Do you like Ikea?

Kathsgrdn

I went for the first time yesterday. They have some neat items, like biodegradble food storage bags. I also picked up a nice little knife. I may go back when I finally buy a dresser, but will look around first. Oh and I love a certain chair they have. Don't particularly like the modern style of it but they are super comfortable. I can't remember the name but they are wood frame with a cushion and they rock slightly when you sit in them. So comfy! I think I will definatly go back for one of those chairs. Most of their furniture is too plastic looking for me. I also didn't like the random, confusing layout of the store. What do you think of Ikea?

SaveComment25Like2
Comments (25)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lucille

I think you are referring to the Poang. I LOVE Ikea but also like traditional and antique furniture. BTW there are entire cottage industries that have sprung up making slipcovers for Ikea furniture, Poangs and Ektorps and so on.

Save     Thanked by Kathsgrdn
maifleur01

A couple of weeks ago there was a long thread about IKEA. What people liked and what they did not like. While you were there did you look at the food in the cafeteria? The chocolate cake with coffee is my favorite.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I do like Ikea, very much. The company charted its own course to provide adequate (not great, not poor) quality goods with a Scandinavian sensibility, for modest prices that provide very good value. What they sell is often unique, often thoughtful, always well priced. It's why it's a global phenomenon and a popular place.

1 Like Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Love Ikea. Love their food. The fish, and cinnamon buns are particularly good. The frozen cinnamon buns with pearl sugar are TDF, plus they are small. Try the Elderflower syrup with some seltzer for a very refreshing summer drink. Great curtains, the Hemmes line is lovely and suits my style perfectly. I could go on and on.

Save    
bbstx

Fish and cinnamon? What an odd flavor combo! Is it a Scandinavian thing?

Save    
sushipup1

(don't think the fish goes with the buns....)

Save    
bbstx

Save    
kathyg_in_mi

DS has the Poang chair. I really like it, would buy one if it was just a few inches higher. Hard for me to get out of.

Save    
Kathsgrdn

We ate lunch at Chuays before going. Wish we had eaten at Ikea instead. I'll search for that other post.

1 Like Save    
Save    
morz8

Gosh, I hope the fish doesn't go with the buns - sounds a little gaggy.

I do like Ikea but it takes the better part of a day to see what's there ;0) I've purchased a few things - my butchers block cart for my Kitchen Aid mixer is something I've had for years. Great quality, it even has brakes. Right now, I'm close to being ready for new guest room furniture and wondering if Ikea things would look too modern in this house.

Sadly, getting there takes some effort, the nearest Ikea is 2 hours away so I shop there only very occasionally.

I did strike out at the store in Portland one year. My kitchen at that time had a little built in table for two and I needed new chairs for it. My BIL is 6'8" and as a guess, maybe 250#s and he would often stop in after leaving the office, sit and visit while I was making dinner. I could not find chairs I felt were sturdy enough for big men, and had to go to an actual furniture store for something stronger, pay more.

1 Like Save    
Debby

I have a love/hate relationship with the store. There are times I'll go there for something specific, but living room furniture wise: nope. No way. Not strong enough. My kids all had Ikea beds growing up and they lasted until they left home. We still have my daughters double size bed in our guest room. My office chair is from Ikea. And some of my living room stuff is from there (buffet, coffee table, tv stand and dvd stand: all from the same line). But I would never buy a couch from them.

Save    
colleenoz

We have two IKEA couches which we bought about ten years ago or so. They’re still in perfect nick structurally, but the cats have shredded the cover on one somewhat. But it’s easy enough to put a new slipcover on as IKEA sells those too.

Save    
maifleur01

The IKEA I go to has pickled fish/herring in three different liquids. There is one that has cinnamon in it. I have tried it twice and found the cinnamon overpowered the fish and other pickling ingredients. They used to have one in sour cream or perhaps just labeled cream that I thought was very good. The other one the pickle was much too sharp for my tastes. They used to have several types of cured salmon which were nice. Last time I was there they only had one type and it was not as firm and as flavorful as previous. Tastebuds change and it may just be me.

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

What a difference a comma makes! And to think I've been a copy editor. Yikes. Fish and cinnamon indeed! Apologies for the lack of clarity.

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

So Zalco you have not tried the pickled fish with cinnamon? The name is Sil Matjes.

Save    
Lars

Las month (July) I found a bathroom wall-mounted vanity for $670 (solid wood, high gloss gray finish) that I was going to use for my brother's bathroom. It was the perfect size and had a sink in the middle with counterspace on either side. I checked inventory at my local store (Carson, CA), and it said that they had 10 in stock, and so I decided that I could wait until we got back from our vacation to Michigan and Philadelphia to order it. Big mistake. On August 1, they introduce new lines and many old ones are eliminated. So I called their number to try to find out if they still had this vanity in inventory. I don't know where the person I reached was, but I believe it was somewhere on the East Coast. He told me that he had no idea whether the Carson store had this in inventory and also that it was impossible to call the Carson store directly. How's that for customer service?? Evidently they have none, and he told me I would have to go to the store and that there was a slim chance that I might find it there. Their store is about a half hour drive from my house, and so I told him that I would just shop somewhere else, which is what I did, and I found a better vanity. It cost a bit more, but the customer service makes up for it. I hate walking through IKEA, although I do like the meatballs.

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Nope, maifleur, no pickled fish with cinnamon for me yet. I will keep my eyes peeled for it and give it a try, as I love pickled herring. I was referring to their baked fish in the canteen/restaurant.

1 Like Save    
nicole___

I LOVE Ikea! I've used a lot of "things" for remodels or just to decorate my own home....never disappointed!

Note: If I just need one thing, I can order online and have it delivered.

Save    
bbstx

Zal, I assumed it was a missing comma but I couldn’t resist being a smart-alec . However, maifleur and her cinnamon fish kinda puts paid to that!

I’ve bought little at Ikea. Up until a year ago, the closest one was 6 hours away. Now, I only have to drive an hour and a half. I think I’ve been twice, maybe 3 times. Unless I have a list, I get so overwhelmed that I walk out with nothing.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Anglophilia

I love my Ikea island cart and the kitchen stool. I love their small bamboo carriers/storage pieces. Ikea has it's place. I would not want their upholstered furniture as my style is more traditional, and I want REALLY good upholstered furniture (think cotton batting, horsehair (the real thing), spring backs and cushions, and heavy frames. That's not Ikea.

But it has some great things. I pays to have some idea what one wants before going as these places are enormous, crowded and overwhelming. At my age, they are out of the question.

Save    
Kathsgrdn

When we went it wasn't overcrowded but it was on a Friday in the middle of the day. The checkout line was a little long...reminded me of Wal-mart: 15 checkouts and 3 open.

Save    
amylou321

I've never been in an IKEA store, but I have looked at their catalog and website and honestly,no. I could not see anything of theirs in my home. But to be fair to them, I have obnoxiously tacky taste.

Save    
functionthenlook

I have one 5 minutes away. I have been there twice and wasn't impressed. Don't like the layout of the store. For decor (not furniture ) I like At Home store.

Save    
desertsteph

I am considering getting a kitchen drawer cabinet maybe next year. I'd just have it delivered. the nearest store is an hour drive or maybe more and I wouldn't drive that far to get it. I need to spend some time rearranging what I have and clearing what I really no longer have use for in my cabinets to see how much more storage I actually need.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Working Ikea In
10 ideas for using pieces from the Swedish superstore to turn your room into a superstar
Full Story
Kitchen of the Week Kitchen of the Week: Ikea-Hack Cabinets and Fun Floor Tile
A designer turns an uninspiring kitchen into an inviting and functional contemporary space
Full Story
DIY Projects 10 Ikea Hacks to Take Your Design to the Next Level
Create a luxe look on a basic budget with these clever DIY projects
Full Story
Every project is a personal work of art, utilizing nature’s palette of perennials, shrubs and trees, creating a... Read More