SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petula67

Front door light battle: Fixture size or house style?

4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Can you help solve this lighting problem?

The facts: We have a somewhat plain colonial style house with wiring for a fixture above the front door. The current fixture, which we chose on purpose, looks just plain wrong. Really wrong. See pictures.

The physical constraints: Very limited space. The fixture can't be taller than 6" from center of the backplate to the top due to the overhang from the 2nd story. The backplate itself can't be larger than about 5" diameter due to location of the box for wiring. The total fixture height can't be taller than about 11 inches so as not to interfere with the storm door.

The old (original?) fixture was a very small lantern type, maybe 8" tall. It's now on the shed in our back yard and has a wasp where the light bulb used to go. Picture included.

The challenge: It's really hard to find anything to fit the space that isn't a barn light style. I REALLY don't want a barn light.

So what size and style would look right for this house? Should it be tiny? Should we choose something very minimal like the bar light example at the end of this post? Should we evict the wasps and refurbish the old light?

I'm guessing people might add suggestions about shutters (presence, mounting, size, color), front door color, the fact that the fence needs repainting, that the front garden looks untidy, etc. All comments are perfectly welcome. I will read them and consider them. I might not do anything about them, but they'll make me take a fresh look, so that's good. But please don't forget to weigh in on the lighting question, too.

House A · More Info

House A · More Info

Old fixture, very small

House A · More Info

Would this look dumb?

Comments (24)