my awesome go chair. It has been such a life saver! I thank you all!

• nicole___
    4 years ago

Most recently: Chuck. a fellow gardener I met on CL, gave me this wire cage/pillar for putting around a rose bush. He said he inherited the house form his parents. The rose pillar had been there as long as he could remember, unused. So nice! Then he helped us dig up 115 miniature iris. They had never bloomed, he said. They got "no" sun. He was giving these things a better home by giving them to me....he said. :0)

• kittywhiskers
    4 years ago

A small surprise birthday party given by my very good friend a couple of years ago.

• jtc
    4 years ago

The best gift I ever got was the gift of time. My husband was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and given 3 months to live. I was blessed to have 9 more years with the love of my life.

• User
    4 years ago

Besides my family? I think it would be ........... oh boy............ I can think of so many things: my first Kodak camera when I was 13 or 14. My first DSLR. My engagement ring. My wedding ring. The chain and pendant my husband game me. The chain and pendant my son gave me. My grandson. To be honest? Probably anything someone thought I might like/love. I cherish it all.

• terilyn
    4 years ago

A personally autographed book by one of my favorite authors. My niece met her and got this for me.

• roy4me
    4 years ago

I was really happy to receive a Swiss Army pocket knife and a compass for my birthday years ago.

• kathyg_in_mi
    4 years ago

When we were first together and had no money, my DH wrote me a check for a million dollars, signed by The Easter Bunny! So sweet.

• jemdandy
    4 years ago

When I was in the 5th grade, my parents gave me a Gilbert Erector Set. On rainy days, I hole up on the back porch constructing all manner of things. I played with it until I entered high school when other activities filled my life and in my spare time, I worked at paying jobs.

While in college, I was feeling a bit down and sorry for myself. I did not have enough money to pursue my studies to fulfill a degree requirement, and I began to doubt that I was on the right path. And then, I met one of the very best teachers of my life. He was a young man afflicted with MS. He was wheel chair bound, BUT, he taught a difficult subject, Thermodynamics, with a vengeance. He subdued its intricacies and sought feedback from his students to make sure they understood the material. Some days, he was in pain, but he pushed through making the studies the most important item. He taught us that time was valuable and that we had a limited supply- we should make the best use of it that we can. Some have more of it, some have less. That was not the point; The point was that it was finite therefore we should make good use of it. He taught that achievement came by applying yourself. He encouraged me to soldier on. He set an example. That was his gift to me (and others in the classroom).

• Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

The best gift...there've been so many.

But one stand out was when we were married only a few years, and in the middle of the night, I had a very frightening nightmare and woke my DH for comfort. After I was feeling better, I apologized for disturbing his sleep and said I hoped he wasn't upset. He replied, "How could I ever be upset when it's you who's waking me up." Those were the sweetest words ever.

• eld6161
    4 years ago

The best gifts truly are the kind gestures, thoughts and favors. When someone sees you struggling and steps up and helps without being asked.

I have a small copper horse paperweight sitting on my desk right now given to me by my dad over 50 years ago. It has always been in a prominent place.

My parents also once gave me a small straw suitcase which held a small bottle of Champagne and caviar for when I became engaged. I still have that little suitcase. It was such a touching gift for me because my parents were not "Champagne" people so for them to want me to have something like this had so much for meaning for me.

My diamond wedding band. When DH asked me to marry him, I decided not to have an engagement ring. (Long story) . For the first five years I wore my gold band. One day DH surprised me with an eternity diamond wedding band. There is a funny story attached to the sizing of the ring but I'll save that for another time.

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

I have received a lot of touching gifts and I’m sure I can’t recall all of them. But a couple of Christmases ago after I retired, I mentioned something to DH that I used to enjoy big puzzles. I had admired a 1000 piece puzzle in a gift shop somewhere. He surprised me with one. I immediately started working on it and it really made him happy to see me enjoy it.

• sjerin
    4 years ago

Satine, is it your birthday today? I'm sorry you're feeling a little sad today. I can hardly wait until my work starts as I'm still missing my sister (and mom) quite a bit.

My best childhood gift was a guitar I thought my parents couldn't afford. It was used, but I know my mom looked hard for one they could manage. I was gobsmacked.

• satine_gw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sjerin, no it is not my birthday and I don't know why Im feeling the way I am. It is ok, though, because through the tears I can smile at the memories. I guess at my age you begin to look back more than you look ahead.

• nycefarm
    4 years ago

The gift of land from my grandfather's farm, upon which I built my house!

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

" The best gifts truly are the kind gestures, thoughts and favors. "

+1

For me, tangible gifts and efforts aren't meaningful at all, they're too often facile efforts at best.

• yeonassky
    4 years ago

Tangible: My emerald earrings. Intangible: My sisters back in my life!

• sheilajoyce_gw
    4 years ago

My younger son was born on Mother's Day, and my oldest grandson was born on Christmas Day. I still remember my birthday when Dad came home with a bike for me in the back seat of the car. As he drove up the driveway, I spied it and let out such a scream that Mother came running thinking I had been hurt horribly somehow.

• lindaohnowga
    4 years ago

To me, my greatest gift is God's only son to be my savior and next the gift is my husband whom He chose for me. Friends and furkids are also wonderful gifts.

• jkayd_il5
    4 years ago

Lindaohnowga, you are right. Shame on me for not saying that.

• dedtired
    4 years ago

Tangible item: Rosie, my bride doll that I got when I was a child. I still have her. So many childhood gifts were just magical to me at the time. I don’t think anything I received as an adult brought me the same joy. I do like my diamond earrings a lot, though!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    4 years ago

Long ago, when my husband had walked out on myself and our 2 year old child (yes, Moni, that was a gift too! I finally realized), I was devastated. I lived far from my family, and because of the unpaid bills he also walked out on, didn't have money to travel home for Christmas.

One of my co-workers invited my daughter and I to share the day and dinner with her family, at her parents' home. That was special all by itself, but then, after dinner, she brought out a beautiful, large handpainted basket that more coworkers had filled with little luxury items -- a thick towel, scented soap, a pretty vase, and so forth -- along with a card filled with messages of kindness and support.

I still have the basket -- 33 years later. Thinking of this kind gesture still brings tears to my eyes.

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

A couple of years ago, my hubby gifted me with a stand and flex shaft for the dremel I use in my jewelry making. It may not sound like much, but it meant a lot to me because it told me that he "gets it" about how important this creative outlet is to me.

edit to fix awkward wording

• wildchild2x2
    4 years ago

I have several "best gifts". But the very best was both tangible and life changing. A few years ago I went deaf and had to give up a lot of my activities I enjoyed. I mentioned to DH that I had never been horseback riding. My grandparents had horses but by the time late born me was old enough they had been moved.

That Xmas DH gave me a groupon for 4 lessons or trail rides. I went with a bit of fear, zero horse experience,fear of heights etc. and found I was in love. Shortly after there was drama at the ranch, most employees I knew quit and I was without a place to ride.

Too shorten what could be a long story a series of really bad vertigo attacks hit me hard and I was unable to continue riding at all. for a little over a year.

Meanwhile I kept looking for someone willing to teach (really teach) an deafened old senior citizen. I found her online when I learned about centered riding. She is another gift.

I decided to pop in at that ranch unannounced. Was warmly welcomed and here I am today.

In the last year and a half I have gone from barely being able to mount correctly to catching, grooming, tacking ,caring for and working on the ground with horses besides riding them both in and out of the arena. I get to ride great horses and I hope some endurance riding is in my future. I am both mentally stronger and physically fitter at 68 years old than I have been in years. Who would of thunk a Groupon from DH could be so life changing.

A couple weeks ago I decided to take a western riding series at another ranch for more saddle time. The guy who teaches it when he met me said you look like an excited twelve year old. I replied, I am. Underneath this veneer of maturity that is exactly who I am.

• Lukki Irish
    4 years ago

My mother who loved to sew, had horrible RA in her hands. One of the last sewing projects she was able to make was a birthday present for me. A purse sized bag to carry my yarn projects in when we travel. Inside was a set of my Grandmothers knitting needles and rug hook. I know she knew I’d love it, but I don’t think she realized just how much it meant to me.

• satine_gw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed learning what means so much to all of you.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

What a lovely thread. My greatest gift has been my family and the values and faith they taught me. For material gifts, it's hard to say. Pearls handed down from my great grandmother maybe.

• lgmd_gaz
    4 years ago

On Mother's Day about 20 years ago I received a gift card from Daughter that promised me an outing of lunch out and anyplace I want to go at least once each and every month till the end of time. It would be just her and I for one and one time. It is my favorite day of every month!

• nickel_kg
    4 years ago

I think I've mentioned before how surprised and delighted I was when DH gave me a Kitchen Aid stand mixer a few years into our marriage! It meant he really paid attention to me, valued what I valued, and my happiness was worth the expense -- not inconsiderable to our budget at that stage in life (I would not have spent that much on something just for myself back then). It's served us very well and will always have pride of place on my kitchen counter. He did good!

• tackykat
    4 years ago

My dad's birthday was in January, and he died suddenly in August 2008. That Christmas, I was still grieving, and my husband gave me a necklace with a simple garnet, which is the January birthstone. I cried so hard and still get tears in my eyes sometimes when I wear it.

• Anne
    4 years ago

ravencajun, i contributed directly to you when that first storm occurred and was so glad to do so...you were so appreciative and I knew it would go to good use...I felt so good about where my donation was going and sometimes I worry about my donations and how they are used.....I felt so good knowing it was going to a "friend". I was heartbroken that you went thru it again!

I have had some pretty heartfelt gifts over my lifetime....many quite pricey but the ones I remember had a lot of thought. My ex somehow found a photo of my family in the 1800's at an antique store and framed it, my niece gave me a beautiful collage of a family trip that was incredibly special. My DH does very sweet little things like a plant from the farmstand or some wine and cheese and a movie....

My biggest gift was my father who raised me and my siblings on his own. I didn't have a clue how challenging that was until I was raising my own children.

Also several pieces of art deco costume jewelry from 2 of my aunts....I get so many compliments and I love being able to say they are from 2 women I loved so much.

And materially....I swear I will never squeal louder than the year I got a Snoopy SnoCone Maker from Santa!

• User
    4 years ago

Linda, Amen!!! As I read this I wondered if anyone else had put that the gift of salvation as the greatest gift. I was blessed to receive it over twenty years ago.

• Cherryfizz
    4 years ago

I have experienced so many kind gestures over the years and they all equally made my heart swell with love. I have been blessed with a wonderful family, friends and neighbours and people I have never met in person. Neighbours Ken and Freda for one. After my Mom was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer which caused her to have diabetes I had to learn to give my Mom insulin shots. After my Mom came home from the hospital and I had to give her the first insulin shot I couldn't do it. I called Freda and she came right over and did it for me. All the kind cards and gifts from people here at the KT isent to my Mom in her last few weeks to help brighten her days meant the world to me. She held onto the doll, she loved the cards, was warmed by the colourful lap quilt that she stroked to name a few. After my Mom died, Ken came in with his crew and painted and plastered the walls in my house and Freda decorated my bedroom with reversable handmade bedding and table cloths from material based on Monet's water lily and garden paintings. They also gave me the emotional support I needed.

My younger brother has surprised me over the years with wonderful gifts chosen because he knew how much I would love them. When I was a young teenager he gave me a set of the Tolkien Trilogy Lord of the Ring and Hobbit books because he knew how much I loved to read. (I still have the boxed set). Another time he asked me to go for a ride with him because he had to pick something up. We stopped at this window place and he came out with something in a big box that he put on the car seat next to me. Driving home something in the box started making a noise and when I looked inside it was a tiny purebred black lab puppy and Paul said he was my birthday present. Amos was the best gift ever! One Christmas season I came home to find a huge wrapped box under my Christmas tree. I pushed it with my toe and it was really heavy. I thought maybe my brother brought the gift over for his girls and left it so they wouldn't see it. I even remember coming to the KT and telling the size of the box, and how heavy it was and they guessed what was inside before I even knew the gift was for me. The gift sat there for a few days before my brother asked me if I peeked at "it" I asked him what "it" was and he said the present. I said of course not, I didn't know who it was for. He then told me it was an early gift for me. I came home and opened it and it was a Kitchen Aid mixer. Again another gift from him that knocked me over. haha he said because I was the family cookie baker he thought it would help me out. He also surprised me over the years by leaving filled Christmas stockings left hanging on the front porch or sneaking inside and hanging them on the fireplace for my sister and I

Other kind gesture after my Mom passed away was the gift of a kitchen and bath remodel. My out of town cousin called me and said she wanted to give me something for all the years I took care of my Mom and even though I told her it wasn't necessary she wanted to do something. Anything I wanted. I told her the only thing I would want was to have the outside kitchen wall replastered because of water damage under the window. She told me to find a contractor (neighbour Ken) and have him call her. Next thing I know I was getting new cupboards and countertops, flooring, and also a bathroom remodel with a new floor and walls replaced around the tub so a shower could be put in. I couldn't let her do everything so I bought the fixtures, toilet, vanity and sink in the bathroom and I already had my kitchen appliances.

And if the gift of a kitchen remodel blew me away what came next was even more surprising and so kind. The members of the KT held a kitchen shower for me. haha what a shock it was when Dances and Ed (Joyfulguy) showed up at my house bearing all kinds of kitchen gifts and cards from Kters. Everytime I use one of the items and I still have them all I think of is who sent it. Kters were so kind and generous.

The best gifts are being asked to share special moments with friends and family.

satine_gw thanked Cherryfizz
  • seniorgal
    4 years ago

When I was a young teacher during the depression I provided gifts for all of my students. Then I shopped for my younger sister and my brothers. My parents provided Santa presents for the youngsters but I was considered an adult, so no gift. My sister, who was 9 or 10, used her small savings to buy gifts. The Christmas wrapped 5-cent candy bar she gave me meant so much to me!! It was the only gift I received!!

satine_gw thanked seniorgal
  • desertsteph
    4 years ago

Linda, Amen!!! As I read this I wondered if anyone else had put that the gift of salvation as the greatest gift. I was blessed to receive it over twenty years ago.

It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title. A gift I didn't even realize existed I was given by God back in 1978. After that would be my kids and gkids, also gifts from God. Then all of the wonderful furry treasures I've had the pleasure to care for and love over the years. I've been so blest with all of the wonderful ones I've had - even the silly little squirt I have now, she so makes me laugh!

Susie - I wouldn't mind a buggy like that myself for out here on my desert land! that'd sure make getting around on it a lot easier these days.

eld - don't forget to tell us the story of the ring another time.

• desertsteph
    4 years ago

And if the gift of a kitchen remodel blew me away what came next was even more surprising and so kind. The members of the KT held a kitchen shower for me. haha what a shock it was when Dances and Ed (Joyfulguy) showed up at my house bearing all kinds of kitchen gifts and cards from Kters. Everytime I use one of the items and I still have them all I think of is who sent it. Kters were so kind and generous.

The best gifts are being asked to share special moments with friends and family.

those are such special gifts - given from the heart.