SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rgrin2000

How to find the right pro... when you don’t live there yet?

rgrin2000
4 years ago

We’re planning on starting a project in January, and want to start looking for the right GC. But I don’t know where to look, what kinds of questions to ask, and how to tell if someone is competent or not. My FIL was a GC and knew all about this, but he passed away several years ago, and all of his buddies and subs have moved or passed away as well. So, we’re kind of feeling alone, here.

My aging MIL is selling us her house (built in the early 70s), and we are adding on a 3-car garage, an attached MIL suite, and adding on to the Master Suite to change the current 3/4 bath to a full-sized, “aging in place” appropriate bathroom with a walk-in closet. Not a small, uncomplicated job.

To make things more difficult, my MIL doesn’t want to be the one making decisions. She wants me or DH to be the contact point. However we currently live on the other side of the U.S., and we cannot move our family out there yet when there is not room for us. Therefore, this GC will have to be excellent in regards to communication and somewhat flexible... in addition to being knowledgeable, honest, etc. We could fly out for a long weekend to help her interview people and discuss plans/ideas, but it would be so much easier if we could narrow down the options before spending the time and money on the trip.

I’ve been trying to come up with some ideas on my own, like the master bath addition shown below, but we will need to pick someone before plans can really proceed any further. So, other than the Houzz Pros, are there any other websites that might have trustworthy reviews on GCs? And is there a good list of interview questions?

Comments (11)