Anyone else notice the obnoxious way Houzz is overwriting GardenWeb?

rob333 (zone 7a)

When they had the changeover, I kept using GardenWeb URL stuff and I've had less trouble. Specifically, the way it overwrites in a post if you edit it in anyway. The last two days, even when I enter using GardenWeb, Houzz obnoxiously changes it to Houzz in my address bar. If they made the website work correctly, I wouldn't mind, but as it stands, I hate this new thing. UGH!!!!!

SaveComment65Like2
Comments (65)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
salonva

yupz.

Save    
Michael

Use a bookmark.

Save    
Uptown Gal

My problem today...having to log in 4 or 5 times before Houzz says, "oh yeah,

we know you". LOL Gave up earlier and just tried again to see.

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Michael, the only thing working is if I click the back arrow and rechoose the last time it was GardenWeb. If you reload the page or click on the Kitchen Table oval, for instance, switches it to Houzz.

Save    
Jasdip

I haven't noticed anything like that. I have my forums as bookmarks, KT, Cooking etc, along the top along with my other regular sites I visit.

I'm looking at the address bar and it's gardenweb dot com/discussions. Normal.

1 Like Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I have not seen any changes. I always use my bookmarks and they all still say gardenweb.com. Nothing changes to houzz. But I am using an android phone or tablet or chromebook. Chrome browser on all.

1 Like Save    
norar_il

I use my Garden Web bookmark as well and the address shows houzz, Rob. I never noticed it until I read your thread. And when I sign on, I don't get the listing of all the forums, but a hodgepodge of threads, mostly from forums I never go to.

1 Like Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

For those who have it bookmarked, if you click on the grey forum oval at the top of the page, does it change for you?

Save    
Jasdip

I don't see a grey forum oval at the top of the page at all Rob. I use my laptop solely, for my internet usage. Oh, do you mean the horizontal oval that says Kitchen Table? I just clicked on it, and it changed the way the page is loaded. Each topic, with no discussions, just the title, similar to the choice of the bars that choose the View we want.

So the grey oval that says Kitchen Table changes the layout.

Save    
nicole___

No changes...it stays gardenweb.com. I'm also using chrome & a laptop.

No complaints here......and....I like Houzz! Still using the water bottle & tape measure....chillin'......

Save    
maifleur01

I never sign out so I do not have the problem and just use a bookmark. If I did purchase something on here I might sign in and out but that would be the only reason. Only time I have had to sign in was when there was a massive upgrade of the browser I used and I lost all of the sign in's.

1 Like Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Wouldn't mind Houzz if there were no issue with editing, photo posting, etc.

:)

Save    
murraysmom Zone 6a OH

Now that you mention it, I use a bookmark Gardenweb to come in. I just looked up and mine says houzz.com now. It didn't use to do that. And all your posts are normal size but as I am typing, it's in a miniature size. So annoying.

1 Like Save    
yeonassky

Yes it happened to me. I pressed on my old link on my cell phone's page and it shunted me to --houzz-- my topics.

Before I tried to change anything I would just choose out of my topics list posts one that said kitchen table on it.

After a very short time I grew to intensely dislike the -houzz- banner. So went to Google. I said into Google because I use talk to text; kitchen table gardenweb forums. It took me here and I used that to create a new link and erased the one that had been completely overwritten by --houzz-- wisdom. I doubt that's the end of it but I'm hoping that's a solution I can go to every time.

So far I have had no trouble with font size. No doubt that's going to happen as well. :-( :-( :-(

Save    
Chessie

rob333 (zone 7a)

For those who have it bookmarked, if you click on the grey forum oval at the top of the page, does it change for you?

Yes - that link actually is a HOUZZ link - so stop using it. If you want to stay in Gardenweb, then just go to https://www.gardenweb.com/ - bookmark THAT, and edit YOUR TOPICS on the left and just use those links to go from board to board, and use the BACK button to get back there from a thread. ( I don't use the app - just the full site - the app sucks. )

It's pretty simple.

Save    
blfenton

murraysmom - I had the same problem as you with respect to font size last week here and someone kindly told me how to fix it. If you mention your browser someone might be able to help you.

All I know is, I need a new computer and I'm afraid to buy one because I may not be able to transfer my GW bookmarks over. Others have mentioned a problem when doing that.

1 Like Save    
patriceny

I have the exact same problem as Rob. I log in through GW, but then as I click around through the forums at some point I get forced into a HOAZZ link. The font changes, the way the forums work change - so I have to go back to the GW bookmark and start the process all over again. Sometimes every click of the mouse automatically pulls me out of GW.

Chessie - I use the back button. Doesn't always work.

Save    
Chessie

blfenton - It's is easy to export and import your bookmarks. You can google the steps - here is one.

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/how-to-export-chrome-bookmarks/

1 Like Save    
Chessie

"Sometimes every click of the mouse automatically pulls me out of GW."

That's because you are clicking on a HOUZZ link. Look at the bottom left of your screen when you hover over a link. That will tell you where you are going.

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

Sometimes the problem with font size is not the adjustment that can be made to view things larger or smaller. Yesterday I copied and pasted a statement. When I went to add a comment to the rest of the post it was in a smaller size font. I had three different font sizes in the same comment. I went ahead and submitted and when I refreshed the page it all was in the same size font. This has been happening off and on for several months.

1 Like Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

chessie, I've been using that oval the entire time, and until yesterday, it stayed GardenWeb???

1 Like Save    
patriceny

I know Rob. Me too.

I'm also not getting notifications of new comments on a consistent basis.

Lots of random little glitches going on. All are new within the last week or so.

Save    
Jasdip

What's the purpose of using the gray oval button? Once you're in the Kitchen table, you can do everything by clicking, using the Home and End buttons to get to the top or bottom of the page, the back button. I'm completely confused what the purpose of clicking the gray button is. I've never even noticed it until this thread.

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

Except I have no Home or End button. I think it depends on what you are using and perhaps your browser. I am on a laptop.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

What kind of laptop has no Home, End or Page Up/Down buttons? To my understanding these are standard functions for any laptop or PC keyboard. They may not be labeled specifically as indicated but I'd bet money they are there in function.

1 Like Save    
Hanna

There are a lot of screwed up things going on. I had the hardest time finding the cooking forum. It isn't visible in the master list.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/explore-topics#All-Topics

Save    
Andie

Had the same log in problem as Uptown Gal today. Supposedly a "fix" was to be in the works yesterday. I think they need to fix the fix.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

maifleur, I do all of my browsing on a laptop. You absolutely have an End and Home button. Mine are along the top above the numbers, and also as part of the number pad. To me, those buttons are invaluable........they instantly take you to the top or bottom of any website.

Save    
blfenton

Uh, well mine are along the far right hand column of my keyboard. Never knew they were there, never paid any attention and never used/use them.

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

I don't often click the button, but if I want to go back out to the forum, but not necessarily where I was, I do click on the forum button to end up at at the top of the page. My home and end buttons put me at the top and bottom of a page, but not a website. Sounds cool.

Save    
Michael

My bookmark looks like this in URL.

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/kitchentable

1 Like Save    
arkansas girl

None of my bookmarks are working as of yesterday. I've had to find this forum in some roundabout way.

Thanks Micheal, I went into my bookmarks and changed the addresses to be like what you posted that they are supposed to be. I have no idea what's going on with this but I've been using those bookmarks for years and years.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

You can try going to Google and search for gardenweb forums. Then select that home site and it takes you to the forums list. They have the gardenweb url.

Save    
Chessie

"rob333 (zone 7a)

chessie, I've been using that oval the entire time, and until yesterday, it stayed GardenWeb???"

I can't answer that - my guess is that the link was just changed to a HOUZZ url. If you use the oval gray buttons outside of a thread, like, on the page here...

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/kitchbath

...those all point to gardenweb urls.

Save    
Chessie

"maifleur01

Except I have no Home or End button. I think it depends on what you are using and perhaps your browser. I am on a laptop."

Look at your top row of keys. Honestly I cannot imagine that you don't have these.

Save    
Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)

Maybe nobody is interested but...

If you use Greasemonkey or similar, here is a quickly thrown together but seems-to-work script that finds all occurrences of houzz(.)com and replaces them with gardenweb(.)com.

It's code but it's readable enough to get a general idea without being a coder.

In action:

Notice how the hard coded houzz(.)com link is changed to gardenweb(.)com in the status line.

Without the script, the link takes you to houzz(.)com, as Chessie points out.

With the script, you stay on the gardenweb(.)com domain.

Disclaimer: I haven't used it enough to be certain there aren't unintended consequences. (Broken links, inability to navigate to a houzz url you really want to go to such as some of the links on the bottom of the page that I never use, etc.)

But I already use Greasemonkey. I can disable a script much much faster than I can write it... or debug it. :)

Ideally of course, I'd prefer they change it back but in the meantime, this works for me.

1 Like Save    
Chessie

Richard (Vero Beach, Florida), I kinda doubt that many users here (if any) know anything about running a script in the browser. But very cool that you did that. Kudos!

1 Like Save    
murraysmom Zone 6a OH

I have a Mac and I do not have Page Up/Down, Home or End keys. This morning my url said houzz but right now it's back to gardenweb. I never log out.

Edited to say that now houzz.com is back. And the print is tiny and the pictures are tiny as well. I'm curious as to how long I can put up with this.

Save    
Chessie

"murraysmom Zone 6a OH

I have a Mac and I do not have Page Up/Down, Home or End keys."

Here you go. User your function (fn) key...

• Page Up is fn-Up Arrow
  • Page Down is fn-Down Arrow
  • Home is fn-Left Arrow
  • End is fn-Right Arrow
Save    
watchmelol

House owns this site. It belongs to them. They get to set the system to work as they want it.

They can make any changes they want including eliminating the forums entirely.

It is not that difficult to save the url as a bookmark or or tab.

You can rename it whatever you wish on your device. You could name it Monkeyworks and when you are on this page it is still titled The Kitchen Table.

2 Likes Save    
pb32

That was ever so helpful watchmelol. I think most of us are pretty clear who owns the site. However we get to have opinions about how it functions, and some people like to come together on forums to discuss various things.

I've learned some helpful tips from other people, and appreciate those who have shared ideas. The snark is much less helpful.

2 Likes Save    
watchmelol

It's not snark. It's fact. It's a common sense solution.

Asking Houzz for help or making suggestions is fine. But any other business would give one the boot if people went and told them how they should do things or complained over and over how they didn't like how they were running things. It's like wanting to have a meeting in a certain restaurant and then complaining to management how you don't like their food.

Snark: That was ever so helpful watchmelol

Snarky response: Looks like an eye-d-10t error.

Save    
Chi

I hate it. When it says Houzz instead of gardenweb, most of my replies in my phone get deleted when I type. Same issues from years ago that they never fixed.

Save    
Michael

I'm really liking the "Click to switch off notifications about new comments"

Save    
Chessie

I never use my phone - at least not the app. It's never worked right. I ONLY use the full desktop site.

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

They can make any changes they want including eliminating the forums entirely.

That's an interesting statement. What forums would they want to eliminate entirely?

You are correct, of course, they can do what they want. But I thought businesses were in the business of attracting customers, not running them off. Can't make money from defunct websites.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I never use the app. I tried it a few times and deleted it. Terrible. I use Chrome browser on my phone, tablet and chromebook.

Houzz is in business to sell! They make money by selling products. Doubt they make much money from the gardenweb forums. I am surprised they have kept them alive this long. They certainly didn't have to when they bought gardenweb. I am just glad they have supported them thus far and hope they continue to.

4 Likes Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Why kill the website with so many users and that attract so many views? I can't see them throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Why would they have purchased it, after all?

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

"I am surprised they have kept them alive this long. They certainly didn't have to when they bought gardenweb."

What would have been the point of purchasing GardenWeb in the first place if they didn't want the forums and the readership that goes along with them? That purchase wasn't cheap.........

If you read their mission statement and bit of the history, selling is NOT the primary motivating factor behind the website, although no doubt a lucrative side effect. It was intended to be a clearinghouse for the free exchange of ideas, information and advice regarding remodelling, design and home improvement. They obviously thought GardenWeb was a good adjunct to that.

Save    
Chi

This is driving me nuts. Any thread with "Houzz" in the URL can't be replied to on my phone. Every word I type gets deleted. I put in a ticket but I imagine it will be ignored like it was YEARS ago when I took a video of the problem.

I can reply to this one cause the URL still days "gardenweb" for me.

I'm shocked this isn't a priority for them. Being able to use a website with a phone these days is pretty crucial.

Save    
Save    
Emily H

@chi If I recall correctly, there was an issue initially with some android browsers where words were getting deleted when people attempted to comment. Is that what is happening to you now? Are you on an Android browser? If so, that may help narrow down the issue.

Save    
Chi

Hi Emily, I am using Chrome on my Android. And yes, that's what is happening. Every word I type gets deleted. I can only reply on this one because I changed the url to gardenweb instead of Houzz.

Save    
Lori Wagerman_Walker

I'm so confuddled... I thought it all changed over a long time ago?!!! No wonder I've been missing out. I loved Gardenweb so much better.

Save    
breenthumb

The search feature for individual forums is GONE! It goes to the topic in a hodgepodge of different forums. Have to read through them all to see if the answer that would have ideally been posted and answered by someone in plumbing or electronics is what you need. Useless now.

Deep cat scratch search that I would have liked in pets or kitchen table returned posts about removing and preventing scratches from almost all forums.

1 Like Save    
Andie

Breen, I wrote "deep cat scratch" on the Pets forum and got what appear to be pertinent results.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/pets/query/deep-cat-scratch/nqrw

Save    
Jasdip

I cleaned my cache etc this morning and now my pages are Houzz. I had the dickens of a time trying to find the categories. I wanted to see what Hot Topics was doing, and when I clicked on Gardening, it doesn't give all the categories, as we know HT is listed below Hot Peppers. It took me right into Gardening discussions which I don't want.

So now I manually change the houzz url to Gardenweb discussions OR click on my personal topics on the left. They are still Gardenweb.

And, when it's Houzz, all of my discussion categories (KT, Cooking, etc) are all shown. I don't like that. I like browsing around Cooking or KT, I don't want all the discussions showing on the same page.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

You can still search individual forums....you just need to have the specific forum page open. It will be at the top of the searchable topics.

Save    
breenthumb

Andie, thank you. Guess I should have worked in that scratch was on me, not furniture. How did you get search to stay in pets forum?

Save    
Andie

It was the first choice on the drop down menu after I keyed in the words.

Save    
Jasdip

Gardengal, I just tried a search here, in the KT. KT isn't mentioned. The options are Advice and others, but not in this forum specifically.

Something that I also noticed today is, when I click on the latest post in a topic, (on the right it will say 6 minutes ago, etc, with the avatar of who made the post). It doesn't take me to that post. It's always at the top of the thread, and I have to scroll or jump to the end.

Save    
breenthumb

Andie & Houzz, That's exactly my problem. That first choice hasn't been there for days. Mine goes directly to Advice, then all the others. Mine has always been just like that but not anymore. I'll restart my computer. Maybe that will help. :-)

Save    
Andie

Jasdip and Breen, are you using a computer or phone? I'm on a computer. Just did a KT search and it worked again.

ETA: Breen, sorry, I see you said computer. I don't know what to tell you. I can imagine how frustrating it is.

Save    
breenthumb

YES! It's working! I did restart and don't know if that did it but it works again and I'm happy. Thanks for the help.

Save    
Andie

I think I might know what's going on. I just opened Hot Topics and instead of it saying Hot Topics it says Home & Garden Discussions and won't allow me to search Hot Topics. Something to keep in mind if you run into this again.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Painting Houzz Quiz: What Color Should You Paint Your House?
Is white right? Maybe dark blue-gray? Take our quiz to find out which color is best for you and your home
Full Story
The Unofficial Houzz Academy Awards for Movie Homes
Grab a front-row seat as we hand out honors to superb homes featured in 10 flicks. The envelope, please ...
Full Story
Homes Around the World Houzz Tour: A London Townhouse Lightens Up
A dramatic redesign of this multistory home transforms its dark 1970s-era interior into an all-white Scandinavian idyll
Full Story