SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nathan_prescott77

Help with bedroom layout

Taylor G
4 years ago

Hello, I'm posting here because I need some help figuring out how to arrange my bed in my non-ideal bedroom situation.

I am in the process of repainting my room and will soon have all of the furniture moved out, so it's a great time to rearrange. But I am having trouble figuring out the best way to arrange my furniture, specifically my bed. I currently have it arranged as pictured below. I am working with an 11' x 11' room that I rent out, so I need to be able to work on a desk and also want to keep my television in there as I do not have any other rooms in which to put that stuff. I have a double/full size bed and am unwilling to switch to a twin size bed to save space. Those are the things that need to remain in the room, but I'm fully open to changing the layout and basically anything else.

Back to the bed. I have tried a number of different orientations for the bed, but they all seem weird. I know that typically the headboard is against the wall, but it seems to me to look kind of awkward and make the rest of the room look crowded and/or breaks it up in to several small (useless?) areas. Also, I don't technically have a headboard as the mattress is resting on only a simple bed frame, so I tend to arrange the pillows against the wall when I make my bed in the morning. It seems weird to put the bed against any wall other than walls 1 or 2, since wall 3 has a large closet and large low window, and wall 4 has built-in bookshelves that I would definitely hit my head on frequently. Also, I don't want the shelves to be over my bed in the event of a major earthquake.

I don't know anything about interior design, so maybe rotating the bed other ways only seems weird to me because I don't know what to do with the negative space left over after the bed is rearranged. I don't really plan to get new furniture for a few months, so for now I have to work with what I already have. BUT I would love to hear any suggestions for different types of furniture if what I have now isn't as functional as it could be, since I might be able to get some later this year. If anyone has any suggestions for a functional furniture arrangement that still allows my room to appear as large as possible then that would be helpful. I've also included some notes on the layout image in case they are relevant.

Lastly, it may not have come across in my lengthy description of the situation, but I am shooting for an aesthetically pleasing space if possible. I don't want the room to be purely functional, I would like it to be nicely designed as well.

Thank you so much in advance for your time yal!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm