SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marc_millis

What to do? Solutions to prevent pipe freezing violate code

Marc Millis
4 years ago

DILEMMA: I have pipes that freeze (when < 10 deg F, few days/yr), but both possible fixes violate code. Option A: heater cables require accessible pipes, but the pipes need heat where the are either too close to wood or in a wall. Option B, is to convert the gap between the floor joints (where the pipes run) into the heat supply duct for the kitchen.

SITUATION: 1950’s era house, An exterior kitchen wall extends beyond the foundation wall by about 20” out , and 22” above ground The water pipes run along that extended floor and up the external wall.

MORE ON OPTION A: Plumbing Heat Cables are only supposed to be attached to plumbing that is in the open. The pipes need heat where they are too close to the exterior floor and up into the wall, where such heat cables are not supposed to be used. There is about 5’ of pipe upstream of that which is accessible (but with bends and valves). I’m not sure if putting heat cables on those accessible parts will keep the other sections of pipe warm enough.

If I did attempt to attach the cable to the pipes above the extended floor (before they go up into the wall), I’d have to reach 24“ laterally into the cavity between the floor joists to secure the cable to the pipes. I can only get my hands in there about 9” considering all the obstructions.

MORE ON OPTION B: I considered re-routing the heating duct for the kitchen (which is close by) so that it runs through the cavity between the floor joints and then up through the interior floor to the kitchen cabinet - putting the register at the toe kick of the cabinet. The problem here is that converting the cavity between floor joists into a HVAC supply duct violates code. It’s also a code violation to have plumbing inside ducts.

I’m not sure which wrong solution is less wrong or risky.

Comments (13)