SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyinri

Help With Backsplash Please!

NewEnglandgal
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Looking for ideas to steer me in the right direction for my backsplash and also what to do over my cooktop.
I like color and prefer not to have neutrals unless necessary.
I will add pictures in the comments as well.

Perimeter countertop

Island countertop will be leathered.

Comments (221)

• NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So is it really difficult to do a framed in portion over the cooktop? I sent a text to the tiler to ask him if he is familiar and he said he is not personally. Great. Now what?

I do not remember you posting the Turner but do remember the Steel you posted. I think the steel might be too dark with the perimeter?

I saw this tile but wasn't crazy about the shape.

I like the picket vertically. I'll have to see how they all look once the sheething is removed.

Any suggestions for over the cooktop to go with the Turner? This tile guy is giving me angina. I cannot believe none of his clients have used Lunada glass tile.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

if he has never set this type of tile, find someone else! heck, I used this paper faced glass tile when I did my own bathroom almost 10 years ago! It's not that difficult. He's a pro?? find someone else then because these glass mosaics can get out of hand if not laid correctly. you also have to offset the sheets so as not to see a 'grid' pattern

NewEnglandgal thanked Beth H. :
  • Related Discussions

Help with backsplash, please?

Q

Comments (2)
    At the border between the two tiles you will have a cut plain subway tile and a cut Antiga white tile unless you interlace the two types of tile since you have a running bond. Butting up a half plain subway to a full Antiga, alternating with a full plain subway to a half Antiga is the only way to get a straight vertical line between the two. You may need a trim or a vertical element to resolve how this looks.
    ...See More

some help with backsplash please

Q

Comments (10)
    In my old backsplash(I demoed it last week, so I cannot get a better picture for you), the backsplash ended at the cabinet line, NOT at the overhang. I'm not sure if you can see it all that well in this picture, but it is where the black toaster is located. It is a 6 in back splash and it ends right about where the toaster is, so you can see there is a bit of an overhang where the countertop is, but there was no backsplash over that small area. The only way I think this would look really out of place-following the counter line and not the cabinet line-would be if you have a REALLY busy backsplash. If that is the case, I'd get a large sample and tape them up and step back and take pictures and see which placement is the most pleasing to the eye.
    ...See More

Backsplash pictures? Please share your amazing backsplash

Q

Comments (3)
    We have walnut cabinets, a dark grey floor and stainless steel counters - very similar to your setup, but we have white painted boxes. We went with a handmade recycled tile, the debris series from fireclay. It was a fight to the death between a pale blue and a pale sage green, and a lot of discussion was had about format - 2x8 versus 4x4, etc. They have a lot of colors and formats to choose from. I was inclined toward white until it was all installed, and I realized that was too boring and the room needed color.
    ...See More

Backsplash? No backsplash? What kind of backsplash?

Q

Comments (25)
    didn't have time to read all the answers. I have no backsplash and have never regretted it...been over 6 yrs. It is painted with BM matte...which has ceramic in it. It is as beautiful now as it was when first painted. I love the fact that I can showcase other things ...art etc in my kitchen and no competition. Also if I ever want to change it is as quick as a paint brush...expense is minimal..paint only ! All in all I think it is serene as you point out . Here is one pick. Since I have a lot of high heat cooking in my kitchen..built in deep fat fryer as well as gas cook top I can definitely speak to the longevity of paint only. c ( more at this album )
    ...See More
  • NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well he was recommended by two people and I saw some of his work and it looked good.

He worked with someone else before going out on his own. He is busy and works on very nice homes by word of mouth. No idea why he has not done these. I told my husband we'll have to hire someone else to do the backsplash.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

or just show him a pic of what you want. and the tile sheets will look something like this

do not line them up like this( because if it's not perfect spaced, you'll be able to see the faint lines that look like a grid)

you stagger the sheets by offsetting them, or else you could get these grid lines:

when just about dry, soak paper and peel.

If he waits until the mortar is completely set, he won't be able to move any tiles that are out of square, or come loose. And it's much harder to clean up the mortar that oozes out between tiles.

Advise him not to use too much thinset or it will be hell to clean it out. like this:

if he doesn't use enough, when he peels the paper off he'll also peel off a lot of single tiles. has to be enough so that all tiles get set, but not enough that it oozes up between the tiles. If he waits until it's all dry to peel, and finds ooze, then he has to chip out all of the dried thinset w/a tool, possible damaging the glass. if it's still kind of wet, he can wipe it away.

normally w/this type of paper, you can wet it and peel it off within an hour or two.

Ideally your grout joints should look clean like this when the paper is peeled:

and if any of those glass tiles are see through, he has to smooth the trowel ridges before setting the sheet. he should be using a small notch trowel for these small mosaics. the ridges would look something like these.

if tiles are at all see through, those ridges will need to be smoothed w/the flat side of the trowel.

And of course it should be white thinset. I like to use Laticrete Platinum 254. it's recommended to glass tiles (since they are non porous and need more of a bonding type of mortar.)

• NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much Beth! I am going to speak with him Minday. I saw a tiler he is friends with on FB who has a ton of pictures of jobs he has done that look gorgeous and he had one that was paper faced iver cooktop. Looked fantastic so if he is not comfortable maybe he can get him to do it. I will show him your post. I really do not to to choose something else!
    Thank you SO MUCH for your help!
    How ate things going with your reno?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

slow. lol. put up the shelves last night, gave them a clear coat. have to order a new left door for new fridge. when he removed the ice maker face plate in order to get out all of the packing plastic, he put a small dent in the door. also had to order the new right door because of adhesive marks from the plastic (that shipping protective plastic does a lot of damage!) and the left door also needs a new rubber gasket. The left door is on back order and they have no ETA! So, i'm waiting on that. flooring goes down next week.

and i'm going to attempt to tile the black zellige tiles on the coffee bar area . just have to measure out the layout. (i'll have one other small shelf on the left wall. have to wait to see how the tile layout goes because I don't want to cut the tile around it)

• NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It already looks so nice! With the tile will be gorgeous.
    Not good luck with that refrigerator! What kind did you buy?
    Never a dull moment wh?
    Have you found stools you like? Im in search of those now. I did find cabinet pulls I like finally. Going to be brushed Gold for the kitchen.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

GE Cafe. it's a nice fridge, it's just that the packaging material and removal messed up the doors. and the gasket that goes around the inside of the door, got squished somehow. but i love the fridge.

I ordered the Chi stools here on houzz

if you look at my idea books-wishlist, you'll see the list of stools I had saved. The White /brass Chi is the one I got

• NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I had a GE cafe double oven and cooktop and loved them.

I got a Bosch french door for this house because they were having a good sale on Bosch at the time.

I will look at the stools. How can you tell if they are going to be sturdy? I think I would like low back swivel but not sure what color to get with the blue island.

Here are my pulls. They are actually called Honey Bronze

• just_terrilynn
    4 years ago

Hi NewEngland, just want to clarify that it’s small tile but done in a Big design. Different animal! Anyhoo, your kitchen is so beautiful that I have no doubts on the final .

NewEnglandgal thanked just_terrilynn
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

you just have to read the reviews.

i like the pulls. I actually found mine on Amazon. the blingy ones I ordered from AliExpress

• NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank ypu so much justerrilynn!

Beth I saw those and considered them. Cannot remember where I saw them but they were a consideration. Decided I wanted more square look.

• Momofthree Ma
    4 years ago

New England, I absolutely love those pulls! I am going to do black or nickel, but I love the shape, where are they from?
    This my absolute fave combo of all of your options. It’s beachy and light, but interesting at the same time!

NewEnglandgal thanked Momofthree Ma
  • NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Good Morning momofthree the pulls are from Top Knobs and called Ascendra. They have different colors. I am getting the dark for my laundry and nickel for my guest bathroom. probably for my master as well. My cabinets in the master are walnut.

• Fsal
    4 years ago

Following. NEGal gorgeous kitchen!!

• Candace Stevens
    4 years ago

Love your kitchen!! It looks similar to mine and I still have no backsplash. I’m waiting for you to decide. Lol

i used the Lunada Bay tile in my bathroom and my contractor never installed paper face tile that I had to show him how to do it. It wasn’t too difficult and it came out great.

Here is us a picture of my kitchen but I’m going to the ceiling with tile.

• NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Fsal!
    Candace your kitchen is much bigger than mine and very nice!
    I went against the idea that you cannot have 2 different countertops with 2 different cabinet colors. I did this is my former home as well but my island was cherry. I wanted a blue island then but knew we were selling and stayed with neutral colors.
    What color is your island? Cannot tell on my phone if it is dark blue or black.
    I am trying to pick out stools for my island. thinking wood. DH wants to find some in stores, not online because he wants to make sure they are well out together.
    If I don't do wood not sure what color to choose.
    I am going to speak to my tile guy on Monday. Beth was kund enough to show me a step by step orocess I can show him.
    If he does not feel comfortable there is another tiler I know who has done it and my tiler actually knows him well so it will work out.
    Having your tile go all the way up will be beautiful!
    I really love this last combination so really hoping it works!

• Candace Stevens
    4 years ago

NewEnglangal the island is navy blue.

Ive seen ever tile available to man and still can’t decide. Its a commitment I’m afraid making.

I went to a mosaic designer in Brooklyn and fell in love with her designs but still can’t Commit it’s the tile on the right.

Cant wait to see what you decide on.

• NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Candace I like the one on the right! So are you using that just over the cooktop or the entire backsplash?
    Are those stools from Serena and Lilly? I saw some like that I really liked but I have young grandchildren so trying to find low back stools that match and can be cleaned easily.
    Are you in your home now?

• Momofthree Ma
    4 years ago

Ooh, Candace, that navy and white tile is dreamy...might be busy for the whole space, but really beautiful!

• Fsal
    4 years ago

@Candace LOVE your light fixtures!! Are you keeping the hood white or also painting it navy like your island?

@NEGal what kind of stools are you looking for? Just got these from Ballard Design. They’re super sturdy.

• lucky998877
    4 years ago

Those stools are gorgeous!

• Candace Stevens
    4 years ago

Newenglandgal I would do the whole wall but I’m afraid it will be to much even though I want a wow factor. But I love it!!! The barstools are from Serena and Lily and very easy to clean. I have 4 young kids and 2 big dogs and wanted easy to wipe down.

we've been in for about a year next month.

Momofthree the navy and white is definitely too busy for my taste but the tile on the right I can choose the colors And make it a little more beachy feel.

Fsal the the lighting fixtures are my favorite part of my kitchen! They are from Kathy Kuo Home. My husband hates them ‍♀️ I’m leaving the hood white but it would look amazing blue. I might need to find out if I could paint it. Thanks for the idea.

Love those barstools. looking through their catalog as I type this.

• NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Candace how about painting the bottom band of the hood a blue to match? I have seen that done.
    I love the stools you both posted but we want stools that go under the counter.

• NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have decided to go with the picket tile vertically and the agate glass over the cooktop. Now going between hexagon or Japanaise pattern framed in.

The color is muted in the picture below but my friend, the tiler and I all agree it looks great together. Tiler loved my counters.

• Momofthree Ma
    4 years ago

New England, I love those tile selections, it’s going to be fabulous!

NewEnglandgal thanked Momofthree Ma
  • NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Not sure why my picture is tilted. The colors are muted as well.

I told the tiler I need him to measure the backsplash so I can order it and he said we'll get to it at some point. hmm.... but I want to order it NOW so it will be here by the time you are done with the other tiling!

How long till you have dry wall up?

I love Balboa Mist. You can match anything with it!

• Fsal
    4 years ago

How exciting! Congrats with being done with that decision

NewEnglandgal thanked Fsal
  • K R
    4 years ago

Such pretty tile! Can’t wait to see the final result!

NewEnglandgal thanked K R
  • NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thnk you Fsal and Karen.

• User
    4 years ago

following!

• ILoveRed
    4 years ago

Nice!

• Momofthree Ma
    4 years ago

How goes the progress on this gorgeous backsplash?

• NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi mom waiting on the tiler who has not worked at the house since Friday. He took a side job for a couple days. Maddening.
    Hoping he shows up today or tomorrow. These subs drive me nuts! Hopefully it will be done in the next two weeks. He does a good job but he only works about 4 hours a day lol. The other subs make fun of him.

• Momofthree Ma
    4 years ago

Ugh, frustrating, but you want it to be done right, so probably worth the wait! Can’t wait to see pics, send updates when you see progress :)

• NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I will post as soon as it is done I promise! I can't wait to see how your kitchen comes out. You must be getting excited.

• Sara
    4 years ago

I think you hired our tile guy, mom! He was the most frustrating sub of our whole remodel-would come for a couple hours then wander off and we wouldn’t see him for days. Our contractor stopped using him after our job.

• Jazz Lover
    4 years ago

Hi NewEnglandgal- what did you do for trim color with that white cabinet color. I’ve chosen a similar color and am debating a trim color. Most say you don’t want a stark white as it’ll make the cabinet color look “off”-Same say to match the trim same as the “white” cabinet color. Just curious what you did as it all looks so amazing! Thx!

• Trish Walter
    4 years ago

@NewEnglandgal I am no help, just came to drool.

• NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jazz hopefully you can see in the picture....where the cook top is, because the cabinet piece over that reaches the celing we painted it's trim the same as the cabinets-BM Balboa Mist.
    The actual trim on all windows, doorways and crown are SW Extra White.
    My shelving and cabinets surrounding my fireplace are also done in Balboa Mist with the Extra White crown molding above it.

Trish no help needed! My backsplash is done and have been in my home since October 4th!

• Trish Walter
    4 years ago

@NewEnglandgal looks great!

• NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Trish!

• Jazz Lover
    4 years ago

Thanks NewEnglandgal! Turned out so lovely and I love all of the wall colors. My issue will be cabinets will go all the way to ceilings and the crown will die into it from great room so I may be stuck with that trim color having to stay with the flow. Hmmm all things to consider. Thanks so much! Enjoy and hope you and yours have a wonderful holiday this Season in your new home! Blessings!

• NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mine connects to the white as well in the kitchen. Do what you think will look best! Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving as well! When do you think your homecwill be ready to move into?

• Momofthree Ma
    4 years ago

The finished product looks so beautiful, New England! The floors are fantastic! I hope you are loving the space.

• NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Mom, how is your renovation finishing up? You will be all ready for Thanksgiving.

• Momofthree Ma
    4 years ago

Almost done...paint is happening next week and then we are officially done! I am going to do a post construction photo shoot once our Christmas decorations are up, so I am looking forward to that :)
    It’s going to be so fun to host holidays in our new spaces!

• traci_from_seattle
    4 years ago

I’m glad this post was bumped...I just love another chance to see your kitchen! It’s one of my favorites.

• Kristin S
    4 years ago

I love how this turned out, and I really love seeing your Pale Oak cabinets with the black counters. We're leaning toward a pale greige for the cabinets with our leathered black granite, and I was having trouble visualizing it, but you took care of that for me. And it looks lovely!

• NewEnglandgal
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mom that is wonderful. I xan't wait to see your pictures with all your holiday decorations!

Thank you so much for your kind words traci.
    Kristin my cabinets are actually painted BM Balboa Mist which is a light greige color so you are seeing a very close example of what your kitchen will look like.
    Where are you on your build?