SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hort_lvr_4life

Wal-Mart Dendrobium...can you believe I think it has a virus???

hort_lvr_4life
15 years ago

No, I am not amazed. My Wal-Mart purchased Dend. leaves something to be desired.

It's a hard-cane. What I believe to be a virus and/or disease looks like warts all over the leaves.

There are four canes. I don't know what the blooms look like because this is a gift from my (non-Horticultural) husband and it came to our home after it had already bloomed (I assume). Yes! My husband OVERPAID too...$15.00 for a sad-looking plant with not a single bloom or spike in sight. This comes right down to, "It's the thought that counts." So, as this is what counts...is it a virus/disease? Is there anything I can do for it (probably not). Will it at least bloom?

Onto MORE Qs about my Dend. (it's my first one ever - I'm a Phal. grower/caretaker):

I have read on this forum that lots of light is a plus. I have a three-year old son and a one-year old son who just can't keep their paws off my plants. How might I hang it in a south-facing window? I can do the hanging it's creating the right pot/setup to hang.

I have my plant in a 4" pot with Schultz Orchid Mix (rock and charcoal) with a little added sphag for moisture retention. I just repotted this plant. I had it in a 6" pot and read it needs to be a bit pot-bound so I repotted it. I think I've had it a little over a year. This past winter I didn't water it much (let it dry out a lot) and it was in a SW corner right by a west-facing window. No fert.

I am now using a 30-10-10 w/micronutrients added. I use the Clear2o pitcher to filter my tap water, but I checked the pH today and it's an 8!!! Even w/the slightly acidic fert it's an 8. I understand Orchids like 5-5.5. What do I do about that?

Thanks!

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling