SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_18089767

Linear Drain Remodel Hell :-/

User
4 years ago

This bathroom is a beauty that I’m proud of, but this final element of installing the linear drain has been utter hell.

If anyone has help to share a good solution (INHO, a drain with a flange that lays over the tile...), I would be ever so grateful.

Issue 1.

• original install was tile insert linear drain, but first contractor put in the base, but didn’t place it well so the tile insert wouldn’t fit in nor be able to stay atop the base (too low)

Issue 2.

• I got a new drain and had asked to fit the new metal linear drain cover (only); it needed only a small cut to tile on one side to fit it, and solution would have been there....but when 2nd contractor did this he cut the whole much larger so that new metal BASE would fit, and thus damaged the tiles around it. (Thus disallowing solely the metal drain cover, and requiring the whole new system to be inserted)

Issue 3.

• the new metal base does not fit fully into the space, above the original base, mainly due to part of the metal trim still sits above the tile (on one side mainly, as tiles were not evenly placed around the perimeter)

Challenge to solve:

• fit the new metal base inside so that the trim is flush with tile, so water doesn’t accumulate around drain edges
  • find a way to cover the chipped tiles in the permitter
  • find a good caulk, grout or similar to be water resistant and provide good seal.

Thanks for any suggestions or questions to solve this 3 month nightmare of finding a solution....

Much appreciated,
Brad

PS yes I do have confidence there was a good install of membrane below the tile; we did a flood test and the slope works very well in all areas of the shower floor (except one corner that’s a little slow)

PPS - as above, my thinking a drain with metal flange permites that’s sits above the tile would be easiest solution, but there are none on the market that have this; even I called Kerdi drains and they said none of their products would work, as their flange goes below tile.

PPPS - the opening now is 24” long, and 2.75” wide.

EOM

Comments (7)