SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
omarmojo

Big House with White Vinyl Siding needs something?

omarmojo
4 years ago

We live on rural property and wondering what we can do with all those windows for curb appeal. We were thinking of dark shutters to break up the white. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Merilee

Comments (32)

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Shutters wont work because some of the windows need larger shutters than you have room for, other wise they may end up looking like tooth pick if you get what I mean. I might start with power washing and restraining the deck in a different color then I would put some thought into landscaping by going to a local nursery and seeing what will work for your soil and environment. I think the lack of anything pretty is making it "drab" . Not sure if it's possible but casing the windows and adding a trim color could help. Also, painting the front door would be a great asset as well. I suppose due to the lower windows expanding the deck maybe out but it would surly bring some balance. Is this the front of the house? A path to the front door would help too.

I know these are expensive ideas but I think putting your money at the yard is the place to start.

• omarmojo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That is awesome! This is the front but the side of the house faces the street. A design challenge for sure. Here is a pic of the side.

• Related Discussions

white spots on vinyl siding

Q

Comments (3)
    I don't know anything about vinyl siding either. Barring karinl's idea: Is there something above those areas with that same spacing that might be dripping on the vinyl? Unless you have an overhanging second story, I'd think probably something related to the eaves. What you're looking for is likely either white or metal (galvanized nails?), or else it would simply be locations/structures that make stronger drips: the force of the water would either be cleaning or abrading the vinyl.
    ...See More

House siding preferences besides vinyl?

Q

Comments (7)
    A few houses in my neighborhood had aluminum siding, it looks really nice. One thing good about it was that it came on a large roll so there are no overlapping/seams, whatever it's called, one continuous piece. Of course not a do it yourself project. My sister has major problems with some vinyl siding after a few years it starting getting brittle. You could run your fingernails across it and gouge it, also color faded. They tried to get them to honor lifetime warrenty, no luck. The state couldn't help because the Corp office was out of state. This was a big name siding company, no honor. Probably has since closed up moved and changed name.
    ...See More

Please Help Me Find the Vinyl Siding On My Old House

Q

Comments (4)
    @Classic Structures Inc. I live in the bay area. My wife is in Portland right now. If she can pick it from a store, that'd be great.
    ...See More

Need new siding ideas and colors as I tear off the 60s vinyl siding

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi CW, you did a great Job suggested the color for nmatela, looks great, is any one can suggested me what color vinyl siding and what type trim, the current plane is replace all the window to be white with white wrap boarder. white gutters but not sure about other color. help. MR.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Better size and placement of windows will fix the house...........sorta.

omarmojo thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • st5330
    4 years ago

i think shutters would help, landscaping for sure. building out the porch/roof might be cool

omarmojo thanked st5330
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

lots of cool things you can do here. but i do believe the landscape will help a lot.

omarmojo thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • HKO HKO
    4 years ago

Shutters will only accentuate that the windows are too short and long. Eg you’d make the visual appearance even longer. Like Beverly notes, correcting the window openings would go a long way. Also landscaping.

omarmojo thanked HKO HKO
  • omarmojo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

HKO HKO<, that's a good point, thanks! This house has 35 windows, so would be really expensive to change them out, although I would love to do so. We live on a small farm so trying to integrate the house into the farm, no easy task.

RL Relocation LLC, you mention staining the deck, would a red wood stain look good? The back of the house has an overhang and the wall is board/batten stained red wood.

• omarmojo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That is very interesting! Do you think a lattice work underneath the deck would work?

• Claudianne Young
    4 years ago

I would add shutters but not in black or gray. I’d use a color blue, green, or red. Then it wouldn’t be all black/white. Then I’d use that color in accents in the landscaping/ garden. I think lattice would look nice under the deck.

omarmojo thanked Claudianne Young
  • megs1030
    4 years ago

Landscaping will do wonders! Also, restaining the deck should also add some backyard appeal.

omarmojo thanked megs1030
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

I not sure if you should go with a color or just a natural wood look. i was thinking maybe even a gray. Need someone who can photoshop that too see I think. But a landscape plan is a must.

Do you think you could expand the deck?

• acm
    4 years ago

I am transfixed with the challenge of the side that faces the street. You didn't say anything about your style, and maybe it's a real farm so you want to keep the natural farmhouse feel, even if a bit homely. But I felt like it was desperately calling out for subdivision, and I ended up with this somewhat more modern color-blocked idea:

Maybe you could take this color scheme to do the window-linkages that Grover suggested for the other side...

I do want the entrance shed to be someting different, whether it's less (a more normal entry door with sidelight) or more (a more substantive portico to match the scale of the facade). I realize this isn't the main view, but...

omarmojo thanked acm
  • acm
    4 years ago

I know you have a porch, etc., on the other side, but I want something like this:

omarmojo thanked acm
  • acm
    4 years ago

Really, you'd get a lot out of some plantings around this -- a few shrubs, an ornamental tree, etc. Every house looks its best in a more gracious setting.

omarmojo thanked acm
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

I thought the same thing about the front of the house, i also agree that white might just be too stark! But start at the point you can afford and actually complete and move forward as you can. its a darn big project!

• Kathleen K
    4 years ago

I think Beverly's trim and paint designs are the best and could be a tan or soft sage green instead of grey. And RL Relocation is so right about landscaping making the biggest impact.

omarmojo thanked Kathleen K
  • partim
    4 years ago

@beverlyFLADeziner nailed it.

omarmojo thanked partim
  • awm03
    4 years ago

Wrap around porch with white railing & attractive columns or porch posts to connect the front & side? Also would break up the mass.

omarmojo thanked awm03
  • omarmojo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone- you all are so talented! So glad I found this site! So many good ideas.

RL - expanding the deck is definitely an option. This house is a challenge.

ACM - We loved your geometric idea and the subdivision theme, along with Beverly's window blocking! Our style tends towards the eclectic, with a homey feel. It is a homestead and your idea of the wood color on the side shed with expanded overhang is awesome. We were just talking about incorporating more wood into the design since we live in the PNW. Landscaping is a must.

awm03 - wrap around porch excellent!

Beverly - That looks much better than lattice.

Thank you all again so much.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

I know that lattice is an easy thing to reach for, but sometimes it's just not right. These ideas are just jumping off points for you to consider in place of shutters. The vertical elements I have created on your house could be contrasting wood or a metal trellis, etc. We're just trying to get you to think beyond what you know. Sketch, sketch sketch, cut and paste ideas.

What is baffling is this style home out in the country!!! It's hard to fix things if funds are a big issue. Have to be clever that's why paint and carefully placed trim can be your friend.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

Now you have to image it with landscape.

• omarmojo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh wow Beverly, that's is awesome! You also incorporated the wood look. This house was owner built and is bare bones. They had 8 kids and wanted a big house on a farm. We got a good deal on it so remodeled the inside (wish I knew about Houzz during THAT process) and still remodeling. So, yes, funds are limited. You have given me something to think outside of the box and I thank you. RL - it is time to get to the nursery and figure out the landscape. I have a question, can you paint a dark color over white vinyl siding?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Ok but it's just a suggestion. It's not well thought out yet so hire a professional for help

I'm thinking that the 'tower' needs to be reduced in height, so maybe by extending the roof and gutter line you can help with that visual.

Also I have extended the porch to the edge of the house and extended the porch roof line.

BTW I find the porch that extends so far to the left isn't really working. The deck should go out from the building IMO and should have a more graceful way of meeting the ground than those steps with the railing especially since there is a slope.

This is a bad example but at least the deck projects out from the house. Stairs are too big and useless but it's more the size you should consider.

omarmojo thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

I am not the painting gal, ACM? Cant wait to hear feedback from the nursery.

• omarmojo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beverly, that is a great idea! I like that the house resembles ours and the porch elongates outward. One issue we have is that the basement, which has 8 foot ceilings would be blocked from the sun if we expand the deck. Is there an easy workaround for that? RL, we are having a nursery guy come out to look at what we can plant in our area. Will keep you updated (should be in a week or two).

• urchinsushi
    3 years ago

Late on this thread but I’d love to see any updates!

• omarmojo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Urchinsushi, sorry for the late updates :) I had the worst time trying to get these photos posted last summer. With my husbands today's help, viola! We had the area regraded for parking spots and landscaping. There is still much to do for this spring including doing something for the vinyl siding or windows. Everyone was so helpful. Thanks again.

• urchinsushi
    3 years ago

Thanks for the update - I love the colorful landscaping and the new deck. Looks fantastic. I’m a fan of the horizontal skirting.
    Congratulations! I’m sure you are enjoying the new space.

• omarmojo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We are enjoying the new space. The area was regraded all around the house and huge boulders from the property was set by the hill coming into the driveway. Glad you liked it. Thanks!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

looks so much more inviting now!!

• omarmojo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks RL Relocation! Sorry it took so long to get these pics onto Houzz.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor