SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cdee18

Bathroom Renovation/Code Violation?

cdee18
6 years ago

We have a bathroom that was added sometime after our house was built in the mid-sixties. It must have originally been a utility room, because the main circuit breaker box is in the bathroom. We knew this was a code violation when we bought the house and my solution was to put a baker's rack with towels and such in front of it. The rack is easily moved if needed, but would prevent someone from stepping out of the shower and opening the box (seriously, who would do that?)

This bathroom is in serious need of an update. The walls and floor are in bad shape and the shower is tiny. But....as soon as we get started on this project we are going to get slapped with a code violation. My husband says that to move the box would mean rewiring the whole house and would be horribly expensive, so that's not an option.

We're in the process of finding a contractor, but I thought some of you might give me some creative ideas to get the ball rolling. At this time, I don't have a good idea of how much this project will cost. Let's just say that we have available funds but don't want to blow our life savings on a bathroom. I realize that it will be costly.

Here's the bathroom layout and what surrounds it as it is now:

What if we built a cabinet or "closet" around the electrical panel? Would that bring it up to code? With the bigger shower and cabinet, there's only 26" between the shower door and new cabinet. I know this isn't ideal, but with the baker's rack in front of the panel, we currently only have 28" and it doesn't seem to be too small. Here's my proposed changes:

We will be working with professionals and doing this legally, but if anyone could give me their thoughts or opinions, I would appreciate it greatly!

P.S.-Are these drawings big enough to see clearly? This is my first time to post and I didn't want my files to be huge, so I scanned at 75 dpi. Is that a good size? THANK YOU.

Comments (23)