SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abqconiglio

"Cardboard" roses. Can you believe I want more?

noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I've been solely devoted to fragrant roses, primarily Austin roses, and wouldn't consider anything else. But the flowers of these roses tend to have a very short life span, a day or two in my hot dry garden. They get fried in the hot sun. An incidental situation may make me change my mind on these fragrant roses. My DH gave me a bouquet of red roses for Valentines day, named 'Freedom'. They were bright red (not in my garden's color scheme), and nearly scentless. Of course I had to try to root a stem, and it was successful. This summer it grew vigorously. In the last few weeks of temps in the mid 90's and humidity of 10-20%, it is blooming. The flowers open very slowly over a period of days rather than hours. Petals are impressively durable, like cardboard. There is a mild sweet fragrance (surprisingly delightful) which wasn't detectable in the bouquet. There is no sign of damage from the heat, no damage from thrips. The first flower lasted 2 WEEKS before fading. I'm impressed! It's quite satisfying to grow this "cardboard rose" perhaps even more so than what I've been growing.

Here it is after 3-4 days of temps in the mid 90's. Still s-l-o-w-l-y opening.

So now I'm wondering if there are any other "cardboard" roses that I can grow that are like this? Any ideas? Pink or white is preferred.

Comments (43)