SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
opaone

IR vs In-Floor heating ?

opaone
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Follow-up to: https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5588306/hvac-for-garage-shop-studio

This is for a detached building with a garage+entry+bath on the main level and a woodshop/photostudio + office/storage on the 2nd level. The 2nd level will be all white oak floors.

I think we've settled on mini-splits for the AC with a single compressor and 3 cassettes (one in office/storage and 2 in the peaks of the main shop/studio space). There seems agreement from many that this should also adequately cool the main level entry & bath. I'm also considering just running the linesets though and seeing how well it'd work with just open windows in the summer.

For heat I think it'd then be either IR or In-Floor.

From what I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong):

IR Benefits:

- Less cost to install

- Heats up faster

- Similar cost to run as in-floor?

- No gypecrete so floor will be more forgiving for aging knees.

IR Drawbacks:

- Uneven. Can be hot closer to unit and colder away from it.

- This would require electric baseboard for heat in UL Office/Storage, ML Entry & NL Bath which could be expensive to run.

In-Floor Benefits:

- Even heat throughout space

- Less costly to operate?

In-Floor Drawbacks:

- Takes longer to heat the space so will need to remember to turn it up early (I'm guessing I'll keep it around 40-50°f and then warm up to 64-72°f (higher temps required for photo shoots).

- Gypcrete will create a less forgiving or harder shop floor which might be harder on aging knees?

- Higher up-front cost of install.

Thanks,

Comments (4)