SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sirrith

Silverfish conundrum

Thomas
4 years ago

Hello all, so my home is 2 years old after having been completely renovated, and we've been having a bit of a silverfish problem in the past year or so. We don't have crumbs or food scattered around, everything is kept in lidded containers, we vacuum regularly, and we have dehumidifiers constantly running at 50% year - round.
I keep reading that silverfish need humidity to survive, but they keep appearing despite the low RH in our flat. I also read that they don't like garlic, but several times now I've found them hiding literally inside my terracotta garlic keeper! What's wrong with these silverfish!? Are they a new sub - species that likes low humidity and garlic??
I've also tried setting bait traps with masking tape wrapped jars and bits of bread inside to no avail.
Please help :)

Comment (1)

• Fun2BHere
    4 years ago

I fight silverfish all the time because I have a lot of books and they love paper. I use the boric acid packets in the areas where I know they will go and I find that if I keep everything well vacuumed, I see fewer of them. Luckily, I mostly find them in the den where the books are, not in the kitchen.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!