Literary Fiction

phyllis__mn

OK, who decides what is Literary Fiction? I just entered Fannie Flagg's Welcome to the world, Baby Girl into the August game. It is listed as Literary Fiction in a book site that I frequent. Not long ago, I read a list of those in this hallowed group, and was quite appalled at some of the books and authors.

SaveComment5Like
Comments (5)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolyn_ky

This from Google: Literary fiction is a term that has come into common usage in the early 1960s. The term is principally used to distinguish "serious fiction" which is a work that claims to hold literary merit, in comparison from genre fiction and popular fiction.

I surely don't know who decides what is what, and neither do I know who would say "in comparison FROM."

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Apparently a Google Genius.

1 Like Save    
astrokath

Which is why at the bookshop I work in we don't try to separate it out. We have sections for crime, sci-fi and fantasy, romance and classics (which we determine as books written by people dead for more than 100 years) and the rest is fiction. Even deciding what should go in the crime section is difficult. Some thrillers end up there and some are in fiction.

Save    
vee_new

I had always assumed that literary fiction was high-quality writing possibly bordering on the pretentious! The sort of book an author spent months working on before his/her publisher spent big bucks at various literary festivals and putting ads in the broad sheet papers promoting it.

. . . and they would never end a sentence with it.

1 Like Save    
annpanagain

Literary fiction to me is the high-brow type of book that gets into the Booker list and is discussed on TV book shows. Rarely does a murder mystery get included unless written by P D James! Not my kind of reading at all.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life Houzz Call: Where (and What) Are You Reading This Summer?
Whether you favor contemporary, classic or beach reads, do the long and lazy days of summer bring out the lit lover in you?
Full Story
Pro Tips 5 Creative Ways to Keep in Touch With Past Clients
Find out how keeping communication lines open can help you grow your business
Full Story
Life Simple Pleasures: Get a Book Club Going
Kick back with friends and a thought-provoking read for an event that’s entertaining and educational all at once
Full Story