SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hartwood_gw

Ikea Kitchen ... Would You Do It Again?

hartwood
11 years ago

Our daughter and her husband are going to be building their first house ... working with a very reputable custom builder. I have helped them fine-tuned the details and floorplan, and it is now time to turn our attention to the design and finishes in the kitchen.

A couple of weeks ago, she and I were in Ikea to pick up a couple of things. While passing through the kitchen department, my daughter practically swooned over their new Lixtorp line of cabinets. (It's so new that it's not even on their web site yet.) If you can imagine a combination of contemporary and dark oak Arts and Crafts style, then you'll have the right idea. The door and drawer design perfectly fit her personality, and she was oohing and aahing over the various drawer and cabinet inside fittings that are available.

She and I have an appointment with the builder later this week to go over the kitchen design. She loved the Ikea kitchen so much ... I need to know if it's worth pushing the builder to use these cabinets, or if we would be better served by trying to find a similar style at a reasonable cost from their supplier.

Just as a bit of background, I am very experienced in both stock, semi-custom, and custom kitchen cabinets ... having built all of these in our homes, homes of friends, and remodels for others ... that's why our daughter is leaning on me for advice and a LOT of handholding through this process. I've never done an Ikea kitchen, though. For those of you who have, what would you do?

Comments (15)